roomate situation

yumicecream

I lost my job last year and I had to take a job that pays far less. In order to get back in a position similar to where I was last year, I will have to work long and hard and dish out cash that I don't have. I'm young and single and I take care of myself- always have ever since I turned seventeen. I've never depended on a man, to much pride for that.

Because I am now making less, I'm forced to live in places that are not always the best. When you make only a certain amount, you have to settle. I used to live by myself but I have to have a roomate now.

I have had bad experiences with this and rarely get desirable people. Before I came here, I lived with someone who lied to me...he told me there were no male roomates where I would be living and there was this huge man who lived there with me when I arrived (this man had women over every night and if he got drunk, whose to say he wouldn't rape me, no one would know, it was in the middle of nowhere).

Well, my new roomate from the past six months is much younger than I am . I've lived with her fairly peaceably but its mainly because I have a relationship with her similar to a Mom: I pick up after her. I am tired of being the house slave and I want her to take care of her own things. Then, when I clean my things but leave her stuff, she actually had the audacity to say that she wanted me to help her clean since verything looked "disgusting", even though its HER stuff that is only there! That, and her boyfriend is coming to live with us, which means they'll likely try to gang up on me about house issues.

I am tired of this and am looking to move out. BUt all the available places are with live-in couples, which is a lifestyle I do not personally agree with. There is one very nice place but the rent is rather high, I even had the woman lower it but it still is pretty high.

I'm just getting down about this...why are there no places that I can afford to live in in this city? I have a lot of experience under my belt and I earned my degree, so why is it still so hard?

i feel your pain, though i'm only a student. finding a place to live is such a pain. the live-in couples "life style"... how is that any of your business? if you don't agree, who cares? i think perhaps you could try and make the roommate situation less personal. it might help. when you do move in, keep to yourself more. be matter of fact with them. it would help with the cleaning issue, esp if they have the audacity to ask you to help clean.

I'm not sure if I have much advice for you but I can understand how you feel. For the past few years I've been going back forth between living by myself then living with someone because it costs too much. Right now I live with 2 good friends of mine who are a couple. I've had some problems with cleaning especially with the guy, but you have to put your foot down and refuse to do their cleaning for them. I've been getting kind of annoyed with them lately though. Ever since their school work has slowed down they are constantly home. I never get the place to myself or any peace and quiet. I would love to be able to move out this summer, but places are too expensive on my own, so I'll probably stay with them for a while.

Maybe you should really reconsider living with a couple. It's not the most ideal situation, but it really hasn't bothered me that they are a couple, and it is nice splitting all bills 3 ways.

I don't want to live with a live-in couple for a lot of personal reasons. I could make a comparison for you, but I feel that where I live to some degree, is my business.

I very much stay to myself, usually it has been a business agreement. I've never moved in with friends.

I think writing it down gave me some perspective. I mean, there really isn't a solution I want that is immediate. Sometimes you can't get what you want in life. I had my own place, it was great (although I did get very lonely sometimes, admittedly), now its over and I won't be able to quickly get it back.

I am considering moving back home but my parents live far away from where I work. I'd save money if they lived closer, even if I was a 26 year old who had to move back in (actually 27 very soon).

Well, as a single woman I don't want to get raped, which I'd predict would happen if I lived on the shady part of town. NOt only that, but the prices are still a bit steep on my current income. I am in an expensive city and getting paid crap since no one is hiring right now and I have to get my Masters to move up, something I can't afford right now. Money money money!

You could take out a school loan to pay for your Masters (esp since getting it will probably help your job prospects). And you won't have to pay for your loan until you graduate. With that being said, part of the loan proceeds should cover "living expenses" and you could use that for rent so you could "kill two birds with one stone" - finish masters so can get a better job and live alone again.

No matter what the living situation is, get your own bathroom!

I live with 3 other roomies in a house although I have BA degree and a full-time job.

Where I live, the rent is too high also, and I had no choice at this point.

There's no such thing as perfect roommates.

You have to sacrifice something It sucks, but it's the reality.

I don't know if its wise to do that? I mean, I already have to pay of just $5000 more of my student loans as is. Its not much but when you're making zilch like I am these days, it is a lot. I don't even know if, in this economy, they'd let me take out a loan. I can't afford to live two more years on a graduate student salary. Maybe if I came from a wealthy home like some of my peers.

I don't mind sharing a bathroom, although I always have to pay for the toilet paper which is getting expensive. And I dont' mind this as much but it seems like everytime I actually have to take a shower, she has to use the bathroom and she'll bang her door over and over really loudly to make it known.

I don't mind sharing a bathroom, although I always have to pay for the toilet paper which is getting expensive. And I dont' mind this as much but it seems like everytime I actually have to take a shower, she has to use the bathroom and she'll bang her door over and over really loudly to make it known.

It adds up. I'm in exactly the same situation.

I already told her my morning time schedule,

yet she occupies the bathroom for 1hr easily.

I sometimes have to go to work without washing my face.

She keeps saying she is poor, so I buy toilet papers and cleaning stuff.

It adds up to your stress. Trust me. Private bath is what you need

I know with graduate school, you have bigger loan limits (you can take out more). I would just get the graduate school done and over with. That way you will have a masters and can get jobs that pay more (both in a university setting and out).

I couldn't stand sharing a bathroom with a roommate or roommates, esp if she is as rude as she is being (banging on your door whenver you are taking a shower). It would drive me nuts.

Archived