What is too high for my heart rate?

SDAL

I'm not due in for my annual check up with my doctor for a few months and I'm curious about this. I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise. Anytime I start pushing myself, my heart rate will go into the high 180's. Usually this happens when I'm doing more strenuous cardio, like jogging or in a spin class. I'm 28 and at a healthy weight. I do have mitral valve prolapse, but it's not serious and my doctor said that exercise would be beneficial. My question is, how high is too high for your heart rate when working out, and could my MVP be causing this? Thanks!

Typically what they recommend is subtract your age from 200 and that is your target heart rate when you are working out. Where you have a mitral valve problem I would check with your doctor before working up to that capacity and see where he wants you. Perhaps he will order a stress test to see how your heart handles being overworked like that.

I think the 200 - age is not your target heart rate. It's the maximum heart rate you should be at.

link removed

For a 28 year old healthy person target heart rate is 95-166 beats per minute while working out- or approximately 200-his age(28 which = 172) which is a rough estimate HCP typically give. Maximum heart rate is 190-195 beats per minute.

But again, with your mitral valve prolapse you should be talking to your cardiologist about this and what he or she wants you to be at.

It says 220 there not 200... and he said his doctor said that actually exercise could improve his condition... I'm sure he would have said something about it if it were not okay to do strenuous exercise if he said that.

It says 220 there not 200... and he said his doctor said that actually exercise could improve his condition... I'm sure he would have said something about it if it were not okay to do strenuous exercise if he said that.

Yes, it says 220 -age is the maximum heart rate- which is what I was pointing out. Approximately 200-age is the target heart rate, and I would never assume that a doctor meant anything. If there is any question- (and there is) he should absolutely ask. Doctors are not infallible, and don't always give all the necessary details which is why it's important to be informed and to ask questions.

Archived