Better weight loss

I was going to ask this in Annie's thread but didn't want to hi-jack.

Weight Watchers vs. Nutri System vs. Jenny Craig vs. all the others.

Which is better and why? In terms of cost, which is more cost effective?

With so many commercials for different weight loss options it's hard to decide which is good and which is hype.

i'd try different healthy foods and see what works for you. i've never used any of those and never will. i've got a great plan going now and it's under what is considered 'maintaining' so slowly i'm gaining muscle and getting more ripped. but this diet might not work for someone else. i eat 4-5 times a day.

i think it depends on what works for you. i think nutrisystem is much more expensive because you buy their food. weight watchers is about $12 a week (and free once you get to your goal weight), but you buy your own food. it depends on your lifestyle. some people it's easier for someone else to plan out and cook all their meals and for someone else, it's not.

i don't know anything about how jenny craig works.

My mom ordered the Nutri-System food and it was too awful for words. They had this premade "chicken salad" in a pouch that , well, words can't describe.

That said, I have known people to go on it and it works. My mom chose to discontinue because of the taste of the food and it gave her constipation. Sorry TMI, I know, but well, there ya have it.

I wish I could make a suggestion but there are no such things at my place.

I think a good start would be to stay away from fried food, and to eat maybe one slice of bread a day. And drinking a lot of water. Eating a breakfast (cereals) every single morning plus not eating in the evening before bed time. Small regular meals are the best. I eat 4 times a day. Oh and I have my lunch around 5. In the evening I usually do not eat after 7 or 8 and than I eat food for children lol - never bread.

I'm gonna vote for the "eat well and get lots of exercise" plan. All those other "programs" cost a lot of money. You can eat well and exercise for free.

I agree. It is gonna be a cliche but it is all about portion control I have found out. Also choosing the right food can stop cravings and the balanced diet will make you feel so refreshed and energetic.

Seconded.

Also, what's the benefit to these companies if you lose the weight? They're all just money making schemes.

pretty accurate. Once you start one of these programs you kind of have to keep up with it forever. Once my sister and aunt stopped using ww they gained a lot back. But its a good way to start out the process and then once you reach your goal switch over to healthy eating and exercising on your own.. You just have to want it bad enough i guess

Seconded.

Also, what's the benefit to these companies if you lose the weight? They're all just money making schemes.

well, lifetime membership, word of mouth, etc..... if you see someone losing weight, you ask them how they did it....

pretty accurate. Once you start one of these programs you kind of have to keep up with it forever. Once my sister and aunt stopped using ww they gained a lot back. But its a good way to start out the process and then once you reach your goal switch over to healthy eating and exercising on your own.. You just have to want it bad enough i guess

permanent weight loss means a lifestyle change, and that is very hard to do. it is hard not to slip back into old habits. i've gained back some of my weight when i stopped being so vigilant about what i was eating, when i started being more lax about portion sizes and exercise.... and then the weight creeps back on.

A few years back, I took the initiative to lose weight on my own. Worked out faithfully, ate well and lost a little over 40 lbs.

I know what I need to do, just lack the energy to do it. I posted this because this was a topic of discussion with some people I know. It seems a few different people have tried one if not more of the more popular ones and so I guess I'm curious about the hype.

I agree with the poster who said that these programs gains nothing from us losing weight other than our money.

well, for me, i need the accountability of weekly meetings. i'm more likely to stay on track if i know i have to weigh in each week. whenever i stop going to meetings, i start slipping ("i'll start my diet over tomorrow....")

i think it's a very individual thing and you just have to hold onto whatever motivates you. whatever brought you to post this thread, and whatever made you lose the 40 lbs before, think about that and use that as your motivation.

You should give low carb a try..but it does take dedication and there are lots of limitations (of food we shouldn't be eating anyway) and some organization.

But.... I feel LOTS better.

see and that's another thing......I think that the carb thing tends to confuse a lot of people..

Some people say no carbs or little carbs, others say that you need carbs. I see how some people could be a bit frustrated and at a loss as what to do.

Well, if you're going to spend money.....

I think it might be better spent with a Registered Dietitian who is in a private practice (rather than working for a commercial weight loss program).

An RD can educate you on nutrition basics and can work with you to develop a plan that's nutritionally sound and that you can live with long term.

see and that's another thing......I think that the carb thing tends to confuse a lot of people..

Some people say no carbs or little carbs, others say that you need carbs. I see how some people could be a bit frustrated and at a loss as what to do.

you need carbs to live. i think any diet which restricts an entire food group just isn't reasonable and it's not really something you can live with.

you need carbs to live. i think any diet which restricts an entire food group just isn't reasonable and it's not really something you can live with.

I agree which is why I think a lot of diets fail. A person that has had a diet rife with carbs now suddenly stops eating carbs and after a while just crashes and then the whole diet thing is shot to hell.

yeah, weight watchers' thing is that 'it's not a diet.' they try to teach you how to pick healthy foods, how to work in splurges and special occassions, and how to deal when you mess up. it's also a good plan if you work well in groups. the group discussions are helpful to me, and i usually get some good tips and make friends there. the social aspect of it is helpful to me.

I agree which is why I think a lot of diets fail. A person that has had a diet rife with carbs now suddenly stops eating carbs and after a while just crashes and then the whole diet thing is shot to hell.

It's more shot to hell because our society makes low carb eating nearly impossible.

I'm just saying it works for me. You do need carbs to live, yes, but you don't need hundreds up to thousands to do so.

It's all about a balance. Personally, I'd rather eat low carb than take some of the meds that I was taking in the past.

Not all eating plans work for all people.

Why not save yourself the money. Just eat healthy and exercise. There are billions of websites for healthy meals. I bought a work out DVD yesterday and have done it twice and my muscles are aching. It's really intense and I know that it will work if I stick to it. Also go jogging, started doing that recently and it is certainly helping.

well, i think everyone knows to lose weight, you should eat more fruits and vegetables, eat less donuts and cheezburgers, and get out there and exercise. i've never met anyone who didn't know what to do. it's just the how and staying motivated and figuring out a way to make this a lifetime, doable goal, that is the hard part. anyone can go on a strict diet and lose lots of weight.... but then keeping the progress over the lifetime, that is the hard part! that's where having some kind of a 'plan' or system to which you are accountable to really important.

most of the leaders and receptionists who work at weight watchers said they joined so as to force themselves to keep the weight off. (to work for weight watchers, you need to be at your goal weight, or within 10 lbs).

well, i think everyone knows to lose weight, you should eat more fruits and vegetables, eat less donuts and cheezburgers, and get out there and exercise. i've never met anyone who didn't know what to do. it's just the how and staying motivated and figuring out a way to make this a lifetime, doable goal, that is the hard part. anyone can go on a strict diet and lose lots of weight.... but then keeping the progress over the lifetime, that is the hard part! that's where having some kind of a 'plan' or system to which you are accountable to really important.

most of the leaders and receptionists who work at weight watchers said they joined so as to force themselves to keep the weight off. (to work for weight watchers, you need to be at your goal weight, or within 10 lbs).

I would rep you for this but evidently I have repped you for something else recently and it won't let me...

That is what I found to be the hardest. It wasn't really hard to lose the weight per-se. I hit a couple of plateaus but was able to hurdle them. I actually did well for quite a while and then I met someone and we would go out a lot and eat and from there it just kinda spiraled downhill. I look back and I could just kick myself in the ass for letting that all go.

So here I am in the same boat I was when I started only now there are so many more obsticles that make finding time for me ridiculously difficult let alone trying to eat healthy. ARGHH.

Why not save your money that you would use to pay for these programs and their food.

Can I offer some advice?

I lost 30 pounds since 3/16/09 by doing the following:

1) Realizing weight loss and weight maintenance is the result of a simple formula

Calories in + calories burned = what I weight

2) 1 pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. 3500 calories/ 7 days a week = 1 pound of fat lost or gained in a week.

3) If I create a calorie deficit of -3500 calories, I could lose a pound of weight a week.

4) I found out how much calories I could eat based on my current weight, height, gender and activity level in order to lose a healthy amount of weight per week. The majority of doctors say losing 1-2 pounds a week is better than dropping a significant amount BECAUSE it forces your metabolism to work and will ensure that you keep the weight off longer. If you do gain weight back it won't be twice as much in a short period of time. Perfect example are yo-yo dieters, gastric bypass patients, extreme dieters...they lose a lot quickly and gain twice as much back because their metabolism never learned how to work effectively.

link removed\cc has a calorie calculator that is pretty accurate.

5) I started walking for exercise. It's free. Its fun. Its relaxing. I joined a walking challenge and my goal is to walk 150 miles a month. I did 100 miles in April, and 148 in the month of May! I walk 1.5-3 hours 5 days a week, split between the morning and the evening. I allow my self 2 days of rest. Walking burns calories which also adds to creating an additional calorie deficit.

6) I do not starve myself AT ALL. Very Low Calorie Diets are designed for the morbidly obese and under doctor supervision. This is usually an extreme measure for patients who need to drop a lot of weight quickly in order to get life saving surgery. An adult woman should not go below under 1200 calories and an adult man should never go under 1500. Please take in consideration this number is determined by your height, current weight and activity level so it may vary. these are the bare minimums. Sometimes I find it hard to meet what is allotted for me but you have to give your body fuel in order for it to work.

7) I allow myself a day that I can eat whatever I want. However I don't binge or go crazy or beat myself up. If I want a slice of pizza...I am going to have a slice of pizza. A lot of diets fail because we instantly deprive ourselves. When the deprivation gets so bad we breakdown and binge. It's a vicious cycle. I still manage not to kill my calorie deficit on this day mainly because I don't spend the entire day eating. I guess now I know I can have that slice of pizza..I don't need to eat the entire pie.

8) I found a crap load of website with great information to track my daily intake of food and my daily burn. I use link removed to journal my food and activity. It has the calorie information for thousands of items even restaurants!

9) I only drink water. Or unsweetened decaff. tea. I drink about a gallon a day. You have to find out how much works for you. The only time I don't drink water is if I go out with friends and have a few drinks. Usually one day a week.

10) I make sure I eat carbs, proteins, and good fats. Fat helps keep you satiated and is good for your skin, digestion and your brain. Especially good fats, omega 3's and 6's. Carbs give me energy and proteins help build muscle. Muscle helps fight the fat. I try and get at least 30 grms of fiber a day. It also helps keep you full and the benefits of fiber is amazing.

Last but not least...I stopped viewing this as a diet and embraced a new lifestyle. I am not close to reaching my goal (i want to lose another 30), but 30 pounds is not a small number at all and I am really proud! If I keep it up (and I'd be damned if I let all this hard work go to waste) I am pretty sure I will have an awesome Labor Day Weekend! I didn't spend any more than I would have buying groceries. I did buy some shorts, and socks though. So far so good!

Archived