Friend doesn't mind bringing up embrassing things.

Im sure everyone has been embarassed, humiliated, mortified, especially in high school. ive done things in high school that were embarassing, and now almost 7 years later, i am not ashamed or still holding onto it, but my friends do.

i wont even see it coming, me and friends will be sitting there talking and out of nowhere will come a joke or story of one of my embarassing moments. one time i got very upset, but the other side of me thinks, ok lighten up, just take a joke.

these are high school friends, im sure they dont maliciously mean it, but why else bring it up except to get a good laugh at my expense.

am i overreacting?

and what sucks is, i dont have anything embarassing to say about my friends, or would even want to for that matter.

I would tell them that it bothers you when they do that.

I have a friend that when we were younger (16), he'd ask me all these embarrassing girl's puberty questions. All of our friends were going through this stage. Except me...I was too embarrassed to talk about sex and those sorts. One of them was when I started my period. I was a late bloomer.

Well, on the band bus, he told this very personal piece of info to another person and I overheard. I gave him a glare and hurtful look, and told him to never ask me anything personal again.

He didn't think that it'd upset me but he never did anything like that again. We're still good friends.

Im sure everyone has been embarassed, humiliated, mortified, especially in high school. ive done things in high school that were embarassing, and now almost 7 years later, i am not ashamed or still holding onto it, but my friends do.

i wont even see it coming, me and friends will be sitting there talking and out of nowhere will come a joke or story of one of my embarassing moments. one time i got very upset, but the other side of me thinks, ok lighten up, just take a joke.

these are high school friends, im sure they dont maliciously mean it, but why else bring it up except to get a good laugh at my expense.

am i overreacting?

and what sucks is, i dont have anything embarassing to say about my friends, or would even want to for that matter.

Maybe you feel like these friends don't think highly of you anyway? I'm all about learning to laugh at yourself (and am still learning how to do it myself as I'm thin-skinned) but sounds like they may be over-doing it, esp. since this stuff happened 7 years ago. To bring it up constantly (if thats whats going on) is a little much if you ask me. Not to over-analyze, but I was just thinking, its far easier for me to take a friend making fun of me when I know that friend knows me well and loves me regardless of the story. I can't take it as well from people who don't seem to care much for me in the first place or if I have to guess if they mean it in jest.

yeah, i think you should lighten up. Everyone needs to be able to laugh at themselves.

if it really bothers you, think of something dumb they have done and bring it up every time they bring up something about you.

agree, gotta lighten up and be able to laugh at yourself once in a while... they prob see that it bugs you so they do it even more..

plus i bs with my HS buddies about crazy stuff that happened back then, and we laugh about it all the time...

those were good times.. gotta relive it once in a while.....

yes some things are funny...other things are not funny, and some things i dont want to relive again. if i made fun of my friend, and they said to me, hey that bothers me, please stop. i would. if i say, hey please stop, no, its a "i can say whatever i want, whenever i want" type of thing. i think my friends, may have respect for me, but obviously they dont if they dont stop.

yes some things are funny...other things are not funny, and some things i dont want to relive again. if i made fun of my friend, and they said to me, hey that bothers me, please stop. i would. if i say, hey please stop, no, its a "i can say whatever i want, whenever i want" type of thing. i think my friends, may have respect for me, but obviously they dont if they dont stop.

when they say something you dont like or it hurts... just come back with something that might be emmbarsing or hurtfull to them... and they wont be saying anything bad to you...

guys are blunt and rowdy with eachother.. we still respect eachother but sometimes we cross the line and have to be checked, which is all in fun and being a guy...

Why don't you just do it right back to your friend? Wait till you're in the company of someone whose opinion matters to your friend - his parents, a girl he just started dating, a prospective employer - and jokingly bring up how that time he got caught playing with himself in school. Or something worse. Afterwards, ask him whether he likes your brand of humor; he'll learn.

i guess this statement flew over everyones head. even if i do have something embarrassing to say, it doesnt mean i want to. two wrongs dont make a right, and i highly doubt it will make me feel better. im not petty like that. thanks to everyone for their replies. the point im trying to make is that; its okay to bring up jokes and embarassing things and laugh at yourself, but sometimes, it can cross the line and go to far, at which point, you may not want to hear it again, so when the line keeps getting crossed, what do you do now, and what i wanna do is keep my distance, because i can be the butt of a joke for so long, its not really cool when your friends are laughing at you

Archived