texting instead phoning

absolutley

Does anyone find that texting someone your dating annoying. I am just asking because i get annoyed with being text all the time, I would rather a person just dial my number and talk to me. Texts are okay if your busy and just want to send the other person a quick little message, but to only communicate through texting imbetween the time you see eacother. I only ask because I am not a very technical person and was just wondering if this is a commomn thing, to text to have a conversation, rather then to talk on the phone.

Does anyone find that texting someone your dating annoying. I am just asking because i get annoyed with being text all the time, I would rather a person just dial my number and talk to me. Texts are okay if your busy and just want to send the other person a quick little message, but to only communicate through texting imbetween the time you see eacother. I only ask because I am not a very technical person and was just wondering if this is a commomn thing, to text to have a conversation, rather then to talk on the phone.

Trust me, Im technical and I hate it. It's just so less impersonal. My g/f currently does this, it's quiteeee annoying. Unless of course you cant talk on the phone, then its okay (e.g. job, etc)

My last relationship was mostly via email because we couldn't talk during the day. And I email or IM my coworkers throughout the day, mainly so no one else hears our conversations or so we can keep a conversation running slowly all day long while we are busy.

I don't "text", myself, although my Blackberry gets most of the email duty.

My last BF ONLY emailing me for the last 2 years seriously PO'd me (and he was 52 years old) - it was a factor in our relationship ending. Being part of the lack of intimacy, lack of being there in person, and other issues he had

Welcome to the 21st century, where the cell phone has taken the place of letter writing, phone calls and face to face conversations. You have to wonder how relationships ever get off the ground, huh?

I do agree that text messaging can go overboard, but it is handy. Unfortunately, some take it to the extreme. I think many use their phone as an extension of their PC, especially since some phones have full keyboards and are easier to text with. Me, I still have a plain ol' cell phone, so texting tends to be a bit more tedious.

I don't mind some texting here and there (have a good day, see you tonight, etc.), but using text as a primary form of communication is beyond annoying.

Up until a few days ago I was seeing a guy who did nothing but text me (hey, what are you doing right now, come meet me for a drink). At one point I told him that if he couldn't be bothered to actually lift his phone to his ear, I couldn't be bothered getting into my car to come and see him.

I agree with you... when it comes to dating, chronic texting is just lazy.

Texting doesn't bother me at all but I hate talking on the phone, I do it 8 hours a day at work, and the last thing I want to do outside of work is talk on the phone. But I never have serious conversations over text, for that I will talk on the phone or wait till we're in person. Me and the guy that I'm dating we usually text each other throughout the day, but it's usually just silly jokes or pictures, we leave conversation for when we're together in person, and we make plans for the next time we're going to go out while we're together. I think as long as you keep texting away from the serious conversations, and understand that you can't always determine tone and not let a text get you all worked up, then it's fine.

I hate text messages. Mostly, because there isn't enough space to write everything I need to so I end up having to send multiple messages. Plus, I have unlimited incomming and outgoing minutes so its cheaper for me to call someone and tell them what I need to rather then to text them; as well as, have them call me and tell me what they want. However, this month I have abused the text messages big time. I have 250 messages free and now I'm up at 729 messages.

Texting, IMing, and email are all bad for beginning relationships.

You never create that bond that face-to-face creates and you miss out on learning body language and tone. So many things can be easily misinterpreted if you don't know them well enough.

Even then, texting is something you do when you can't talk. It's a last resort. "I'm with my parents, call you later" or "The meeting is running a little late"; In those situations you can't call.

Texting, IMing, and email are all bad for beginning relationships.

You never create that bond that face-to-face creates and you miss out on learning body language and tone. So many things can be easily misinterpreted if you don't know them well enough.

Even then, texting is something you do when you can't talk. It's a last resort. "I'm with my parents, call you later" or "The meeting is running a little late"; In those situations you can't call.

Exactly. definitely something you do when you can't talk. Otherwise pick up the phone, it's so much nicer to hear the person's voice.

I really like texting as it makes me feel connected when I can't be on the phone (ie. when I'm in class or work all day).

When I'm home and doing chores/hmwk, I also prefer texting as again you are communicating but you can get your other stuff done too - form of multi-tasking.

But it's true that I don't have serious or long conversations that way - just little tidbits on what's going on, etc...

When a longer conversation is to be had, and I actually have time - then it's over a phone call. Though I find phone calls can be tiring too.

I hate the phone! I like to text because it's so impersonal and efficient. lol

This sounds awful, but I like prefer these impersonal mediums of communication like email and IMing because I don't have to keep my full attention on the conversation and can do other things.

From a "dating" perspective, it makes sense why a lot of people (especially women) would not like it.

I rarely phoned my ex-gf (less than once a week). We IMed a lot and all along I thought it was okay, eventually when she dumped she revealed that it wasn't and that she hated when I typed "lol, k"...I just dont like "disturbing" people with phone calls, because I feel like I'm disturbed by them?

lessons in what not to do...

Something I'm surprised about, some people just don't like talking on the phone. Period, for any reason. It makes them uncomfortable.

Both me and my gf are like that, so we never talked on the phone at all just IM'ed when we weren't near each other up until she left town for the summer. Now we talk on the phone a bit, but we also text a lot. We spend more hours texting than we do talking, and we both like it that way.

i don't like texting, when i date someone new i just tell them that now... this one guy kept blowing my phone up with "bulk texts". "Hi you all, I'm at ****, if you want to hang out come find me..." Finally I just sent him a text to stop with the bulk texts!!!!

I rarely phoned my ex-gf (less than once a week). We IMed a lot and all along I thought it was okay, eventually when she dumped she revealed that it wasn't and that she hated when I typed "lol, k"...I just dont like "disturbing" people with phone calls, because I feel like I'm disturbed by them?

lessons in what not to do...

i think it's weak, she should have told you BEFORE the break up!, sounds like the communication was not good!

i think it's weak, she should have told you BEFORE the break up!, sounds like the communication was not good!

lol, yeah but i guess that's due to different expectations w/r/t communication.

i mean, for me it's okay to not to talk everyday or talk mainly using informal mediums of communication. i like being "distant" like that. is that evidence that i wasn't that into her? she thought so and from what i'm told, so do most women..

i have been trying to change but i think it's a template from my home environment.

I don't mind texting if you want to say something quickly, but for a conversation it's annoying, and I get frustrated going back and forth, when it's something that could be said on the phone in like five minutes.

It's fine for like 'hope your day is going well' or something to confirm plans, like 'let's meet at 5?'. Texting seems to be common early on in the dating stages when you are not sure if you should be talking on the phone. I don't particularly enjoy talking on the phone for long periods of time, but I would rather talk on the phone to catch up for a few minutes instead of texting back and forth.

I hate text messages. Mostly, because there isn't enough space to write everything I need to so I end up having to send multiple messages. Plus, I have unlimited incomming and outgoing minutes so its cheaper for me to call someone and tell them what I need to rather then to text them; as well as, have them call me and tell me what they want. However, this month I have abused the text messages big time. I have 250 messages free and now I'm up at 729 messages.

ouch! at 0.15c per msg that's an extra $71.85 on your bill...?

Archived