Spanking/abuse in Canadian schools,was it common?

shoreline

I suffered corporal punishment in school in Canada ,I would like to hear from other survivors. I was spanked in school in 1973 in class that eventually escalated to my pants and underwear being pulled down for the punishment. This happened in front of a full classroom of boys and girls when I was 8. I was beaten/spanked repeatedly, always infront of the whole class over her lap. Though she only used her hand it was humiliting and filled me with shame being stripped in front of all my classmates. Am I alone?

I have no idea whether this was common in Canada, but it happened to many of my fellow students in 1992 in Australia. Our teacher used to whack everyone on the back with a ruler. A couple of kids got their pants pulled down and whacked with it. I was terrified of her. I think the crazy witch was put in prison after that year. At least I hope that was the case.

My father and mother did the beating - I was fine in school. They did use rulers and paddles to spank us (US public and US military schools) but I don't remember ever needing it. At home I was hit a couple times a day, sometimes spanking, sometimes a lot more than that.

I tend to get feisty more than get embarrassed by stuff like that - I fight back. So probably good that I never needed it in school. I don't remember ever paying any attention to any other kid that was being spanked either - I just didn't give a damn, honestly. I'd go draw pictures or practice my handwriting until the teacher was teaching again.

Archived