Would you ever not date someone based on the sound of his/her voice?

Lowconfidence

As shallow as it sounds, yes it would (and has) affect(ed) my decision to date someone. I have to be attracted in every aspect to someone who I'd be in a committed relationship with and if I'm not attracted, I'm not attracted. I can't force that as much as I'd want to.

I know it may seem superficial, but can someone you find physically attractive have a voice you just cannot stand to listen to? Has this ever happened to you?

I've never made a decision to date someone based on their voice. But then ive never met a person whose voice i couldnt stand listening to.

I have dated someone (in part) because I was attracted to their voice. I don't think I'd find someone interesting to date if I were put off by the sound of their voice. It hasn't happened to me, but I admit that this would be a factor. I think I would especially be unattracted to whininess, regardless of the tone or timbre of the voice. Someone with a whining style would turn me off.

I know it may seem superficial, but can someone you find physically attractive have a voice you just cannot stand to listen to? Has this ever happened to you?

There's a guy in my neighborhood who was very very attractive to me. Then I heard this high pitched voice of his and my interest dropped quite a bit. I probably would get used to it were we dating, but first impression was on the negative side. I'd say the same for a very deep voice - there's a certain timbre I find very alluring...

And to be fair, my own voice is lower pitched (alto) than many men would like from a woman. I simply can't pull off the feminine, dainty tones...

i already made a thread like this

Not in this part of the forum. Ande besides, there's room for everyone.

OP - Yes, a nice voice can make someone sexy in the same way a "bad" voice can ruin them.

Lol, this makes me think about a character in a comic I read (Love and Rockets), Vivienne is totally hot, but she has such a bad voice she's called Frogmouth.

Eh, really, truly honestly its not their voice to me at all, its what they're saying. I've been friends with people that have terribly strange voices, and I loved hanging out with them just as much as anyone else. My current interest is someone I've seen on and off for around 3 years, and while I recall not thinking his voice was all that manly in the beginning, I enjoy talking to him so much that his voice has become something that soothes me. Its one of my favorite sounds in the world.

I met a guy online once and we made plans to go on a date. When he called me (on his way to my house), his voice was an absolute turnoff. I still went on the date, and he was a nice guy, and even though there was a little attraction between us, his voice didn't become any more bearable. It does sound shallow, but it simply bothered me. It didn't stop me from dating him (there were other things that stopped me), but to this day (we're still friends) his voice just gets to me!

I declined to meet a number of men in person through on line dating sites because their voices were either effeminate, very nasal or with a tone or inflection that sounded constantly negative and/or depressed. Voice is a part of attraction, important to me, and especially when the voice reflects the personality/self confidence it is by no means superficial in my opinion.

Why do they have trouble understanding you? Accent or something else?

Yeah. I live in Florida and I have a very strong Yorkshire accent (not from around here obviously). I think the way I pronounce certain words or such, how fast I talk, plus some of the slang that I automatically use having grown up speaking in that dialect, tends to make conversations difficult sometimes. I dunno....it seems to happen a lot and I can imagine that if a girl cant understand me too well, it might put her off.

I could be imagining it but the thread made me think!

Lol, this makes me think about a character in a comic I read (Love and Rockets), Vivienne is totally hot, but she has such a bad voice she's called Frogmouth.

Haven't read the whole series, but I was wondering which do you prefer, Jaime or Gilbert Hernandez? Have you read Heartbreak Soup? Loved that book.

I declined to meet a number of men in person through on line dating sites because their voices were either effeminate, very nasal or with a tone or inflection that sounded constantly negative and/or depressed. Voice is a part of attraction, important to me, and especially when the voice reflects the personality/self confidence it is by no means superficial in my opinion.

I agree, voice is definitely a part of attraction. One thing I'm not attracted to are people with thick accents. For some reason it's a major turn-off for me.

My ex's ex has the most god awful voice I've ever heard. And I'm not just saying that because she's his ex, I've hated the sound of her voice since before I knew anything about their history. I have no clue how he put up with it for 4 years... I would have shot myself if I had to listen to that everyday.

So yes, someones voice could absolutely be a dealbreaker for me.

I'd also have to say I wouldn't date someone based on that; and this will sound very harsh and shallow, but even if they didn't have decent English. Not to look down on them or think it'll always be like that, but a bit like the voice, or something physically about them, or anything about them, if it's a turn off, it's a turn off.

I should put my usual clarification here that I've never actually had to do this to anyone

Archived