looking for a 2 month job, even worth it?

'I"m turning 20 soon, and I'm just finishing up summer school in college soon, and i'll have 2 months off before going back in the fall. Its not VITAL for me to get a job, since i'm living at home with my parents. I'm not looking for anything career oriented, just some random retail job so i can earn a little money to pay for text books next year.

Will any retail stores hire me for only 2 months? Should I even mention my timeframe of work? Or just lie and say i'm looking for a 1+ year position to increase my chances of being hired? I"m also looking at volunteer jobs too, but a lot of places want a mininum of 3-4 months comitment.

I don't have much relevant experience either, just a LOT of catering, Subway, Quiznos, very light office work, and volunteering. Also, the job market in Oshawa (where's home is) is really slim; the recently closed down the GM truck plant there, so there's a lot of competition.

I'm not home at the moment, so most of my job hunting has been online, but a lot of friends who've been home since the beginning of summer have found it really difficult to find anything. Is there some untapped resource i'm missing out on?

It's been a few years since I lived up that way, but I think that you'll most likely find a better chance of finding employment in Toronto. I know, the traffic is really bad for a daily commute (I used to do it from Hamilton to Toronto every day), but it may be your best chance.

If you ask for part time you might get hired on in a support position for short term work, or try waitressing or something similar. Basically look for jobs that require little to no training, because that's the investment the company makes. I used to pick up stockroom work at retail stores (unpacking and folding and getting stuff onto the floor) and things of that sort.

The types of work you're looking for are probably posted in windows. Check with the unemployment agency - they often have a list of part time or service jobs as unemployed folks often need to pick up food money that way.

I'm soon to be looking for a waitressing job for just a couple months but I won't be telling them I don't plan to stay long. Could you just ask for part-time work and not tell them your time frame? That's what I plan to do.

Waitressing is fast money in a short amount of time (like work 20 hours a week and make the same you would working 40 hours per week in retail). It's simple to learn (at least it was to me). Try that maybe?

Another thing:

A lot of big retail companies have websites where you can apply online. Are those even worth the time compared to going in person?

`

much better if you go in person... they might recive a few hundred online applicants... but if you go in person you will stand out and make a better impresion....

yeesh... I didn't know there were places that could get away with unpaid training

I agree with CAD, try all the temp agencies you can. sometimes you can get on for 4-8 wees, sometimes it is a few days here and there which sounds like what you want.

Also, with restaurants, don't tell them you're quitting.. many restaurants have a high turnover anyway.

not sure what the min. wage is Ontario... I know in Alberta, when I was last there it was $8.90.. ( I think) so I assume it's somewhat similar. Then you get tips on top of that, so it will probably work out better financially then retail.

My friend owns her own retail shop and pays her customers not very much... maybe $10 - 12 per hour?

`

much better if you go in person... they might recive a few hundred online applicants... but if you go in person you will stand out and make a better impresion....

Depends on the store. A lot will tell you to go apply online. I've applied for a retail store online and got the job for the summer!

ALWAYS follow up with a phone call after filing an online application.

not sure what the min. wage is Ontario... I know in Alberta, when I was last there it was $8.90.. ( I think) so I assume it's somewhat similar. Then you get tips on top of that, so it will probably work out better financially then retail.

I think they can pay employers who get tipped less than minimum wage. I'm pretty sure of that. It might be something like 8$/hr if you get tipped in Ontario.

link removed (These ones are exempt from minimum wage)

Go check out my post under careers. I have been reduced to 4 hours, so I think that getting a job for 2 months in the summer is not that unexpected.

Plus too, don't know where you are at, but LOTS of stores in the US will hire ONLY college students, so they can pay them min. wage, and then not have to pay benefits either!

Gosh, does canada really have $8.90 for min. wage????

Wish that were true in US, we are below the poverty level here for min. wage.. a big $6.55 an hour!!

They are raising it to $7.25 i think on July 24th! Whoopee doo!

Now I can schedule my holiday to the Caribbean for a month's time.... not!!

Yeah.. go apply online, most co do that now and then call up or visit in person after you've applied.

Archived