My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago and at first I was terrible. Then I started to get a little better. However, the past few days I've been sleeping terribly. I'll wake up in the middle of the night dreaming about her and then when I try to get back to sleep I can't and I end up feeling even worse.

I know it's going to take me months and months to feel normal again and I will always feel a little crappy but, has anyone else had problems sleeping??? Not like I can take my mind off of it b/c I have to sleep and I don't want to take sleeping pills.

Hi, sorry to hear you are taking a bit of a step backwards. Sometimes this happens when we're bottling things up as well.

The general advice from here I think would centre around filling your day so that you are very tired at the end of it, getting some physical exericse in, not drinking too much (as this ruins your sleep cycle), relaxing by reading a book and having a hot milky drink before you go to bed. Popping into the gym after work, doing karate or running until you're exhausted also works for some (I can vouch for all of those!).

Seriously though make sure you carrying on talking this through with your friends and family as getting the whole thing out of your system can take a long time. Our bodies usually take over after a while as well and if you have had 2 or 3 interrupted nights, things should get better, but all the above helps.

Take care.

Yeah I've definitely been getting enough exercise. In fact I went from going 3 days a week to 5 now when I go to the gym. That seems like it's the only time of when I don't think about her and I enjoy myself. I'll look into reading books again as well. I've been talking it out with family and friends which helps but I think time is really going to be my best allie.

hey, have heart, it will get easier. before the break up, i didn't sleep for a solid week, and had nightmares about him, now I sleep a bit better but waking up at 5am doesn't help either. Time does heal... it is unfortunate to say and it does sound so cliche but you will finally have a good nights sleep and miss them just a little less.

Archived