Tricks to sleeping?

wolf22
Why Men Come Back - ALWAYS
Why Men Come Back - ALWAYS

I have an odd question. It has been about 4 months since my ex dumped me. Its a long story.. the problem I have is this. I can barely sleep at night still! i am a ff so we have calls during the night. i cant ever go back to sleep because i keep overanalyzing things. even on regular nights i just cant sleep, all i do is think of her.

people say force yourself to think of something else, but nothing works. i cant take meds because of job!!! i even tried dating a new girl so i could think about something else, and nothing works!!

any ideas

Tried Nighty Night tea by traditional medicinals? I use that a lot, along with passionflower extract. Also an eye mask. I use ear plugs on the days I'm not on call (I too have to be able to respond 24/7 if needed).

I use Nighty Night tea as well with some success.. usually about 6 hours of sleep from that.. if you are a big guy, maybe two bags would be good.

I have also used a small dose of ativan (0.5mg) on occasion, but not good to make a habit of that.

as for when i wake up in the night:

sometimes i try to imagine myself floating down a river (ie. surrendering into the mystery of life... if you will)

or recite a buddhist prayer asking for healing.

doesn't always help but sometimes it does.

I also have a "white noise" machine that works pretty well except on the worst days (used that last night). It has 20 different sounds including just static which is pretty good. I use water sounds or even a steam train sometimes

Hiya, i am having exactly the same problem as you. It is very easy for others to say force yourself to think of other things. I have been diagnosed with depression and stress due to the breakup of my relationship. Do you feel down or stressed, if so talk to your doctor, mine prescribed me temazapam, and i am currently on tablets for anxiety.

I had the same problem after one of my break ups, the only thing that made me stop thinking was watching TV; most programs are so senseless that my brain just switches off and I fall asleep within 10min - just don't forget to put your TV on sleeper mode

the problem with the tv, especially at work is then i have to sleep in recliner. ive tried it where i fall asleep then wake up and go to bed. but guess what thoughts pop on the way!!! thank you i will try tea. maybe i can find one of those places that erase memory? haha

I had the same problem after my breakup. Actually I generally have the problem when going to bed, that I start thinking about things and then I am more awake then before I got into bed.

My big help were audio books! It sounds strange but when you listen to them your mind is not fixed on your thoughts and then I just fall asleep.

The problem is the next night when I then have to forward to the point where I fell asleep and its not always easy to pinpoint.

Horlicks or something similar might help. The warm milk is good and if you are not keen try adding sugar or honey. Also scented candles like Yankee or something with Lavender has a calming effect. At work you could use a heated neck cushion containing lavender. The heat will relax your muscles around the neck and the lavender will help to soothe you. If you have a microwave at work you can just pop it in there.

Most important thing is to try to clear your mind. Easier said then done I know but perhaps putting on easy listening genre music. Or, how about hearing the sounds of waves crashing to shore and dolphins singing to each other which is surprisingly soothing.

Maybe a book or a talking book could do the trick.

Anything which will trigger of the correct brain responses to aid peaceful sleep.

Hope this helps

x

Sleep (and appetite) are the things that are the toughest in the months out of a breakup...staying physically active (I run and bike) helps...also journaling before you go to sleep to try to get down your thoughts before you lay there and replay all the stuff that goes with the breakup...it's tough...I know I'm through the worst of it when I can actually sleep through the night again...

Books on tape work well for me. I listen to the narrator's voice, instead of the one in my head. Also, an eye mask helps me settle down. Putting on the headphones and eye mask work like a trigger for me now, I drop right to sleep most nights. It takes me forever to get through a book, but that's ok. I'm sure I look ridiculous, but that is ok, too.

Every single night since the breakup I've been unable to fall asleep unless one of these two movies are playing in the background:

High Fidelity

or

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I know they say it's not good to fall asleep watching TV... that's why I play them on my computer! lol, just kidding... but usually I try not to watch them and just listen. I'd advise watching them at some point before you try to go to sleep to them, because they're both excellent films, and you'll find yourself staying awake to see what happens if it's the first time. Aside from that, the subject matter is familiar, so your thoughts about your ex don't seem out of place, but at the same time they're lighthearted for the most part, so they tend to guide those thoughts in a direction that's comfortable and reassuring.

I've tried a few times to go to sleep without them, but it hasn't worked yet. I still just lay there and completely over-analyze. Hopefully this will work for you.

That's the second time today I've pimped out those movies. But hey, whatever works for me might work for someone else, and far be it from me to deprive my fellow grievers of a salve for the pain we're going through. Good luck, man.

I was in a 5 year relationship and when she was gone sleeping alone was one of the hardest things I had to relearn to do. At first when it was more extreame I had a couple of solid methods of sleep... drink an energy drink at 6-7pm and use the crash a few hours later to pass out, or get drunk. (I know these arn't options for you I'm just tellin ya all I went through) After that I tried a few of the tricks... Snuggling with a body pillow... counting sheep... sleeping pills (which suck)... but in the end I came up with my own way of being able to get to sleep and it really helps me... so maybe it'll help you.

I boarded up my windows in my room so it was pitch black... not just dark but pitch black... that's important... and you know how when you're sleeping on your side next to a girl, you can put your arm under the pillow that she's sleeping on... gives you a place to put that arm that you otherwise have to lay on and she's ok with it because it's not in her way?

When you get ready to sleep, and if you can sleep on your side like in spooning, get into that position, stick the arm you're laying on straight out (maybe a little up) put a pillow on that arm, put your head on that pillow (around your sholder area) and get comforatable. Reading it it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it makes perfect sense when you try it. I don't know what it is but this has always gotten me to go straight to sleep, better than anything I've ever tried. It gives me that feeling I used to get when I'd cuddle my girl and everything just sort of blurs out and I pass out in minutes. Maybe it's not for you but it wouldn't take long to find out.

Archived