Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

annie24

Has anyone ever been to the upper peninsula of michigan? Any recommendations? I was thinking about going there for a long weekend, maybe canoeing or kayaking or something. anyone have any suggestions what to do, where to stay? thanks!

I loved Bond Falls I think that was accross the UP line. Plus of course Mackinac Island is a must see (get some fudge!!!).

There are some really nice hunting lodges and bed and breakfasts in norther Wisconsin and the UP so look around and see what you can see.

yeah, i'm not into hunting or fishing, but i think bike riding or canoeing or kayaking for a weekend would be fun. fudge sounds good too.

was there stuff to do at night?

The hunting lodges don't have hunters in them except during hunting season. They can have some good deals and nice accomodations the rest of the year.

Tons of state parks up in that area, plus the Lake, of course. I killed 8 days running around Wisconsin and the UP with no problems at all. Devil's Lake in Wisconsin is gorgeous if you ever get that far.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandparents live in Petoskey so we've been to U.P. several times. Go up to Copper Harbor if you can, really neat town with nothing but copper-related shops.

Aside from that all I remember was a born drive and a big maximum security looking jail

In terms of night life, you're not going to find much in the UP. There are bars scattered around, of course you'll find more in college towns like Marquette, but the nightlife itself isn't all that exciting in general.

In terms of outdoorsy things to do during the day, pictured rocks is very pretty, though I haven't been there in years so I can't really remember a lot about it. I went to Tequomenon Falls (I'm sure I butchered the spelling on that) a couple of years ago and did some hiking--it was really pretty up there.

I absolutely love kayaking. I rented a kayak and went from just north of Harbor Springs up to Mackinaw City once. That was a lot of fun. If you get a chance, visit Harbor Springs. I grew up there and it's SUCH a pretty town. It's not quite the UP, but it's on Lake Michigan. Very pretty, lots of things to do in the summer up there.

Mackinac Island is kind of cool if you've never been up there. They don't allow cars on the island, so you have to get around either on foot, bike or horseback. I took a horse out for the day last time I was up there and rode around the island. The Grand Hotel is something to see, then you have that fort (which is boring to me but a lot of people like it), the "downtown" area, cute little shops. Plus, the ferry ride is nice : )

But I agree with sidehop--the drive is LONG and boring.. blah. There's one beach I like up there... I can't remember what it's called though. It's sort of out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to ask my mom.

Archived