Google making socializing kind of pointless?

appleguy

I explored this in my head for quite some time earlier today while chatting with relatives that were over my house for dinner. Got a little bit annoyed so I'm wondering if it's a problem with me.

I realized that many things that come up in conversation are based on assumptions, estimations, ... just guessing in general. For example, someone brought up cars and were talking about SUVs. They made a statement about how she really liked the new Mercedes GLK, to which another relative said he didn't think it was out yet. Then they go on for 5 minutes debating whether the car is actually out or not.

Another example is when someone sparks conversations using 'I wonder... [if abc comes in red, or when xyz is having their grand opening, etc...]', eventually leading to other assuming/guessing statements.

With so many online resources, in particular Google, being accessible to everyone/everywhere, there aren't many things that we can't find straight up, truthful, to the point facts about. I just notice that I get sort of annoyed sometimes and the voice is in my head going 'Man... I'll effing go Google it, just shut the hell up'.

Does anyone else feel like many conversations and topics nowadays seem much less significant or interesting? Like it's not even worth the time to mention?

If we keep this up nobody will ever have to talk again because the computers will do it for us. I think society should be careful just how much they let computers integrate into our lives. Besides, isn't having the occasional debate with someone more fun than a few clicks and Oh there's the answer. Maybe if you used it after, but just cutting out the debate entirely seems boring to me.

Does anyone else feel like many conversations and topics nowadays seem much less significant or interesting? Like it's not even worth the time to mention?

I thought this waaaay before Google came along. I know people who can debate the most trivial things for hours. Perhaps you need to find more stimulating company.

i've been working with computers for so many years and spend so much time reading things that i feel like i know a lot of things factually. this makes it hard talking to other people when i already know the truth behind the matters that are brought up in discussion. and if i don't, there's google right on my iphone that i can pull up answers on. personally, i would rather save everyone's time and do some quick googling from credible sources online instead of throwing hypothetical opinions back and forth.

aside from meaningful conversations and such (which many are avoided by googling), i'm not usually one to involve myself with superficial 'small talk'. yes i can see it's a nice day out and my iphone weather app tells me it's going to rain for the next two days. i don't think there's really much to talk about there. i guess i have a pretty pessimistic view in this regard but i can 'see' a future society where talking is rarely necessary anymore. when it comes to topics like 'evolution', people generally don't know enough about it to say something that means much. maybe i do need more stimulating company... or i guess i just suck at socializing.

I think the complete opposite is true, now you can get on with real conversation. There's no need to argue about facts, you can argue about opinions. Google doesn't tell you what to think, it gives you facts and other people's opinions. You still need to form your own thoughts and defend them.

When people are presented with the same information and come to different conclusions, well, that's the stuff of real conversations.

So before:

Talking Head 1 (TH1): SUV comes in orange.

Talking Head 2 (TH2): No it doesn't.

TH1: Yes it does.

TH2: No, it doesn't.

TH1: Your dumb.

TH2: Stupidhead

etc. etc.

Now:

Google says: SUV comes in orange

TH1: That's silly, you'll look like your rolling around town in a pumpkin.

TH2: That's cool, I'm Dutch.

*now you can discuss pumpkin hatred or why Dutch people are so into orange*

I know exactly what you mean and this society is becoming more dependent on technology to get answers. And time is being robbed from us & spending more time on gadgets that were meant to make our life easier but instead making us their slave.

One reason we've cut off a lot of internet time at home. So much more gets done and more family time. Less technology we rely on, it seems as though we really appreciate life in general.

I just notice that I get sort of annoyed sometimes and the voice is in my head going 'Man... I'll effing go Google it, just shut the hell up'.

I think this a lot, too. Not so much shut the hell up, but sort of "Who cares? We can find out the answer in five minutes when we get home". Or, in the case of phones with internet, 1 minute.

However, I have had more than one conversation with others about how google has eliminated the need for debate. So I guess conversations have now evolved to talking about how there's no conversations?

Another variation of this I find annoying is when I ask someone a question, especially at work, and then they google it. I could have done that myself- I just wanted a quick answer, from the person. Does this mean I'm not supposed to ask anyone questions of humans anymore if I'm sitting in front of a computer?

I agree and disagree to the extent that we CAN have more substantial discussions now that facts are more readily available to us (esp. for those who have smartphones with Internet access that actually works ... but that's another story). Growing up, I used to HATE the conversations my family had, which was based on an unverified piece of info, followed by everyone guess as to why it MIGHT be true. So ANNOYING!

"I heard that Toyota might come out with a new hybrid car." (Note: unverified rumor)

"Oh yeah? Well that's probably because ... " (Note: And off we go! Speculating begins about something that has not been proven true or false!)

But I do agree with the OP in that sometimes *I* am the co-worker who is asked a question and then promptly Googles. Or I am the co-worker who DOESN'T EVEN BOTHER to ask my co-worker (who should know), and Googles the question myself.

Thought-provoking question...

Since the OP, I've thought a bit and realized that maybe I've been taking it for granted since I work with computers alot, but googling appears to be an alien task for many. Even though many people can run a quick search on google, it sometimes takes more than that to find reliable/pertaining answers to certain questions. If someone asks me a question and I don't know it but I know it's 'google-able', I'll go google it for them because I would just assume the person asking doesn't know how to use google well. (then I prejudice this person as a moron... which I shouldn't)

Growing up, I used to HATE the conversations my family had, which was based on an unverified piece of info, followed by everyone guess as to why it MIGHT be true. So ANNOYING!

"I heard that Toyota might come out with a new hybrid car." (Note: unverified rumor)

"Oh yeah? Well that's probably because ... " (Note: And off we go! Speculating begins about something that has not been proven true or false!)

This sort of thing happens wayyy too often in my life. That's what sparked my OP. I wish everyone could google, then maybe the world would be a smarter place and people can spark more interesting conversations.

Misleading thread title. Should read "Google making arguing about inconsequential facts pointless?"

I mean seriously, aren't there more things to talk about? Like people's lives, places they've gone, things they've experienced...etc....and of course discussing mainstream events and news and discussing opnions... you can go on and on... You can't google that stuff.

Misleading thread title. Should read "Google making arguing about inconsequential facts pointless?"

I mean seriously, aren't there more things to talk about? Like people's lives, places they've gone, things they've experienced...etc....and of course discussing mainstream events and news and discussing opnions... you can go on and on... You can't google that stuff.

I agree with Furious: there ARE certain topics which you can't google for a simple answer.

For example, if people could google for the "best way to get over a break-up," and can get an *uncontested* answer, wouldn't that make ENA pointless? ENA exists in spite of Google and to a certain extent, because of Google, as many posters have been directed to this forum by a google search.

Are you the sum total of your frien...
Are you the sum total of your friends?

Archived