Back into shape

I'm 48 and out of shape and need to lose some lbs.

Apart from walking, gardening and house work I don't really do much exercise. Though I do enjoy the odd game of badminton and a swim. Any tips and ideas and how I can shift some body weight and get back into shape. I just want to keep feet and moving.

How much do you weigh? Height?

I think you need to change your lifestyle, do more exercise, but not too much, something you can do everyday. Also, how is your eating?

Maybe go to your doctor and ask if they think you need to lose weight, and if they do, ask them for ideas on how to do this.

Okay, and you're eating habits?

Try to eat a balanced diet but snack to much.

Eat a healthy breakfast and lunch but in the evenings tend to pig out and at the weekends tend to treat myself too much with chocolate and a few pastries.

Okay well you need to work on that then. You need to cut out the junk, and control yourself over how much junk you do have when you treat yourself. Have a big healthy breakfast, a medium sized lunch, then a good portioned dinner to even it out throughout the day . Replace junk snacks with healthy snacks instead.

Id recommend going to the doctors though and perhaps see a dietician or nutritionist as they can help you more on this.

But as I said, you need to change your lifestyle if you want to keep in good shape.

Exercising helps me feel better more than anything. I feel more happy, less tired.

But I have found that for me, weight loss is something directly related to my diet. The most important changes I have made have been restricting my chocolate, other sugar pastry related sweets. And being very careful with the amount of rice/pasta/bread I consume. Also for a long time my milk/yogurt consumption has always been fat free. Another thing that has helped me, (although for periods of time I forget this rule) is counting my fruit/vegetable consumption during the day and making sure I eat at least 5 portions. Usually 2/3 portions of fruit at most and the rest vegetables. When I follow this rule, not only do I feel better but I have less cravings for bad food.

Try replacing your snacks with something healthier.. (I know, easier said than done. ) I usually try to grab some carrots and celery as a snack these days. Thankfully, I'm not really big into sweets, so it's a little easier for me. Tried the rice cake thing, but to me, just wasn't enough "taste" to 'em. Popcorn is good, too. Just don't over do it with the butter and salt.

I'm 48 and out of shape and need to lose some lbs.

Apart from walking, gardening and house work I don't really do much exercise. Though I do enjoy the odd game of badminton and a swim. Any tips and ideas and how I can shift some body weight and get back into shape. I just want to keep feet and moving.

Is badminton an odd game in other places It's very popular in my country, like pingpong. I know people who lose weight though playing badminton. They say it really works.

If you already swim - do more! It burns calories like nothing on earth if you do it regularly, and won't strain your joints, whilst exercising everything. Just resist the temptation to pig out on all things bad for you when you've done - you're already cutting down on chocolate and suchlike; foods which release their calories very slowly are good for combating hunger pangs.

For example, I don't really like flapjacks, but I have one at lunchtime at work and can guarantee that I won't feel hungry or light headed for at least six hours. I just wish I liked porridge, which has a similar effect!

Archived