Weaning off the coffee carousel. ... this time, for reals.

Anyone with me?! Ahh, even if not....

Starting out, I'm not even going to say I'm aiming to go to zero. One cup a day and I would be pleased as punch.

I'm too embarrassed to say how much I drink. Let's just say, trying to keep track these last few days of exactly how much I'm ingesting, I couldn't even nail down a number in cups. Certainly an addict!!!

Forget the whole decaf thing. If I'm going to do this, I'm not going to tease and torture myself with coffee that doesn't even taste good to me.

Recently I posted a thread about feeling wacked-out in my own head, anxious and not present, and it suddenly dawned on me that this is one place where I'm probably making things worse (if not it being one of the major causes). It's not an exaggeration to say for years now, it's been literally pots a day going into my system. Yikes. Even admitting it. Yikes.

Well, surely this isn't a big deal compared to quitting smoking eh. lol. And I did that.

"But I like the caf". (will anyone get that reference?! lol).

Is there anyone out there as addicted as me? Please join me out here on a limb.

Oh, I get it TOTALLY! I'm ALSO a caffeine addict, and you know, as much as I like, no LOVE the stuff, the effect it has on my body I can tell within hours, is POISON to my system.

I get all hyper (that part i like) but also so achey and just generally don't FEEL WELL hours after I ingest the stuff.

And at $2 a cup almost... you do the math.. I cannot count the number of bills i could pay off if I'd simply QUIT!

Yeah, I'm also aiming for the 1 cup of day, but now it's summer, it's also ICE TEA weather, which i love to drink.

So.. how bout we do a caffeine buddy withdrawal system itsallgrand??

We could print our progress here... If we do good and don't drink more than a cup, come print that.. or if we fall off wagon, we cud print that too, and maybe encourage each other to NOT drink coffee next day.....

What do you say?

Thanks! Oh, I'm thrilled to have a buddy who can post along with me.

It totally made me chuckle when you said, it's summer and iced tea weather. Iced tea, ice caps, iced lattes. But I'm figuring with the heat, it's also a better time because I get genuinely thirsty more often - and want more water, and juices and the like. So maybe replacing will be a big easier. Won't have to deal with the 'but I want a hot drink in my hand' thing.

And yes, I often feel unwell from it too. It is really catching up.

I'm going to be starting - today - with cutting down. Otherwise the headaches will be pretty bad.

Thank you and I'm excited you're along with me for this.

I'm a caffeine addict too! What I *try* to do though is to have one rocket-fuelled ingestion of lovely coffee on the way to work as my 'treat'. I drink far too much, I think this is a great goal. I'm going to cut back to one a day I think - I'm exhausted at the moment, and I know that drinking water has got to be better than all the coffees I chug down!

When I quit caffeine the first time around (temporarily back on with my one cup of green tea to offset low iron fatigue) I supplemented with a good amino acid supplement and also cut refined sugar out entirely. Helped to eventually get my chemicals rebalanced naturally.

If anything, I understand the coffee thing, but is anyone close to being an energy drink addict? I was there for awhile with Full Throttle, and good lord, I had some withdrawals there for a few days after I stopped drinking them. Those drinks are truly dangerous!

Thank you for all the responses! wow.

Hike, the symptoms I've been experiencing have been anxiety, nervousness, not being able to focus, getting headaches, feeling drained, and sometimes my stomach aches. I'd never before in my life gotten heartburn: and recently, I got it for the first time (pretty sure). My god, it's not nice. Explained all this to a friend and she said, yup, it's probably hurt burn, and it's probably all that coffee you drink.

How can something so obvious go so long without really seeing it. It's weird. There are other reasons that I may be having these symtoms, or at least contributing, but realistically - it was not an exaggeration to say I drink a few pots a day, more often than not. Working a few jobs at a time, keeping weird hours and being on the move accross the city all day and night long, it's kept me going.

I didn't get into the energy drinks (think most of them taste like those 'rockets' candies we had growing up lol) - but have you ever looked on the side of the bottles? Lots and lots of caffeine. Sometimes there is guara in there too. And other things I had to look up.

So far, so good. I'm drinking a lot of water with lemon today. It's hot here. Sorry to be going on so much.

OP, I am soooooo with you!

I tried quitting cold-turkey last year, and got sick and had a terrible migraine, and I haven't been brave enough to try quitting since.

However, treatment of recent health issues has required me to start cutting back--I'm hoping that within a couple of weeks I can have weaned myself off of it almost entirely. Good luck, though! Hope it goes well for you.

I didn't BREW any coffee nor buy anything, but i DID get some Coffee Latte drink in a can from grocery store.

Gosh, was i buzzed, anxious and out of sorts today. I couldn't concentrate on anything!

I'm sorry i drank it, but other than that.. NO COFFEE! I'm a bit proud of myself and I MUST say, my body is definitely feeling better.

As a woman, I find that drinks LOTS of coffee makes my breasts tender & achey... it affects your adrenal glands & other stuff too.

There IS a book out there that talks about the BAD effects of coffee. cannot think of the name now... but I read it once and was shocked.

Yeah.. heartburn from coffee.. it's an AWFUL feelings.... that's reason enough one of my friends quit after he was a pot a day man!

Keep on trucking, we can do this! Now to find a good spot to get my daily fix of iced tea!

Does... drinking coke count? I have had some COKE in the frig but it's not the diet coke, which ALSO makes me feel weird and out of sorts!

Lots of chemicals in all these drinks, you must understand. I had several nurses caution me to NEVER drink DIET sodas.

Haven't tried Chock Full o' Nuts. I might order some online now lol to try as my one cup a day.

You're lucky, Miss F. Some people seem to have stomachs of steel. I used to think I was one of those people, but, not anymore!

This is a strong coffee, so even if you can't find it on sale it's a good buy. I use less of it than most. I fill my coffee pot to about half past the six cup mark, I guess that means 7 cups lol. Then I put two tablespoons just barely over the rim of the spoon. That's about perfect for me. I've never had anything better. I always wait for my store to put it on sale for $5.99 because usually it is $10.99 for the big can. That's too much. I buy about four cans at a time so I won't run out.

The worst thing to me is switching coffees because you have to figure out how much coffee to water to make it perfect. I hate the trial and error thing.

I wish I didn't have this addiction, but it's better than crystal meth or crack.

The caffeine messing with the adrenal glands/ hormones is one of the biggest reasons I want to do this. My hormones are wacked out enough as it is.

Honestly, I'm not feeling any better yet. Having cut down to two to three cups at this point. I'm tired. But will keep on with this. Seems normal I'd be tired. Good to hear my buddy is doing so well. But yeah, unless it's the caffeine free soda - most of them have a good dose of caffeine in them. It'd be easy to trade over coffee to pop, for the caffeine.

My order is in for the chock full o' nuts. lol. I don't mind paying a bit more online to try it, one of the things I really love about coffee isn't just the caffeine but all the different kinds there are to try and honestly the whole ritual of it. I have so much paraphernalia. But for sure know what you mean about how it can be a pain trying to get the right ratio when changing coffees.

If anything, I understand the coffee thing, but is anyone close to being an energy drink addict? I was there for awhile with Full Throttle, and good lord, I had some withdrawals there for a few days after I stopped drinking them. Those drinks are truly dangerous!

Never liked those things. When I was in college, Mountain Dew was the drink of choice, or Jolt

I had to buy a new coffee pot last night. The reason I was having to use less coffee to water lately is because my pot was ruining the coffee.

So now with the Chock Full coffee, I am using a good full (slightly over the top) tablespoon of coffee to 2 cups of water. Today I made six cups water to three T. coffee. It is perfect! Hope you love the coffee as much as I do.

Having a little heartburn, but I think that is because we have been drinking a lot of Crystal Light lemonade the last few weeks. First ingredient is citric acid. I will stop drinking that and hope it lets up. It just can't be my coffee, it can't be.

LOL. Ok, I'll even try your ratio. A nice new coffee maker - those first pots, ahhh.

Damn it, go and decide to give up the joe and finally reach someone who can match my passion for the stuff.

Oh, the coffee shops we could explore together Miss F.

I'm not doing too bad. Sitting at the 2-3 cups for now. Have been having headaches. So waiting those out first. Not as exhausted as yesterday. But had some wild dreams? Bah, who knows.

LOL. Ok, I'll even try your ratio. A nice new coffee maker - those first pots, ahhh.

Damn it, go and decide to give up the joe and finally reach someone who can match my passion for the stuff.

Oh, the coffee shops we could explore together Miss F.

I'm not doing too bad. Sitting at the 2-3 cups for now. Have been having headaches. So waiting those out first. Not as exhausted as yesterday. But had some wild dreams? Bah, who knows.

I am so sorry you have to do this, IAG. I am sad for you because coffee is such a huge part of my life and I know what you must be going through.

That is pathetic. I know it is.

I tried a different brand this time. All the ones I've had in the past were pretty much junk. This is a Bunn, like the ones they use in restaurants. It has a reserve tank, weird. But the coffee was excellent this morning.

I love coffee. I don't think I could give it up. It is mandatory that I have one large cup of McDonald's coffee when I come into work.

Usually I will have 1 or two more cups during the day.

I just got my shipment of Gevalia coffee yesterday......It is sooooo good. They have a new flavor. Pecan Torte......I haven't tried that one yet but I will......

Archived