Interview takes place at Starbucks...... should I order my drink first or wait for interviewer?

Hi everyone I know it sounds dumb but I'm meeting my interviewer at Starbucks tomorrow.... I've never had an interview at a coffee shop so I'm clueless as to the etiquette...

If I arrive early, should I just get a seat and order a drink first?

Or should I wait for the interviewer to arrive THEN order a drink together? If order together, who pays?

Thanks! Your help is much appreciated

Er no - get there first and order a drink.

Get there first so they aren't left waiting for you. Order a drink so you don't look awkward just sitting there. When they arrive, introduce yourself and say "I hope you don't mind, I ordered myself a drink."

[Also avoids the whole "I'll pay for you" or them paying for you thing - which is just akward. Any akwardness should be minised at an interview]

Er no - get there first and order a drink.

Get there first so they aren't left waiting for you. Order a drink so you don't look awkward just sitting there. When they arrive, introduce yourself and say "I hope you don't mind, I ordered myself a drink."

[Also avoids the whole "I'll pay for you" or them paying for you thing - which is just akward. Any akwardness should be minised at an interview]

Ok yeah I was thinking exactly that too....the potential awkwardness when ordering together.

Hmm yeah maybe I'll order a drink first to avoid the whole "I'll pay" and "NO I'LL PAY" situation..

Here's what a job/career coach advised me:

Take a bottle of water to your interview.

Coupla reasons:

1. You'll probably have some nervous cottonmouth going on.

2. Taking a quick sip will give you a couple extra seconds to frame an answer if you get a tougher question

3. In many cases, an interviewer may offer you a drink. Bringing your own shows some advance preparation.

4. Holding the water bottle will give you something to do with your hands so you're not engaging in nervous/distracting motions/gestures.

I'd get there early and buy a bottled water.

why do you need a drink?

That's what i dont' get.

if you go to an interview, it's better to have no food/ bevvies.

if they offer you water, then that's fine... but otherwise I say no.

Will you be really thirsty when you arrive or something

Sorry, but it just baffles me that you are more focused on your drink than the interview

why do you need a drink?

That's what i dont' get.

Sorry, but it just baffles me that you are more focused on your drink than the interview

Because it takes place at Starbucks lol.....

why do you need a drink?

That's what i dont' get.

Oh my god. They are at a coffee shop!!

This interview is occurring at a coffee shop. Have people missed that? OP needs a drink because coffee shops dont let you use their premises to hang out unless you order something!!

Seriously OP - go with my suggestion. It also shows assertiveness instead of just sitting there like a mouse. It's the normal thing to do. There's nothing unprofessional about it and its the least akward solution all up.

Oh my god I'm confused again now.....

My friend says to wait for the interviewer to arrive because it's the courteous thing to do...

That's a fair point but the interview itself is taking place in a relaxed setting - at starbucks. So perhaps taking a slightly more layed back approach would not be a bad thing.

I just think it looks (and would feel) weird to be sitting there for 10 minutes just waiting. Makes you look all lost when they walk in. I would be sipping on some coffee and pretending to read through my resume. When the interviewer walked in I'd get up, shake their hand and say "I hope you don't mind, I got here a little early so I ordered myself some coffee."

And that would be that.

Do what feels comfortable for you. You being comfortable and relaxes is the most important thing here. Otherwise its six in one and half a dozen in the other.

Muwahahahah

I would say ordering a drink of something is a good idea. Understandably the need for coming accross well and presentation is just as important as the interview itself. I've had several interviews in more casual locations too, it makes a very refreshing change from the office! I'm more in favour of the idea of ordering something because firstly it would look good that you arrived early and secondly you would appear to be calmer, and as another poster also suggested, it would give you a chance to look over your resume or any notes you may have. It may also take your mind off the thought of sitting there in nervous anticipation!

I would say ordering a drink of something is a good idea. Understandably the need for coming accross well and presentation is just as important as the interview itself. I've had several interviews in more casual locations too, it makes a very refreshing change from the office! I'm more in favour of the idea of ordering something because firstly it would look good that you arrived early and secondly you would appear to be calmer, and as another poster also suggested, it would give you a chance to look over your resume or any notes you may have. It may also take your mind off the thought of sitting there in nervous anticipation!

Thank you for your suggestion!

I think I will scope out the situation tomorrow as I arrive Who knows, we just might arrive at the same time!

That's a fair point but the interview itself is taking place in a relaxed setting - at starbucks. So perhaps taking a slightly more layed back approach would not be a bad thing.

I just think it looks (and would feel) weird to be sitting there for 10 minutes just waiting. Makes you look all lost when they walk in. I would be sipping on some coffee and pretending to read through my resume. When the interviewer walked in I'd get up, shake their hand and say "I hope you don't mind, I got here a little early so I ordered myself some coffee."

And that would be that.

Do what feels comfortable for you. You being comfortable and relaxes is the most important thing here. Otherwise its six in one and half a dozen in the other.

Muwahahahah

Thank you for the help!

I had an interview recently at Starbucks and I got there first, so I ordered a drink first and sipped at it while waiting. No biggie. When the interviewer got there, I waited while she ordered her drink but it was no prob. better you wait than they wait.

I've had the equivalent interview (with Tim Hortons).

Their job location was pretty far away (think 5 hour drive away) but both the employer and I were located in the capital. They obviously have no office there, so it's an easily accessible/logical place to do it.

The only down thing I can see is, if it's really crowded/busy/loud then it's distracting.

Oh my god. They are at a coffee shop!!

This interview is occurring at a coffee shop. Have people missed that? OP needs a drink because coffee shops dont let you use their premises to hang out unless you order something!!

Seriously OP - go with my suggestion. It also shows assertiveness instead of just sitting there like a mouse. It's the normal thing to do. There's nothing unprofessional about it and its the least akward solution all up.

I have worked at plenty of bars restaurants cafes coffeee shops and would never think about buying a drink... if they offered... yes...but i would be thinking more about the sorts of questions they might ask, not at what stage should I go get my skinny latte with no froth!!

Archived