Are my chances ruined?

So I have posted on here about my ex bf and I (together 3 years, broke up cause I was depressed and not doing anything to help the relationship and not giving him the attention and affection he wanted so he left, said he didn't want to break up but things were just getting to painful) that was October, we start dating again in Feb, but he keeps me at arms length saying he's scared to go through what we went through, etc. During our break I went to therapy, got help and improved myself, HE on the other hand had to drink to go to sleep and began to really hate his job and wouldn't mope around but wasn't happy. We gave it a go anyway, needless to say he broke up with me again a month ago - NOT CAUSE OF ME. He said he was in love with me and wanted to be with me but was an unhappy person and didn't want to love or be loved.

I think we tried to be together too soon because he wasn't healthy but now I am scared that he will never want to give it another chance cause in his mind he already did even though he split because of where he's at mentally.

He sent me an email 5 days ago that just said, "I don't deserve you" and I responded telling him what a great person I know he is and that I love him and he can get his life together, etc.

Now I am back to NC but I fear that he will never want to give it another try, not for lack of loving me or wanting to be with me but because he just thinks it will end like it did the first time.

Don't know what to think or do or if I'm just screwed...help me please.

Work on improving yourself is the only thing you can do and making your life happy. He needs to get his act together. Don't be his friend, stick to NC. If he comes back, he will need to change and truly want it. Don't worry about him coming back now, he has a lot of changes he needs to make. He needs to do it on his own. If he moves on from you, it shows the type of person he is. Let him feel the loss of you gone and maybe that will kick him in the right direction of fixing himself. I'm on my second breakup with my ex. He dumped me both times. He may come back, he may not.. But in the end as much as it hurts we will be fine with or without them Keep motivated. Keep your life going and only worry about yourself!

All I Ever Wanted Was to Love You
All I Ever Wanted Was to Love You

Archived