Sleep Medication

hockeyboy
How to quiet your mind for sleep
How to quiet your mind for sleep

I've had on again/off again problems getting to sleep. Lately I have not been able to get to sleep a lot. I find my mind races while I lay in bed and it just keeps me up. If I get agitated I can't sleep, it just makes it worse. I also get in late a lot of nights and it takes me a while to relax/wind down.

On top of that, I've always been a light sleeper. I wake up pretty easily. My roommates both wake up earlier then me and while they are not loud, they still wake me up. I've tried combating that with sleeping with a fan or a/c on, which does help.

I've taken over the counter sleeping pills...but don't take them a lot, mostly because I don't want to become dependent on them. I've been thinking of going to the dr and getting a prescription.

So, I'm curious what people use and what they think of them. Do they knock you out? Do you find you aren't awoken as easy (deeper sleep)? Does it make you feel groggy in the morning? Are they addicting?

Thanks

-HB

I take Ambien and have taken it for years as I have chronic imsomnia and can actually go several days without sleep if I don't take one. There are actually a couple threads here about the weird things Ambien makes people do.

I think medication should be the very last resort.

When I was pregnant I had ALOT of problems sleeping. I had restless leg syndrome and restless mind syndrome! lol My body just would not shut down so I could sleep. And I'd be so tired and exhausted I just wanted to cry.

I used Tylenol PM. All it is is tylenol and benedryl. Nothing addictive. Or if you just want to try taking a benedryl. It knocks me out. So, it worked pretty well for me.

I have the exact same problem as you. Light sleeper, mind racing, etc. I've been that way for as long as I can remember, even as a child I had sleeping problems.

I usually just fight it b/c my schedule doesn't require me to get up too early most days. But when I need to sleep, I take either tylenol pm (which my body becomes immune to quickly so I'm up to 2.5 pills when I take it) or I take ambien (my sister gave me her rx when she got pregnant).

I love ambien. It knocks me out and helps me sleep well. I still don't sleep too deeply (in fact last night I took it and woke up at 4 am by the dogs moving) but I'm able to fall asleep easiily, which counts more for me. The only thing with ambien is if you fight it, it'll give you like an acid trip of sorts--seeing double, body feels liquidy, etc. It's actually fun for me and I fight it sometimes but I can only fight it about 20 minutes before it knocks me out.

Anyway I sleep well on it and it helps me sleep fast.

Do you take naps during the day? It's very easy for me to close my eyes for a nap and sleep about 30 minutes and feel much more refreshed.

I've taken tylenol pm and it usually works okay...but didn't like the idea of taking it multiple nights in a row as i thought i might become addicted.

I don't take naps. I'm usually pretty busy from when I get up until I go to bed.

I find that I often feel tired in the morning but by the afternoon I have energy. Almost seems backwards at times...as the day goes on I gain energy.

I have trouble falling asleep/staying asleep, it's quite bad, I've been up for 25 hours now, and I tried to sleep about 3 hours ago, but woke up an hour after. I'm so shattered but find myself unable to settle. Had this problem for years, but past few months it's been really bad and really affecting. Plus I am ill so it does not help that.

I think you should go to your doctor about it, they may be able to run some tests to see if it's something medical, if not, and it's just difficulty sleeping, might refer you to someone who can help and prescribe you a sedative or anti anxiety med(it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety at nighttime since the whole racing thoughts) might help too.

I took it last night around 1230 and was asleep by 1, awake about 730. I can usually only budget for about 6 hours of sleep each night and I srtill feel fine with that amount of sleep on it as opposed to sleeing only 4 with nothing (b/c it takes hours for me to fall asleep naturally sometimes)

how long does it knock you out for? i assume if i plan on sleeping 8 hours, i'd be fine..but what if i know i'll only get 6 or 7?

That's all I get with it.....6 hours...... I don't think I have ever slept 8 hours with Ambien.....

If I don't have any food in my stomach when I get ready for bed, it knocks me out quick, if I eat something with a couple of hours then it takes a bit longer to fall asleep.

I noramlly sleep for about 7 - 8 hours at a time, but have to get up once or twice most nights for a pee due to my over-active bladder.

Isn't that the worst? UGH....

I already don't get a lot of sleep and that's compounded by the fact that I too have to get up in the middle of the night to pee.

TMI.....last night was the first night I didn't have to pee so I actually slept 6 straight hours! Woohoo

Isn't that the worst? UGH....

I already don't get a lot of sleep and that's compounded by the fact that I too have to get up in the middle of the night to pee.

TMI.....last night was the first night I didn't have to pee so I actually slept 6 straight hours! Woohoo

The wrost, praise be you can get up in time, if you understand what I mean?

But glad you slept straight through, with a bit of confidence you'll do that again tonight and the next night and the next yeah?

The wrost, praise be you can get up in time, if you understand what I mean?

But glad you slept straight through, with a bit of confidence you'll do that again tonight and the next night and the next yeah?

Yeah.....hopefully or I could just pop 2 ambien and really sleep it through.....LOL

j/k *don't want to be known as ENA's resident pill popper.

do you all use anything to drown out noise? like i often use a fan...

I always have my fan on but I find that to be a distraction so I don't use it simply for the white noise. I still have to take the pill.

The only time I really didn't need anything for sleep is when I was working out faithfully. I seemed to sleep fine during that time of my life.

You aren't drinking any caffeine close to bed time are you?

Even when I was wroking out regularly, I wasn't sleeping well. That never helped me.

9 times out of 10, it's not noise keeping me awake; it's my mind racing about nothing in particular. Even when I'm not stressed or bothered by something, I don't sleep well.

I use a fan though b/c I can't sleep if the air is still.

Archived