To write a letter of resignation or not...

YabbaDabba
Quit your job? Here's what you&...
Quit your job? Here's what you'll need to do!

So, I got a new job which starts on (or around) June 22nd. To fit into the whole "two weeks' notice" window, I have to inform my boss that I'm leaving sometime this week or early next week.

But, considering the laid-back nature of my job, not to mention that I'm a part-timer, I don't know if I should write a letter of resignation or not. I mean, the place where I work isn't overly laid-back (there's a dress code and all that good stuff), but my relationship/interaction with my boss is a little lax. Like...I don't have any set hours to work; I sort of just show up whenever--I don't even think my boss knows what hours I come in, actually.

Anyway, I digress. My point is that I'm not sure how one goes about this. Like, do I write the letter of resignation and then wait for her to approach me about it OR do I verbally just tell her I'm leaving and then follow up with a formal letter?

Or can I just tell her I'm quitting and not worry about the letter at all? (Keeping in mind, the laid-back nature of the job, I kind of feel like a * * * * * * * writing an uber stiff, formal letter of resignation).

So, yeah, I guess this is just my long-winded way of asking, "What's a girl to do?"

I think the friendliest and easiest way for everyone is if you go and have a chat, and indicate that you are going to hand in a letter. Rather than saying "I quit", you say "I'm going to hand in a letter of resignation tomorrow" or whatever.

Then the formal letter is softened with the informal chat. But if it's that laidback, then the boss may say that the letter isn't necessary, and you're free.

You should write the letter of resignation, give it to your supervisor in person, tell them it is your letter of resignation and that you are sorry to be leaving.

Why write the letter when you are going to say it anyway? Professionalism. It also makes it more official.

There are tons of online samples of letters of resignation you can use as a model.

While it is not often required, it's almost like a closing statement in your work file and really just formalises it.

It doesn't have to say much. That you intend to exit the job at a certain time, and if it's in writing, with your signature (and you have a copy) they cannot argue it.

Archived