Do dating sites scare you too?

Turtlena

I have been trying to get myself into online dating and I can't seem to get out of me this uneasy fealing of the whole idea online dateing. I feel unsafe or in some way grossed out by the thought that maybe there is this perverted or old guy looking at my Id picture. Am I just paranoid or do many people feel this way?

Hey, there is risk in everything...

Go out to a bar, have some drinks, get your drink spiked and end up waking up in the back of a car with your pants around your ankles? Perverted people hang in bars too..

The best you can do online or off line is be as safe as you can. In a bar, don't let anyone near your drink. Online, only meet people in safe places.

Be cautious always.

You know I used to think that way too, but then I realized that it's the 21st century and EVERYONE is online, and being online doesn't make you a weirdo. Think about it, you are posting on an online forum asking total strangers if online dating is weird?

You have just as much of a chance of meeting a decent guy online as you do in a bar, or at school, or pretty much anywhere. It pays to use a little common sense, but that's no different than with any guy you meet cold somewhere.

I met my husband online 7 years ago. Worked out pretty well.

If it freaks you out dont do it. Although I look at it this way, online you can get an idea of what a persons interests are, what they do, who they are (or claim to be at least... but even in person someone can lie about that) all within the safety of your own place. So if anything... online should freak you out even less.

When you go to meet someone from online do it in a public place, suggest a lunch at the mall... take a friend etc.

It can certainly be arranged safer than a one night stand from the local bar.

Like keyman said, there is a risk in everything.

Personally, I didn't work for me. I tried it and it just ended in disaster every time. I dated 3 guys I met online and all of them ended up just wanting sex.

On the other hand, my best friend met her boyfriend online, who seems to be a great guy. Also, I have another friend who met her now husband online. It works for some people.

It's worth giving a shot, just be careful and use common sense. Just like anywhere else, if you get a strange vibe from a guy, listen to your gut feeling.

Good luck.

I have been trying to get myself into online dating and I can't seem to get out of me this uneasy fealing of the whole idea online dateing. I feel unsafe or in some way grossed out by the thought that maybe there is this perverted or old guy looking at my Id picture. Am I just paranoid or do many people feel this way?

You do know that it's possible for a perverted old guy to check you out in public to right? Not just online

That is true. There are perverted people wherever you go. I will keep trying the online thing. Dating and meeting is not easy for me cause I am shy. I am over 25 and have not had so much as a boyfriend, so that is why I am trying this dating online thing as best I can.

I would just make sure to read their profiles thoroughly and try to get a feel of their character by what they say and how much they say. If they spend a lot of time and effort crafting a good profile, it's more likely they are not a pervert/creep compared to the ones who hastily write a short profile (though it's no guarantee, of course).

Look at their photos posted and what they are doing, as sometimes these are clues into their personality as well.

The 'pay' ones like eHarmony are also more likely to have fewer creeps roaming around than the freebie sites.

And, obviously, always meet in a public place for the first few dates until you really get to know him.

Lots of shady folks online, lots of shady folks in the grocery store, lots of shady folks at school, lots of shady folks in the gym. Online is just another tool to meet, difference is, there is no "block" button at the grocery store, school or at the gym, and the people met online know absolutely nothing about your personal data until you allow them to know things. It's nice to have that kind of control.

Archived