Cosmetology?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'm really frustrated with my identity crisis BS! Besides psychology, I also want to do cosmetology as well! But I hear that people who do cosmetology as jobs don't get paid much. Is this true? I don't want to do something I regret, be it doing psychology and find it too boring, or doing cosmetology but not have a fruitful future.

Help!

This is quite common for folks your age. Shoot! I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up until I was older than that! LOL

Take some time off to yourself. Even when you start going to university, you could very well end up changing majors 2 or 3 times. It's normal. Nothing to worry about!

Any job can pay well or not pay well. It all depends on how motivated you are to do well and pursue opportunities in the field. People who just want 9-5, do the same thing all the time rarely end up achieving as much as they could in life, IMO. Be that happiness, wealth, challenges, achievements, etc etc.

And you aren't having an identity crisis - from now until your mid 20s you'll probably bounce around to all different types of interests. I didn't settle into my career until I was 31!!!!

Why not do both?

I believe the length of training to be able to get a job in cosmetology is shorter than the schooling you'd need to get a decent job in psychology.

You could go to school for cosmetology, work in it for a while, put some money away, then, when you're ready, go back to school for a psychology degree and work part or full time while going to school (Or save up a lot of money and not work at all...)

The days of choosing a career in your teens or 20's and working in ONLY in that job or that field until you retire are long gone. People your age can expect to have several career changes over their working lives.

You don't have to make a "permanent" choice for the rest of your life....just a choice on what you want to do for the next few years.

My sister and one of my nieces used to be cosmetologists. If you want to make money, it takes years. You have to build up clientelle and be very outgoing and very good at what you do. My sis did it for about 3 years before she made any kind of money at all. EVERYONE seems to be doing this now. If you love it, go for it.

Archived