Stuck in a hazardous situation.

Kaze215

Hi , i'm an american 17 year old male, and I attend a French International private school. The courses here are more difficult than any US public school. It is basically the same as the education system in France. In this system it is possible for a student with bad grades to repeat a grade once or more times, meaning that you can be very old and be in a grade with people far more younger than you, which very very rarely happens. In my case, i am 17 and in 3ème, the equivalent of 9th grade. I am in this grade not because i had failed 2 years in the school, but because my parents could not pay for these two school years. I feel very depressed, sad, and like if i were regressing mentally by being with these little kids. I have lost all my friends, and i don't fit in with these kids at all because it's obvious i'm not 14. This year i have been forced to be with the most immature class on top of this, and i just feel as if the more i tried to ignore or accept my situation, i am creating a mental barrier that will prevent me from thinking straight. I am not allowed to talk to students in higher grades, and my parents do not care about what my feelings are. They are forcing me to continue this until i have finished high school, and they do not want to help me in any way. Everytime i try to speak with them about this, they argue that it is all my fault that i am in this grade because i failed a placement exam that would have allowed me to be in the appropriate grade, when i have read alot during those two years and had studied aswell. The staff at the school sometimes look at me as if i just won't fit in and that i must fit in. I can also tell they know that it is not right for me to be trapt here. They also try to make me believe sometimes that i am younger than what i really am so that it might make me look like i am 13-14 . My parents seem to pull my doctor and my teachers to agree with them and to tell me that I have to continue and that i have to suck it up which is totally unfair and wrong.

All I want is to atleast be one grade higher next year and nothing more. The next grade up is way more mature and there is hardly no difference from students there and students who are my age. If i were a grade higher up, I would also be with people who i want to hang out with and have all my friends back. In a few days before school finishes here, I will try to talk to the school principal about moving me up. Would anyone please help me find ways to convince him and reasons that are undisputable. Please give me advice aswell and tell me how to succeed in giving him a speech about what i feel.

Wow...I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine how hard that must be for you. I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help, seeing as I don't have any "speech giving" advice for you. Because you said they refuse to listen and I'm not sure there's even a way to organize your thoughts in a manner which would force them to listen. Perhaps you should do some research on a public school nearby that you could offer as an alternative to attend. Honestly, just try to sit down with your parents and be as respectful as you can and explain to them that this is really starting to do emotional damage. You're 17 years old. You can't mentally and emotionally develop in a room full of immature 14 and 15 year olds. I'm really sorry you're going through this and I feel crappy for not being able to offer some better advice...how does the conversation usually go when you try to talk to them about it?

Keep in mind, you are of age to drop out of school if you wish. I'm not suggesting you do that, I'm just reminding you of your rights. You're old enough to start making your own decisions.

Not knowing why your folks are in France right now, I'm assuming it's job related, I can only suggest that you stick things through until you're 18, and then fly back to the U.S. Are there any relatives you can stay with here while you finish out your GED? Perhaps you can convince your parents to let you finish school in the U.S. if you have someone you can stay with.

Archived