When do you know to just let go?

Babystash

My wife and I have been married for a little over half a year now, thanks to our state passing the same-sex marriage law. Everything in our home life seems to be great, however, when we share a day or weekend off and go out with friends we always argue. She is very much a person who wants to go out and party quite often, while I am very much a homebody. I do enjoy going out also, but dread going out with her friends. You see, I am 23 and my wife is 30. All of my wife's friends are older than her with the average age being 40. I feel no connection with this age group and feel very out of place. Most of her friends have children my age and I find myself making excuses to avoid going to parties with her and her friends. She in return gets upset and every weekend turns into us talking about seperating because we are two different people, but we love each other very very much. It just seems like it is so hard for me to be with someone that wants to go out all the time but even harder because I can't stand to go out with her crowd of people. They are all very nice and I like them, I just have no interest in being friends with them, but at the same time, its not like I would ever ask her to give them up, I understand how much they mean to her and are a part of her life. We don't want to lose each other, but I'm afraid we won't be able to find common ground, please help!

This doesn't sound like the type of conflict to end a marriage over. You must have known you two had this dynamic before you got married? It is okay to not spend all of your time together and to each have your own friends. She can have hers and I don't see why you should be expected to hang out with them as well. You should have time to be with yours and she can see hers as well.

Archived