finding work w/o job experience

5 Tips For Entering The Job Market ...
5 Tips For Entering The Job Market After University

Is it possible right to even get a job right now w/o job experience?? It feels like I've applied to over 10 places and still nothing yet. Most of them are retail or entry-level positions that require little or no experience too. I wonder if teenagers are having just as much trouble considering most have never worked.

yes, some places do require specific experience with that area( even in retail)

A couple of years ago you could walk into any job (where I live) but now maybe not so much.

Although I do remember about 12/13 years ago, looking for casual work, and I interviewed at a candle shop and I didn't get the job because I didn't have any experience with candles!..

Are you applying to retail with clothes/ sports/ music you like/

What do you like and what are you applying to?

Most of them were basic retail/convenience stores. quick list of places I've applied to so far:

- Staples

- Target

- Toy 'r' Us

- 7 Eleven

- Pizza Hut

- something dealing w/ medical data entry or clerical work

- Omni hotels: steward/dishwasher

I'm working on applying to Frys, Safeway, Paradise Bakery, and Starbucks. Maybe the post office, they're supposed to be hiring right now. Alot of these places I'm applying just for a job, not so much because I like the company or store. Not trying to be desperate, but I want to find work sometime before summer ends.

Most of them were basic retail/convenience stores. quick list of places I've applied to so far:

- Staples

- Target

- Toy 'r' Us

- 7 Eleven

- Pizza Hut

- something dealing w/ medical data entry or clerical work

- Omni hotels: steward/dishwasher

I'm working on applying to Frys, Safeway, Paradise Bakery, and Starbucks. Maybe the post office, they're supposed to be hiring right now. Alot of these places I'm applying just for a job, not so much because I like the company or store. Not trying to be desperate, but I want to find work sometime before summer ends.

were they hiring? Did you go in and speak to the manager at each one?

Actually not all were hiring. About half of the them I found job listings online. I was going to call each place after about a week to confirm they got my application, but I can't make calls for awhile until my phone gets activated again. Awhile back I lost my debit card and one thing led to another; short story: I ended up not paying my cell phone bill. I should have tried walk-ins and talked to the manager like you said but I don't know how to get to all these places by bus.

Actually not all were hiring. About half of the them I found job listings online. I was going to call each place after about a week to confirm they got my application, but I can't make calls for awhile until my phone gets activated again. Awhile back I lost my debit card and one thing led to another; short story: I ended up not paying my cell phone bill. I should have tried walk-ins and talked to the manager like you said but I don't know how to get to all these places by bus.

well, like pink elephant says, figure it out!

You need to be a bit more self-motivated to get a job.

Why would you apply for places when you don't even know where they are?

Have you tried presenting yourself as a solution to a problem they might have? For example, if you were looking at a clothing retail store... learn a bit about what the economy is doing to clothing stores in general. Figure out how something you know how to do (soft skills) can be applied to helping that shop improve their bottom line. You need to differentiate yourself - if you can't do it through work experience, do it through intelligence and people skills.

Even with job experience, it's hard to get a job right now.

I have 8 years experience in my field and a college degree, and after 6 months of job hunting I'm still outta luck.

If you're worried about getting experience, though, you could look into volunteer work while you're looking for a job. Volunteer work will at least get you some experience that you could use on applications and such.

I've been unemployed about 2 weeks and have had about10 interviews, turned down an offer or two and accepted one I'm really enthused about...Getting a job is a numbers game, I went on Craigslists and applied to everything, probably 20 jobs a day. I had a short introductory paragraph and then embedded my resume in the email. I dealt with a few interesting interviews this way, pursued a few leads that turned out not to interest me, but overall I had a lot of success.

I've only had 2 jobs in my life and a few years of college, so it wasn't a matter of phenomenol experience, it was just a matter of consistently pursuing every lead.

By your age and the fact that you have no work experience, I'm guessing you're in college (and are probably close to finishing up within the next year or two).

I can tell you for certainty that retail employers like Staples, Target, Best Buy, et al will be very, very reluctant to hire you, experience or no. This is because they want people who are committed to pursuing a career with the company, not college students whom they have to train for several weeks but whom will wind up leaving relatively soon after. You're basically what employers refer to as "over qualified".

i heard starbucks is pretty good. they train you well and after 90 days or something, i think they offer to pay for you to go to college.

Starbucks is also very difficult to get a job at because so many people want to work there (trendy, I guess?).

Starbucks is also very difficult to get a job at because so many people want to work there (trendy, I guess?).

i dunno, it looks fun though. and you get to meet everyone. ima get a job there just to get phone numbers. heh

well, like pink elephant says, figure it out!

You need to be a bit more self-motivated to get a job.

Why would you apply for places when you don't even know where they are?

I know where they are... on google maps. I just don't know how to use the bus system to get there. Sorry, it just seems so confusing when I look at all the routes and numbers. Where exactly they stop on the map they post online isn't all that clear.

By your age and the fact that you have no work experience, I'm guessing you're in college (and are probably close to finishing up within the next year or two).

I can tell you for certainty that retail employers like Staples, Target, Best Buy, et al will be very, very reluctant to hire you, experience or no. This is because they want people who are committed to pursuing a career with the company, not college students whom they have to train for several weeks but whom will wind up leaving relatively soon after. You're basically what employers refer to as "over qualified".

I never thought of it that way. There was a job that I applied for awhile back that they told me straight up I was overqualified, but the reason they didn't hire me was because I couldn't lift 100 lb bundles of hay and my lack of "wanting" the job. The other guy wanted to get hired more I guess. What you wrote makes sense though, especially if they're looking for someone in a full-time position. It's too bad though, I wouldn't mind working at starbucks.

I was looking through this book The Color of Your Parachute and I'm thinking I should drop the online applications and start doing walk ins. It said something like 90% of applying for jobs online doesn't work. It really make me feel like a number when applying for positions I'm sure I could do no problem. Maybe walking around asking if places are hiring would be a better way to go about it.

IMO experience isn't everything. You have to pay people with experience more than people without it and most of the times the experience can be taught easily. Although its hard even to get an interview without that experience included in there.

Try a more personalized approach when filling out resumes. Formality is old school nowadays. You need to grab their attention and make them want to give you an interview.

I have been adding a quick paragraph to my e-mails explaining why I feel im a necessary choice because i have been applying to a lot of jobs that aren't my norm. and I feel like if I add in why im applying they could get a feel of what kind of person I am and decide if i'd be a good fit. Rather than the redudant "to whom it may concern "i worked here there there here and there."

I've been pretty unsuccesful though

CONNECTIONS!!!!

I got my first job without any prior work experience at a high-end retail clothing store because I knew a guy working there. Since then, I've held a variety of different jobs and quite a few were due to connections.

Do you have friends, family, relatives, schoolmates who can refer you? Many opportunies are presented via word of mouth, etc. And lots of places, like Starbucks, operate on a referral system; the person who referred you gets $50 if you get hired. I worked at a Starbucks once and I was basically referred by a friend. Another friend also got hired there (through referral) and like you, she didnt have any work experience.

Tell everyone you know you are looking for a job. And in the meantime, drop off lots of resumes (in person and on Craigslist). It really is a numbers game. The more resumes you send out, the more likely you are to get a callback.

Good luck!

Thanks. I asked one friend who worked at target but they weren't hiring at the time. I'll just ask around and see if one of my friends can help me get a job.

In the meantime I was thinking if I couldn't find work I would settle doing volunteer stuff until summer was over. Not ideal but maybe I'll get employers will recognize my volunteer experience? Hopefully I do manage to find a job, it feels bad not earning anything while school's out.

I know where they are... on google maps. I just don't know how to use the bus system to get there. Sorry, it just seems so confusing when I look at all the routes and numbers. Where exactly they stop on the map they post online isn't all that clear.

Get the bus route map then. I've figured out the entire city bus route - BY MYSELF- by the time I was 13. You can do it. Might also want to look into improving your problem solving skills... sorry if this come off as harsh. It sounds like you're not being very persistent. It's like, oh it's too hard. whine whine. GO there in person. Ask the bus driver. Be nice to them and they'll tell you most things you need to know or at the very least, refer you to where you can find out.

Also, start pretending you want the job, even if you don't. Be enthuisiastic and take more initiatives.

Thanks. I asked one friend who worked at target but they weren't hiring at the time. I'll just ask around and see if one of my friends can help me get a job.

In the meantime I was thinking if I couldn't find work I would settle doing volunteer stuff until summer was over. Not ideal but maybe I'll get employers will recognize my volunteer experience? Hopefully I do manage to find a job, it feels bad not earning anything while school's out.

Yes volunteering is a great idea for people who have never been employed; you can transfer the skills and experience from volunteering to your job applications (Eg. soft skills like teamwork, attention to detail, customer service) and have something to talk about at your interviews

Best of luck with your job search!

Archived