Is dog saliva germy?

renaissancewoman101
Why Does My Dog Lick The Air?
Why Does My Dog Lick The Air?

Last night was the first time I was ever licked on the mouth by a dog. I've never had a dog before and am usually very skittish and leery around them (due to traumatic childhood experience). Jasper licked me on my mouth when I was asleep last night

I usually spend the night at my best friend's house if I hang out with them on Sat. What ends up happening is that I fall asleep on the couch in the living room that Jasper usually sleeps on at night. The couch is long enough so I usually fall asleep on one end and Jasper curls up on the other end and my feet rest on his back (he doesn't mind).

Last night I fell asleep while my best friend and his bf were watching a movie. At that time Jasper was sitting on the other couch with them.

Wake up around 2 AM to the feel of something wet licking my mouth/lips. Open my eyes and Jasper is in front of me. I am half awake and half asleep. I yelp and jump up and tell my best friend (who is now sitting on the other couch working on work stuff on the computer- movie had ended and his bf had went to bed). He tells me I am dreaming.

I know Jasper licked me on the mouth

Just worried if dog saliva might be germy.

Otherwise, Jasper is doing quite well. He is such a nice dog. He waited till I got up this morning and was up and about and then let him out to do his business.

We took him to the vet last Sat for a checkup. Turns out he has mites in his ears and that is why he was scratching at his ears. He got some ear drops and now his ears are less red.

Dog saliva is often cleaner than humans, believe it or not. Unless he's just finished washing his rear, I suppose.

My dogs used to wash my face and occasionally catch my mouth by accident and I can't recall a single time I ever had a problem in 30 years of dog ownership So most likely you can relax

yes dog saliva is probably not the cleanest think to have by your mouth but dont worry about it you die from it. Its kinda gross coz he has propably been licking him bum but the worst think that may happen is u may be sick for a day......o yer and dont wanna gross you out but if he has been licking his bum u may get worms but DONT panic if he doesn't have them now u wont get them.

You won't get worms from a dog licking you.

And not all dogs drink from toilets unless their owners leave the seat up, don't provide water, or haven't trained them right. Mine never did.

As for strep, I don't know, but my dogs used to lick all my cuts I'd get as a child and never had an infection from them

Worst case is that the owner turns the dog loose and it starts eating cat poop or something - that's not a good thing to have on you.

yes dog saliva is probably not the cleanest think to have by your mouth but dont worry about it you die from it. Its kinda gross coz he has propably been licking him bum but the worst think that may happen is u may be sick for a day......o yer and dont wanna gross you out but if he has been licking his bum u may get worms but DONT panic if he doesn't have them now u wont get them.

Thanks!

I just found that a bit disturbing.

Jasper licks at himself a lot though. Vet said it was nothing to worry about and could be an allergic reaction to grass and stuff.

Archived