The Ideal Work/Life Balance

Alright, perhaps I should've posted more replies before starting my own thread, but when you get ideas it's hard to save 'em for later. Oh well.

Anyway, leaving aside matters of the cost of living and how you feel about your job, what do you think is the ideal amount of time to spend at work/study per week? How long is too long? How long is too little?

It completely depends on your stage in life.

I heard someone say something once that has stayed with me since: "You can have everything - just not all at once."

If you are in a tough, competitive university program and have no girlfriend, then I think it's the time to really throw yourself into studying. Of course, you won't be efficient if you don't also make time for recreation, friends, exercise, etc. So balance is always necessary.

But personally I wouldn't go into a field that would require me to work 60 hour weeks or 12 hour days when I have a family. At this point, I have a young child and I would never bring work home on the weekends, work overtime, etc. Once she's older, I would love to have a job that required more of a commitment, or perhaps take night classes, in addition to my job.

For me it depends on how much I enjoy my job and coworkers. I felt I had a great work / life balance at one job when I was easily averaging 80 hours a week at work, because it didn't really feel like stress. I was content and happy. On the other hand, I had a job where I was lucky to work 20 hours a week at most and I was truly miserable because the situation was so bad.

Right now I vary between 30 and 70 depending on what's going on and I have an avid interest in expanding my personal life for a while, so this works for me now.

I think it changes. Seeking the most flexible situations possible so you can adapt to your needs is probably the healthiest thing to do, IMO

Archived