Skipping a period on purpose with bc

Hi

if you intending to skip a period, soon as the current active pills run out, do you go straight to a new packet and continue to taking active pills ?

Just wanted to make sure.

it might not be the best excuse ever, but im starting a new job the same day its due and will have 2 weeks of intense training, to me, i really, dont want this aswell! lol. I dont want to deal with cramps and all that stuff during training.

Depends what kind of bc you're on. Are you on the kind with 21 days of active pills and 7 days of placebos? If so, then as soon as the active pills run out, you start the new pack instead of starting the placebos.

Just be aware, if you've never skipped this way before it'll mess with your body a bit. You won't have cramps or anything the week you'd normally have your period, but you may have spotting later in the month and your emotions can get kind of out of whack. So just be prepared for other side effects!

It really depends on what kind of BC you are on like PR said. Unless you are on a BC designed specifically to skip periods like Seasonale, you need to consider:

-Is you pill pack monophasic? This means you have 21 days of full dose hormones, and 7 days of placebos....or is your pill pack triphasic? This means you have different levels of horomones each week of you pill pack.

If you want to skip your period, you need to be on a monophasic BC to keep the risk of pregnancy down. I've heard it can be done with triphasic pills possibly, but I haven't been recommended to do so. CHeck with your OB-GYN and do some Googleing.

-You also need to find out (from research and talking to your doc) whether or not your BC has a high enough dose of hormones to stop bleeding to skip your period. Some do not have a high enough dose and you will bleed anyways, sometimes for weeks.

This happened to me. I was on Lutera and wanted to skip my period, so I skipped my placebos and went to a new pack. Even though it was a monophasic BC, the hormones dosage was too low to skip a period, so I bled like a normal period for 14+ days!

Definitely check with your doc. You have options! You can try a higher dose BC to skip, and special BC like Seasonale where you only bleed every 4 months, or the shot. I decided to get a Depo-Provera shot and while the first dose warns you can have spotting, it's slowly going away and I have 12 weeks of pregnancy protection. I've also heard some good things about IUDs, but don't have enough info to give you.

I've heard it can be done with triphasic pills possibly, but I haven't been recommended to do so.

You can do it with this type of BC, but you will definitely want to check with your doctor first...it's a bit more complicated than the other type of BC and it's easier to mess up. But it is possible, my friend is on this type and checked with her doc, and was able to do it just fine.

Archived