Moving despite parents disapproval

cherryyblossom
Expand Your Comfort Zone Inspiration
Expand Your Comfort Zone Inspiration

I'm the kind of person who never lets go of anything. Two years ago I moved 450 miles with my family to San Diego. I was about to be a senior and I had just gotten my license. I was coming out of my shell (I've always been dealing with social anxiety) and I had friends surrounding me all the time. I was extremely happy and felt like I was on top of the world.

My dad getting a new job so far completely crushed me and I was in shock. I tried being optomistic and started to look at it as the next big step in my life. After moving I completely lost touch with reality. I became so depressed and had lost motivation for everything. I tried so hard to get myself involved. I graduated just in time, walked and everything for the ceramony. I made some friends and even dated a guy for a little over a year. I had two jobs and also did some volunteering on the side. I spent time with my family and kept busy most of the time. Somehow I still felt lost. More and time was going by and I felt like I was standing still.

Fast forward to last week when my parents let me drive up to see my friends in my hometown. The drive was amazing, my hand out the window with the music up, and all the familiar towns passing by. I've been here for 9 days now and I can honestly say this is where I've belonged the whole time. All my close friends are here and I've mended a relationship with my ex after 4 years of on and off dating because of the move. I am perfectly content here and don't miss anything about back home except my parents. I don't know if that's enough of a reason to go back though.

I'm eighteen years old. I drive and have my own car. I have about $500 and a place to stay. There are some places I know of around here that are currently hiring for the summer. My parents said to do what I want but I know they're not happy about me staying here. I know how I felt back with them though and I don't want to go back to that.

I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. Is eighteen too young to be away from your family? Am I going to regret this? I know the choice is all up to me but I would like to hear some opinions besides my parents.

as a parent let me say... it is sooo difficult to let this little person that you have raised for 18 years go out into that big scarery world... and we all handle it differently... they are just concerned about you and it is hard to let go.. sometimes the kid just has to do it. Just make sure it's respectful... you may have to leave with them not being all for it, but make sure you don't leave with bad feelings

Now, as a former 18 yo, who remembers what it was like... explore while you are young. You have no major commitments in your life now.. so you are free to do as you wish. When I was 17 I couldn't wait to get out on my own. I made some choices that changed my plans drastically - I don't regret them, but I sometimes wonder where I would be now.

Now as a 46 yo, who just moved away from her family... it's never easy at any age! In fact my mom just emailed me this week... worried that if I died in my apartment, how would she ever know. Your parents never stop being parents!

Be free, but be responsible... good luck to you!

I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. Is eighteen too young to be away from your family? Am I going to regret this? I know the choice is all up to me but I would like to hear some opinions besides my parents.

If you cannot afford to live on your own, you will regret it. Be very prepared... since you live in Cali, living costs are very expensive and will cost more than $500 a month.

There are a few 18 year olds out there who CAN make it out on their own... but they do not have college degrees and work at dead end jobs to make ends meet. Are you ok with working 2 jobs (1 if you are LUCKY to find a good paying job with the age you are and amount of experience you have with the economy as it is) and not going to college? That's your call, but let me tell you, it's a rough world out there.

Archived