Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Hand me my ruby slippers I'm off to Oz!

Stella Sleepwalks

Good Evening Everyone!

For the past month I have ben thinking about Australia - even DREAMING about it. Sydney in particular. I am thinking about going for my 28th Bday in February 2010, its something I feel I need to do before/if I meet someone and settle down.

The only problem is the cost! I am not looking to work out there. I would like to spend 6 weeks travelling to a few different cities - mainly diving and boating as I have a big passion for the water.

Can you really travel on a budget? Has anyone done it?

Thanks

Stella xxx

Warning warning warning... It will be frickin' hot down here in Feb - especially for coming from the UK, the 'cold place' as we refer to it - but you'll love it!

Make sure you come visit Brisbane in all its humid splendour.

It can be done on a budget, if you are happy to stay in backpacker accomodations, although transport may be the more expensive part of it.

I lived in Sydney for a year, travelled around quite a bit and also have been back to visit a few times since then. LOVE IT!!!

if you want to go for a bit longer, why not get a working holiday visa, which isn't that expensive... you just apply online ( You meet the criteria) and IF you like it so much and happen to find work then you can stay longer! Then if you get there and discover you really really like it, then you tack on bits of work here and there to fund your travels. It's just nice to have the option.

(which I highly highly recommend)

I have to say though the hostels in Australia are rubbish compared to most other places... particularly New Zealand for eg.

Still though, it's just a bed, if you want to do it on a budget you can.. 6 weeks is not a lot, but still good to see some places, although if you want to travel accross the country and see all the main 'sights' you will have to fly a bit to do that.

Keyman is right - it will be stinkin hot down here in February. I live in Melbourne and "Black Saturday" was 47 degrees celcius. Are you ready for that??? Doubt it

Just be careful and make sure all of the accommodation you book has air conditioning. Yes, absolutely you can do it on a budget. Just do your internet research before you come, and keep your flight money separate from your spending. So for instance you don't get stuck in Brisbane when your are flying home from Melbourne!!! HAHA It may or may not have happened to me on a trip to Canada last year

Living costs ie Food and alcohol are a lot cheaper than in the UK. You will be fine. We look forward to having you!

Have you considered link removed? It's a website where you can find people who are willing to let you stay in their house for free. Some even take you round like your tour guide! Of course, it's risky, but many of the "legit" hosts have testimonials from people who've stayed with them and will even offer the contact info of the people they've hosted so you can make sure it's safe. It's a great option to try if you want cheap (cheap as in free in many cases!). Have a great trip!

A big thanks you to everyone who have posted on my thread! Really looking forward to going - Yes I know February is going to be scorching as it is summer out there then, but I have the ambition to spend my birthday out there. Also AC/DC are finishing their tour there during Feb and I don't want to miss seeing them play their home stomping ground!

It is going to cost me approx £1,200 for the return air fare alone, and I know that I will only be able to save around £3,000 in total and maybe an emergency credit card.

I am tempted to embark on a loan of maybe £5,000 and go out there for a full 6 weeks.

Unfortunately Quantas is only offering deals up to the end of July in the UK, but they do a "walk about" package, meaning you can fly to different places once you land in Oz.

I have a few friends who live out there in Queensland and Melbourne so accommodation will be simple when I visit there. My boss knows I am keen to go and has offered me as much OT as possible, so I am working EVERY Saturday doing some pretty horrible jobs no one else wants to do ha ha!

I think I will get the working visa just to be on the safe side. Do you think 6 weeks is enough time? My friend Peter is going travelling their in January for 3 months!!! I couldn't afford to do that though.

Anywhere in particular I should visit?

You can stay up to 2 years on a work visa (one year if you do no rural work.. or you can get your visa extended for another year if you do 3 months of rural work)

if you have the time, I say go for it. 3 months would be expensive for travel, but say you work here and there... then you have a lot more time to see so many more things. You can get 2 day jobs or 6 month jobs.

I would (well I did, so that's why i'm promoting it! 0

can you take a sabbatical from your job?

Depends how much you want to see. For me, when I went to Australia, I really wanted to get a feel for it, so that's why I decided to work and travel.

Met some great friends was able to get a feel for the place i lived and saw a lot of the country as well. If you are traveling for only 6 weeks, i'd say it would be rushed... but still 6 weeks is a good chunk of time to be away.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived