Full time university AND working part time? Good idea?

I've been stressing about money issues lately, and I'm getting worried about the upcomming school year. My parents are supporting just enough to cover all the basic requirements: tuition, rent, and food. Which is great, but it doesn't give ANY leeway for other things that make life enjoyable (ie. party, buy that one top i really like, eat out with friends, movies, etc).

My parents give me JUST enough at the first of every month to cover the basics, as stated above, but I dont want that dreading feeling of spending the very last dollar in my bank account until my next "payment".

In case i don't get a summer job (i just finished summer school, and there's only 2 months left until Fall term), I was thinking of working part time during the school year. I've never done that before (except for highshcool), and i'm afraid that the extra work will have a negative effect on my grades. I'm a decent student, and I'm trying to maintain a good record so i qualify for a co-op program later on, and possibly scholarships. I'll be taking 5 courses per term. Last term, I took only 4 courses and received As in all my classes...

I really don't want to be one of those people counting every last penny, and have to turn down a "girl's night out" because of financial limitations.

What is a good way to balance work/study/play/? Has anyone gone through this? I know this is handled differently for everyone, but i just want a general perspective.

You might look into on campus work. It is generally minimal hours and sometimes you can do schoolwork on the job. I used to work in a university library and I was never opposed to my students working on their school work while they were there. They just had to make sure that everything was done by the end of the night. If they didn't then I made them stay until it was done to my satisfaction.

Its not easy to juggle school and work but it can be done.

Good luck!

owb

i've done it before and you can have the good grades and work. Just make sure you work somewhere between 12-18 hours a week. I tried working thirty hours while going to school full time and it killed my grades. just make sure that no matter what, you give more time to school because thats the most important.

Hey... i do 7 hours on one day of the week and the rest i dedicate to study.. its about time management really.. depending on what you can handle just make sure that your grades dont get affected.. I used to work two days but now i prefer just one day as I was in 1st year before and i could handle it..but the 2nd yr will be harder and of course

hope that helps best of luck xxx

I was a full time college student and worked at a radio station group.

Back then a typical day of mine looked like this -

midnight-6am - work at the radio station, then go home and sleep til 10:30 or 11, then get up, shower & dress and go to classes from noon until 5 or 7, then go home and sleep til 11pm, then get up and go back to the radio station by midnight.

I worked overnights 5-6 days a week and went to school fall, winter & spring quarters and took summer off school.

I did that for about 2 years and I was a physical and mental wreck at the end of it....but I supported myself and managed to graduate...and walk right into a full time job prior to graduation.

The plus side was I could read/study while I was working because one station was fully automated and the other was on satellite programming. I was there to babysit the transmitter, transition in and out of local commercials, and just in case something (storms, school cancellations for the morning, the country was attacked, etc.) happened. Outside of severe weather every once in a while, nothing ever happened.

But anyway, I understand not all jobs are like that....most of them will actually expect you to do something (of their choosing) while you're on the clock. So, most jobs won't give you the opportunity to multi-task by studying at work.

Was it difficult? Yup. Could I do it now? Physically there is NO WAY I could live on 3 or 4 hour naps and be functional. When I was 19 & 20, I could....but not now. The other reason I managed to pull it off then was because that was the point where I was still completely in love with the radio business. That was where I wanted my career to be. We find the energy to do some crazy stupid things when we're in love...and, in that respect, being in love with a job/career is no different from being in love with a person.

However, doing that taught me organization & time management skills in a very real and memorable way, and that has served me well. It also taught me that I'm tougher and capable of more than I sometimes think I am.

IMO, it's one of those things that builds character. And things that "build character" generally aren't a whole lot of fun when you're in the middle of doing them. The value they add to your life isn't apparent until after you're past the hard part.

You think you are bad off but trust me you are not. You don't even have to pay your necessities, so anything that any money you would get would just simply go to "make a better lifestyle".

I'd suggest going with a part-time job, just keep the hours low, as in under 15 hours a week and it won't affect your grades.

hey guys i used to have it tough myself i have an apartment in which i had to contribute to bills and mortgage..thats why there was a need to have the job.. but now i am moving back home for final year soo.. its better.. and i can rent the apartment to cover the mortgage...

But remember your studies are more important, having experience is good while studying but..make sure you dont let it affect your grades.. if you feel like you cant handle it and its too much either cut your hours or leave.. just test it and see how ur work goes..(",)

I chose not to work part time while going to school full time because I knew that I was a person who needed to study many hours in order to get A's -- in hindsight I probably overstudied but at the time, psychologically, I needed the comfort level of all of that studying. I did not regret it.

On my old campus, you could get as few as 5 hours of work per week. If you get a 10$/hr salary, that should leave you more than enough money to do stuff with the girls every week ex: movies and dinner. Or every second week to do something a bit more outrageous ex: shopping trip, spa day.

I chose not to work part time while going to school full time because I knew that I was a person who needed to study many hours in order to get A's -- in hindsight I probably overstudied but at the time, psychologically, I needed the comfort level of all of that studying. I did not regret it.

I was going to say, unless you have a very high aptitude (i.e., IQ), your grades will most definitely suffer. Even working as little as 10-15 hours a week can be killer if it's poorly scheduled (e.g., working 8 hours on Sat/Sun vs working 3 hours in between or after classes everyday during the week).

I worked all 5 years (lol, are you getting my drift?) as an undergrad. Worked 25-30 hours a week, and it just killed my grades. I graduated with a 3.1, but I know I would've gotten honors (at least cum laude) if I hadn't worked so much.

Keep in mind that when you work during the semester, you also have to count the side effects that come with working (added stress, fatigue, etc), beyond just the direct loss of study time while you're at work (unless of course, you're lucky enough to get a job like shes2smart where you basically get paid to study).

I worked part-time during college too and it is tough. It does teach you time management though which is an important skill. My social life did take a bit of a nose-dive because I had to catch up on studying when I could. I worked about 15 hours a week, which on top of 4 classes plus at least one lab per semester was a lot.

You should just weigh the pro's and con's of working and make sure that is it is something that you really need to do and that it is something you could handle.

One thing that would absolutely make it worthwhile is if you could get a job in (or near) the career path you want to pursue after your schooling.

Being able to make contacts in the business you're interested in can put you in prime position to land a full time job shortly after you graduate.

Being able to make contacts in the business you're interested in can put you in prime position to land a full time job shortly after you graduate.

Not only contacts but the experience. It looks a lot better than a blank resumé with high grades.

i've done it before and you can have the good grades and work. Just make sure you work somewhere between 12-18 hours a week. I tried working thirty hours while going to school full time and it killed my grades. just make sure that no matter what, you give more time to school because thats the most important.

+1. Studies have actually shown it's better for college student to work some, but not more than 15-20 hours a week. It's good for structure and all that.

Definitely try working a part time job. It's not THAT hard to work and go to school. Like someone said, it's all about time management. You're in a good spot with having your parents pay for all of the basics... really lucky there! If you worked just 10 or so hours a week you would have some extra for the "fun" things

Full-Time Employees Can't Can&#...
Full-Time Employees Can't Can't Afford Rent 2021

Archived