An Amazing Opportunity--do I take it?

hers
Logistics of the move from Texas to...
Logistics of the move from Texas to Florida...

I have been planning a move down to Central FL for a little while now, focusing on Tampa/St. Petersburg area. My sister lives in Orlando and she's having her first baby around Thanksgiving and I really want to be closer to her, the beach, my aunt and uncle, etc. Atlanta just isn't cutting it for me anymore so I think it's time to move.

My sister spent the day with my aunt and uncle today. This is my mom's sister and her husband, and we've always been close to them. They're amazing--they're the "fun" aunt and uncle and the ones we've always been able to go to any time we had a problem. Having the parents my sister and I have, we've always looked to them as surrogate parents.

When my sister was finishing college, she moved to Orlando to do an internship. They let her live with them rent-free for 8 months while she was there. Any time she tried to pay for something, they woudln't let her. She did a lot of housework, cooking, and yardwork for them, whcih they appreciated but also said she didn't have to do. They let her come and go as she pleased and let her boyfriend (now husband) come stay weekends when they were in an LDR. They're incredible.

They were asking her if I decided where to move and all of that and told my sister I coudl come live with them for a while till I get on my feet so I can get a job, save some money, learn the area, etc. My aunt said she coudl even get me a job in her office b/c they always need people who are qualified what I'm qualified to do.

I was floored! I nearly cried; I'm not used to such generosity. I told my sister I don't know if I could do that b/c I'd feel so intrusive. I asked about Leeluu and she said they said Leeluu is welcome to come too. My sister told me not to worry about feeling like that, that they made her feel so welcome and at home (as they always have, even when we'd stay summers with them as children) and they'd gladly have me and Leeluu there.

I don't know what to do! Do I take it? I always feel like Leeluu is so inconvenient. I see her as the most perfect animal ever (she is!) but to others, she's awkward, sheds too much, big, etc (at least that's how I feel). They have a dog too--a beagle who's about 4. My sister said they aren't home all that often b/c my aunt travels for business often and my uncle works weird hours and goes on fishing trips often. Their daughter is in college about 3 hours away and comes home random weekends and holidays (I'm close with her also).

Do I take it? How do I decide? My main issue is feeling like a burden and Leeluu being a bigger burden. How long do I stay? It'd help me out so much, but I don't want to over-stay my welcome (my sister said 6 months, but I don't know if that's what they said of my sister just throwing out months). She said my aunt will call me soon to talk about it. Help!

Go for it - I loved living in Orlando. Still consider it my home town. It's a great place to live, and if they already have one dog, Leeluu shouldn't be too much trouble. I know you have her well trained.

How often do you get opportunities like this in a lifetime?

Go for it - I loved living in Orlando. Still consider it my home town. It's a great place to live, and if they already have one dog, Leeluu shouldn't be too much trouble. I know you have her well trained.

How often do you get opportunities like this in a lifetime?

i know, that's sort of my thinking. I just don't know how to accept help when it's offered

Leeluu is so good. She just...sheds. She's obedient, happy, playful but calm. She's jsut big and breathes loudly when she's excited and sheds. But I love her.

Wow, I think that's great!! I know what you mean about not wanting to step over bounds and take advantage and all that... but sometimes, people just want to do a nice thing for you and you need to embrace that. I've found random acts of human kindness to be rare, but when they happen, as it seems it has in your case, you should take them up on the offer. It would help you immensely, let you start up your business again (if you so choose), save money (god, think of how much you'll save!).... they wouldn't have offered if they didn't want you (and Leeluu!). Don't feel like a burden, but accept their offer graciously.

I know how badly you want to move to Florida to be with your sister. This sounds like an incredible opportunity you shouldn't pass up.

I don't know if I want to start my business up again honestly. I am sort of craving structure and an actual schedule. I don't want to go back to working day in day out like I am now. I'd like to sit in an office for now and do work. My aunt works for an environmental planning company and it's a small office of about 30 people. It'll be a different change of pace from when I was working with 200 people in a web design firm. My cousin works there as a secretary in the summers when she's home and says it's a great place to work too.

Hey...what happened to moving to NY? Changed your mind??

And if I had the opportunity to live with someone rent free and be given a job on top of that, I would take it...lol

And the thing about it is...They won't be expecting you to stay forever so when you felt the time is ready for you to venture on your own again you would be able to do so without restrictions.

I say go for it too!! An awesome opportunity whereby she even offered you to work with her. Not many people would have such a head start.

As for thinking Leeluu may be an inconvenience and a burden - just make sure you take good care of cleaning up after her, (especially if she sheds a lot). If they see you making an effort to keep things in order, it will no doubt be much appreciated.

As for outstaying your welcome: If they are happy with 6 months, then that's great. Seeing as you could be working for her, you'll be earning money and can start saving to get your own place asap. While you stay with them, keep you eye out for your own place and as soon as the 6 months are up, then you move.

Hey...what happened to moving to NY? Changed your mind??

And if I had the opportunity to live with someone rent free and be given a job on top of that, I would take it...lol

And the thing about it is...They won't be expecting you to stay forever so when you felt the time is ready for you to venture on your own again you would be able to do so without restrictions.

I think NYC will always be a pipe dream for me. I'd love to do that but I dunno...I've dreamed about it for years but cant see myself doing it ever either. I think I'm scared to, honestly. My friend just moved up there and she loves it already. I know I'd have a place to stay with her for sure but at the same time I'm scared.

I don't think I'd let myself stay more than 6 months. I think I'd feel intrusive any longer than that (god I'd feel like that more than just a couple months I trhink).

I grew up going to their house. Pool, clean, big enough to have your space but not so big that there's too much house. They're just such great people, a lot of fun and always so kind. My uncle loves to go fishing and my sister used to go with him. I've wanted to go for years but get down there only about once a year if that. I think I'd have a lot of fun. And I've craved having "parents" my whole life and I think it'd be nice to feel that way for a little while.

I say go for it too!! An awesome opportunity whereby she even offered you to work with her. Not many people would have such a head start.

As for thinking Leeluu may be an inconvenience and a burden - just make sure you take good care of cleaning up after her, (especially if she sheds a lot). If they see you making an effort to keep things in order, it will no doubt be much appreciated.

As for outstaying your welcome: If they are happy with 6 months, then that's great. Seeing as you could be working for her, you'll be earning money and can start saving to get your own place asap. While you stay with them, keep you eye out for your own place and as soon as the 6 months are up, then you move.

Thanks. I'd even pay for a maid to come clean too if she sheds too mcuh! I'd keep her off of furniture and in my room while we're all out (she sleeps all day anyway). And I'd help take care of their dog too since they have to keep weird hours for work.

I have $650 saved up so far, which honestly is the most I've ever saved in my whole life. I feel wealthy with that! So I could move and be able to keep some of that in savings (spending a little to move with of course). That would make my only bills my car and insurance and student loans and money to my dad (I'll be paying him money back till I'm 80), which woudl be only about $700 a month. It'd help me so much.

Life is short and you only live it once. Go live it with the people who love you.

Besides we all know Jen would want you to move so she could go down and see you in FL for a visit. That state will never be the same!

I told her when she gets back from England she should just move right back to the states to FL wiht me since she hates MI. I told her there's only a small chance Leeluu woudl eat Cairo but she said that's not good enough. I'm still working on her!

I feel so grateful. I know I deserve to be happy and not worry so much about asking for help that I sometimes need but it's hard. I feel so grateful for having such amazing people in my life. I'm blessed.

Girl, you have all these great connections to live in some pretty darn fun places. I would do 6 months in florida...6 months in NYC (after florida so you can have some money saved up) and then decide on one to stay for awhile.

I will say this about NYC...it definitely brings the drama. Never a dull moment! And you shouldn't be scared.....it's just a city!!!

But I definitely say take your aunt up on her offer...sounds like a great opportunity. And you can always just pay someone to help clean up any shedding to eliminate that guilt.

They wouldn't help you unless they felt you deserved it!

I think you should jump on it! It sounds like a perfect way to transition back into living in FL again. You will have a job and a place to live, and can take your time finding your own apartment.

I wouldn't worry about your dog either. If they have a dog, they are already dog people, and most dog people don't even notice dog hair because they are used to it, so a little more hair in the house is no big deal.

I think you should jump on it! It sounds like a perfect way to transition back into living in FL again. You will have a job and a place to live, and can take your time finding your own apartment.

I wouldn't worry about your dog either. If they have a dog, they are already dog people, and most dog people don't even notice dog hair because they are used to it, so a little more hair in the house is no big deal.

Thanks. Their house has always been pretty clean--they're very tidy. But I don't think theyd mind even a little bit of fur if I kept it cleaned up. They've always been dog people. I don't think they've met Leeluu though. I can't remember.

I'm sure she'll be fine once she gets to know them... she seems like a sweet dog.

Some of the worst terrors i've ever met have been SMALL dogs, so they won't hate your dog just because she's big... i grew up with a chihuahua who was a little monster who terrorized everybody, so just because your dog is a big dog doesn't mean she won't get along fine with everybody.

I'm sure she'll be fine once she gets to know them... she seems like a sweet dog.

Some of the worst terrors i've ever met have been SMALL dogs, so they won't hate your dog just because she's big... i grew up with a chihuahua who was a little monster who terrorized everybody, so just because your dog is a big dog doesn't mean she won't get along fine with everybody.

I know...I just always feel like no one will love her like I do and I want everyone to love her like i do! They used to have a dog bigger than Leeluu and he was so sweet. He died about 10 years ago. They still miss him. Maybe they'll love her too. She's a vocal dog only when she's playing so she never barks and is totally ok with just lounging around.

Archived