the man walks closest to the road side...

alls
Side by side meaning | side by side...
Side by side meaning | side by side sentences | Common English Idioms #shorts

This statement was said on a tv show recently, that one of the things guys do, is that they walk on the side the road is to 'protect' the girl.....

my boyfriend said this a few weeks ago too.. we were just walking and one second he was on my left and then he switched and moved to my right. i looked at him and he said 'the man walks closest to the road. to protect his girl'.

sweet yes, but is this something guys really do?! lol.

Awww that's why when me and my bf (lol, fiance really) go on our bicycle adventures, he always rides on the left, protecting me from the cars passing by

He even sleeps on the one side of the bed that is not pushed to the wall... I can't fall out. Lol. I can't even get out.

Really? Not only are we supposed to be smart, handsome, and a gentleman, but we also have to stop speeding vehicles?

I mean... I go to the gym and all, but I don't think I can bench a stationary car, much less a moving one...

it seems to be a common thing to do. o__0 I didn't even know about it till I met my boyfriend. and he's the least gentlemanly guy ever. didn't even think to hold the door, but he'll walk on the side with cars!

he actually has a fear of me getting run over though. doesn't like it when I stand close to the edge while waiting for the walking sign, even! -_-

What if on the other side of the sidewalk, there's a steep embankment? My first instinct was to stay on the right side of the sidewalk where traffic was coming by, but I started thinking about what was more likely, falling down an embankment while jogging in the ever increasing darkness of a large park/forest, or getting hit by a car which has its headlights on. This resulted in me staying on the side where the embankment was.

It's an old-fashioned courtesy. Not just to protect her from vehicles but to protect her from mud and other nasty things splashed up from passing horses and carriages.

That is correct. And although some will say I'm old enough to remember those days, I'm not THAT old.

My mom always said that too, the man should walk the closest to the road. The other one she said is that when a man and a woman are walking down stairs, he should walk ahead of her, I guess to break her fall if she should trip. She said that when walking up stairs that the woman should lead, and the man should follow so that he can catch her if she falls.

Archived