herpes panic!!!!!

I've known this guy about a year and have never seen him get coldsores. However today I stayed at his house and we kissed nothing more. Then later I saw in his bathroom he had a cream for coldsores. Now I am MAJOR panicing. I asked him do you get coldsores he said no. Then i said well i've found a cream and he said he got one once like 6 months ago but I now don't believe a word he said. I'm completely freaking out... like how likely am I now going to get coldsores? And also if I ever touch my mouth, coldsore present or not and then touch my genitals straight away or a while after will I spread it down there and get genital herpes????????????

Also can I never give oral sex again 'cause I'll spread it to their penis?!?!

As far as I'm aware, you can only catch the virus if you have a break in your skin which then gets infected by bodily fluids when the other person HAS a cold sore. People who have the virus won't have cold sores all the time (there are certain 'trigger factors' like stress, for example) and shouldn't be infectious at other times.

If you actually have a cold sore you should be careful about spreading it to other people, and certainly don't do oral sex!

its very rare to spread oral herpes to the genetalia and vice versa. Don't worry too much about it. half the population has HSV-1 (the oral variation), so getting infected by it is inevitble for most people.

sorry i disagree. from what i have read, it IS possible to spread from mouth to genitalia. and there is a remote possibility of asymptomatic shedding where the virus sheds even when there are no symptoms. you don't necessarily have to have symptoms to transfer the virus.

Theoretically possible I guess, but INCREDIBLY unlikely.

Just trying to think how often I touch my mouth and then my genitals right afterwards... nope... nope...

You're probably fine. If I were you, I'd tell him you got a fright and ask him to reassure you. Go by how he reacts as to where you go from here.

I've known this guy about a year and have never seen him get coldsores. However today I stayed at his house and we kissed nothing more. Then later I saw in his bathroom he had a cream for coldsores. Now I am MAJOR panicing. I asked him do you get coldsores he said no. Then i said well i've found a cream and he said he got one once like 6 months ago but I now don't believe a word he said. I'm completely freaking out... like how likely am I now going to get coldsores? And also if I ever touch my mouth, coldsore present or not and then touch my genitals straight away or a while after will I spread it down there and get genital herpes????????????

Also can I never give oral sex again 'cause I'll spread it to their penis?!?!

Woo, i think you are going to far with this. Are you going to break up your relatioship because of that? Can he prevent his self from having the cold sore's? Is that so much of a big deal?

So our reaction has alot to do with situations and how it is handled.

Out of 100%, we only don't have control over 10% of thethings which happens and we have control of it 90%.

(How)

You can not prevent him from having herbs. 10%

But now you are aware, you asked him, do you ever had cold sores he said no, you get all stressed out, thinking and so on, for what? safe energy.

where as you have notice he has cold sores he lied and then amittes it, you can simply say, hey honey tell me about it, or you can say, well im glad that you took care of it, and maybe tell him how you feel about it and move on.

Tell me the difference in the scenario.

So therefore after speaking about it, you get over it, no stress, no worries, both of you on a new peaceful chapter. you control 90% in a good way. So our reaction to situation means alot in relationships.

like how likely am I now going to get coldsores?

Hard to say. You may already have oral HSV-1. A very large % of the population has oral HSV-1. If you don’t, then you could get it from him, but you and he can take precautions to prevent transmission.

As far as I'm aware, you can only catch the virus if you have a break in your skin which then gets infected by bodily fluids when the other person HAS a cold sore. People who have the virus won't have cold sores all the time (there are certain 'trigger factors' like stress, for example) and shouldn't be infectious at other times.

The break in the skin need not be obvious – people catch herpes from kissing all the time, and I’m sure most of those people don’t have bleeding lips at the time. Similarly, a guy can get herpes even if he uses a condom – even though there is no obvious break in the skin at the base of his penis or his testicles.

People who have the virus won't have cold sores all the time (there are certain 'trigger factors' like stress, for example) and shouldn't be infectious at other times.

They are infectious when shedding virus asymptomatically as well. The problem is that you don’t know when asymptomatic shedding is happening.

its very rare to spread oral herpes to the genetalia and vice versa.

Not true. Relatively recent studies show that ~50% of newly diagnosed genital herpes cases are HSV-1 infections. The vast majority of those will be from a partner with oral HSV-1.

So right now if i touched my mouth then touched my genitals i would possibly give myself genital herpes despite not having any coldsores present?

If you have had oral HSV-1 for a long time (like since childhood), the antibodies in your blood make you highly resistant to autoinoculation genitally.

So right now if i touched my mouth then touched my genitals i would possibly give myself genital herpes despite not having any coldsores present?

No. You're over-reacting. If you have a cold sore, then yes, wash your hands. But as the old ads say, you don't catch STDs from toilet seats, so you're not going to get genital herpes this way.

There is a lot of scaremongering about cold sores on this website recently. It's a cold sore.

The majority of the population has been exposed to herpes. (Chicken pox is actually a form of herpes, a different strain than cold sores though). Cold sores are not just sexually spread. There is so much negative social understanding (or misunderstanding) of cold sores it sickens me. Someone with cold sores is not dirty or promiscuous. Just relax and stop being so ignorant.

Archived