I feel like I've tried everything. This is my 7th rehab. I see a therapist, a shrink, take medication. I've gone to countless AA meetings and just decided it's not for me. There are a few other meetings in town not of the AA type but I always feel like it's too far to drive. I deal with a psychiatric diagnosis in addition to a drinking problem which just makes things harder Anyway, I am at my wits end. I am in personal survival mode, but the closest forum I could find is personal growth. A couple of nights ago I could have burned the house down - woke up and my entire house was filled with smoke as I'd put something on to cook and then fell asleep (?) I don't remember honestly. Wine and maybe even a sleeping pill. No, not trying to kill myself (hence this doesn't really fit in the suicide forum) but going to succeed one of these days at the rate I am going. Then I left a couple of nasty messages for my former (at this point) BF/friend and he may be well out of my life. As bad as he is, he is *someone* here and has put up with a lot from me over the years. He no longer trusts that I am going to stop drinking and is tired of my unpredictability. I do appreciate his side of things and can't blame him (at least not as long as I continue to drink and until I get my mental health improved). Anyway, anyone have any recommendations short of locking myself up somewhere? I can't believe this is my life! Thanks in advance.

As trite as this sounds....you have just got to quit using cold turkey and deal with the uncomfortableness. Start living life more, try new things. But above all don't drink when you are bored. Sit in it and through it.

Do you really truly want to quit? No rehab, meds, shrink, AA meeting etc can help if you aren't determined to quit. It very hard, but its not impossible. Take it one step at a time & dont pick up a drink everytime you have the urge, go out for a walk, take a nap, bath, call someone etc...I know I wasn't much help, but I really hope you recover, being addicted is no way to live. **Hugs**

Do you really truly want to quit? No rehab, meds, shrink, AA meeting etc can help if you aren't determined to quit. It very hard, but its not impossible. Take it one step at a time & dont pick up a drink everytime you have the urge, go out for a walk, take a nap, bath, call someone etc...I know I wasn't much help, but I really hope you recover, being addicted is no way to live. **Hugs**

Yes, I really do want to quit (well, part of me does and part of me doesn't), but each time I do I get into this big depression. I gave it a sincere go some months back and got depressed to the point where I became pretty non-functional. After three weeks of this I said - just one bottle - just 3 or 4 hours of not feeling this way. Two days later I hooked up with a psycho guy I met on the Net (unbeknownst to me a crack addict and in AA) and it was all downhill from there - a lying rehab in CA that took $5000 from me for a few days of my being there, then back here to search for another program that would be different than the others. I am going to fight to get that money back but this means I take them to small claims in CA. I am unemployed so have wayyy too much time on my hands. I did start volunteering and maybe the thing to do is to go in there more days a week to keep me out of trouble. I will think about that. It's a far drive, but well worth the effort. At least I'm still at the point where I can help others (it is a fairly simple thing to do).

Anyway, it helps just to have someone to talk to. Thanks for any and all replies.

Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch T...
Lost the Love Of Your Love? Watch This!

Archived