Someone please explain the magical power of babies to me.

Seymore

Inspirational Quotes For First Time...
Inspirational Quotes For First Time Moms: 100+ Best Heart Touching New Mom Quotes

To start - my work consists of probably about 80-85% women. At my work, there’s this girl. She is the most despised person at my job, and you’d be hard-pressed to find a single person, including me, who can find a single good quality in her. I mean she’s plain nasty.

One woman has a baby, and ALL the women are making googy noises and literally rushing out of their rooms to see. I damn near expect an alarm to go off that says “Baby in the building!”

A couple of women at work got pregnant last year. The “nasty” girl is hanging around them more and more, seeming awfully envious of all the attention they’re getting, and a few months later winds up pregnant herself, supposedly by some guy she just met, and after getting pregnant, she drops him. No idea why, but I have my theories.

9 months later, nasty girl has the baby. Most of the women are gossiping about how she got pregnant just to fit in, “Oh, she doesn’t even take care of the baby”, yada yada...but she comes into the building with the baby and the SAME women FLOCK to her, making goo-goo sounds and smiling with nasty girl and laughing and joking around. I even tease my co-worker about it every time she talks bad about this girl, saying “Wasn’t that you I saw rushing to see the baby and joking around with her?”

WHAT is this magical power?!?? What is it about a baby that can put womens’ differences aside like that?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it's something men can understand, honestly...There's something about a baby that's like a magnet for women! It's definitely the protective, maternal instinct kicking in--biologically speaking, it's easy to see why it would be good for the survival of our species for as many females as possible to feel protective of any one infant! That way if something happens to the mother the baby will still be cared for and loved.

Also they're just so cute! *melts just thinking about them*

I wonder the same thing. When I worked at an office, people would bring in their kids and people would practically suffocate the baby by forming large crowds. I sort of think the people bring their babies in just to get the attention maybe?

My sister is pregnant and I'm so excited and I'll be glued to that kid when it's born but I can't find it in me to look at a random baby and get all gushy and make my uterus burst in baby juice.

The thing is.... no matter how nasty the baby's mother is... that baby is still an innocent. It is still new. A clean slate. There is nothing to hate about it, and it would be foolish to hate it just because you hate the mother.

I mean sure, genetics can be passed down, and things can be learned, and it could very well grow up to be just as nasty as the mom. But for now, all it is is an adorable little newborn. It could be anything - including totally different from its mother.

I wonder the same thing. When I worked at an office, people would bring in their kids and people would practically suffocate the baby by forming large crowds. I sort of think the people bring their babies in just to get the attention maybe?

My sister is pregnant and I'm so excited and I'll be glued to that kid when it's born but I can't find it in me to look at a random baby and get all gushy and make my uterus burst in baby juice.[/QUOTE]

awww.....uterus's bursting in baby juice are the best...... roflmao

The thing is.... no matter how nasty the baby's mother is... that baby is still an innocent. It is still new. A clean slate. There is nothing to hate about it, and it would be foolish to hate it just because you hate the mother.

I mean sure, genetics can be passed down, and things can be learned, and it could very well grow up to be just as nasty as the mom. But for now, all it is is an adorable little newborn. It could be anything - including totally different from its mother.

Yep.

However I'd probably get more excited about a puppy than a baby....

Unless of course it was a relatives. I love my aunt's little boy (especially now that he is a little older and can walk).

Babies are a wonderful gift that can melt even the coldest heart. Until I had one of my own I was afraid of the little things. Now I just love to marvel at their beauty.

Women are wired for just what you desribed. We have all seen different animals take in a baby from another species and nurse them and take care of them. This is no different.

This is just another example why us men are so damn lucky women are here on earth!

Lost

Babies are a wonderful gift that can melt even the coldest heart. Until I had one of my own I was afraid of the little things. Now I just love to marvel at their beauty.

Women are wired for just what you desribed. We have all seen different animals take in a baby from another species and nurse them and take care of them. This is no different.

This is just another example why us men are so damn lucky women are here on earth!

Lost

Such as that lioness that keeps stealing wildebeest babies. She'll try to take care of them but they always get eaten by hyenas. She cries for days each time. I remember reading about that.

My sister is pregnant and I'm so excited and I'll be glued to that kid when it's born but I can't find it in me to look at a random baby and get all gushy and make my uterus burst in baby juice.

ROFL bursting baby juice.... ugh blech

Its ok though Seymore, I will also attest to fact that not ALL women go insane over every baby we see. While I do think they are cute, and I understand the draw, just like hersmudders said, not every random kid makes me flock to it. Far from it actually.

One of my co-workers recently gave birth actually too, and while I was thrilled to see kid when she brought her in, I wasn't going into baby convulsions either. Another co-worker just found out she is pregnant as well... she's already feeling sick everyday and gaining weight and I'm pretty far from being jealous.

I can't find it in me to look at a random baby and get all gushy and make my uterus burst in baby juice.

That is the funniest disgusting thing I've laughed at in a long time.

I mean, I get that a baby's cute. They are. Nasty girl brought the baby up to me and I managed to keep a straight face and not make faces at it, but I just said "Wow, you're cute. Must have all of your father's features."

It's like I still can't stand HER, and I don't want to give in to her attention-whoring wants. But these people I work with just completely forget what a beeyotch this girl is and are all cool with her as long as a baby's around, and I don't get how...it's baby power, I tell you. I couldn't do that. I'd tickle the baby and tell it's mom I can't stand her.

I had a person exactly like this in work! and when she got preggers everyone flocked, I did'nt, cos well I did'nt like her..

if they really did'nt like her they would'nt flock.

Maybe they did'nt wanna make her feel left out by not flocking, and the baby is not responsible for how horrible her parent is.

A guy I used to work with said babies give off "stupid gas." He said he'd seen this pattern with most of his coupled friends: They have baby #1...either by choice or by "oops"....and about 18-24 months after baby #1, they get all googly-eyed and go "Let's have another!" He said the "stupid gas" was a baby's defense mechanism.

I know he was kidding, but it's as reasonable as any other theory I've heard.

Otherwise, the only thing I can tell you is the oooh-ing and ahhh-ing is the socially accepted/expected thing and you may be seen as impolite/mannerless or downright rude if you don't chime in.

Personally, I don't get it. I don't even think small humans are all that cute. And I'm one of those curmudgeonly types who think small humans don't belong in workplaces for any length of time.

I get where you are coming from, and it does seem pretty awful to use such a thing to get attention or to get people to like you. But at the same time, motherhood can also change people. Maybe it will, maybe it won't... time will tell.

I highly doubt that the other people have forgotten what she is like. I'm betting they are just more focused on enjoying the presence of the new little one and hoping it may bring about a change for the better. When the baby is not present at work, and if she goes right back to being mean and nasty... do you really think they'll continue to act all nice and friendly with her?

Going off of what shes2smart said--it's true that you're seen as a bit of an evil person if you don't like babies. That's fine with me. I don't care if people think I'm awful b/c I don't get all retarded around them. I get retarded around other things. Like the golden girls. They're cooler than any babies I've ever met.

When the baby is not present at work, and if she goes right back to being mean and nasty... do you really think they'll continue to act all nice and friendly with her?

They don't. But it seems the "baby club" has accepted her, lol.

Someone said babies are cute, but they become children. Reminds me of a joke some comedian said: "Saying I like children is like saying 'I like people, but only for a little while'".

Otherwise, the only thing I can tell you is the oooh-ing and ahhh-ing is the socially accepted/expected thing and you may be seen as impolite/mannerless or downright rude if you don't chime in.

yeah, i agree. if someone brings their baby in, i always go and coo over the baby for 5-10 minutes, talk about how beautiful the baby is, how it has its mother's eyes, how alert and smart the baby is, then i go back to work. lol.

i go bat poop crazy when i see a puppy or kitten though. they are waaaaayyyyy cuter!!!

yeah, i agree. if someone brings their baby in, i always go and coo over the baby for 5-10 minutes, talk about how beautiful the baby is, how it has its mother's eyes, how alert and smart the baby is, then i go back to work. lol.

i go bat poop crazy when i see a puppy or kitten though. they are waaaaayyyyy cuter!!!

totally agree with this.

I'll tell the mom how cute the kid is (and I usually really do think so.. they ARE cute)... but I really don't feel nuts over them. I just don't. But outta sheer respect for the woman carrying it around for 9 months and then pushing it outta her loins... hell yah I'll pat her on the back and tell her it is cute and wonderful!

But a kitten!?! OMG I'll melt and steal them all. I'd probably end up too distracted to get any work done, its horrible. ](*,)

Don't ask me, I actually don't really like babies and never have. No maternal instinct whatsoever. I see or hear a baby, I run the other direction. My mother, on the other hand, had an overabundance of it and would have kept me under the age of 1 forever if she could have.

I can't stand to be around kids.. sounds awful but I feel way uncomfortable around them, especially when they are like 5 or so! with babies i'm so awkward and just don't wanna be there lol and my sister just had a baby, he's lovely but I just was never brought up with children around, I was youngest and my nephew is the only baby we've had in the family.

I like them when they get about 2 or 3 (though I give them back when the attitude hits). They're fun at that age. When they're babies you can't reeally do much but stare at them. Pretty boring. Then they throw up. Ooh, ahh.

Archived