Better talking in person....

aldridal

than on the phone. However, the problem is, we live 4 hours apart at the moment.

What are some ways people get around the "choppiness" that sometimes happens during phone conversations? We've had some really great convos, and they usually last over an hour, but sometimes it seems a little choppy. When we're together in person we obviously don't have this problem.

Are there any neat tricks to improve this?

Argh, if there's a good answer to this, I want to know it!

I think at the times it seems "choppy," though, the conversation becomes forced and therefore should probably be ended anyway. When my boyfriend and I encounter "choppy" conversations (even after just a few minutes of talking), we just get off the phone and he'll call back a couple of hours later after enough time has passed that there may be something new to talk about (depending on what we were up to that particular night).

That's the only suggestion I have, really...if the choppiness happens, just take a break from talking and call back later on and see if it's a little better. Conversations don't always have to be long, even when you're 4 hours apart. At least you're talking every day, even if it's brief.

I mean the conversation just seems choppy. The silences aren't really what gets me - I mean, we're talking for over an hour, it's not going to be non-stop.

I guess it's sort of hard to explain. It seems like over the phone, I say things like:

"And stuff like that"

"yeah......"

"So, you know."

You know what I'm saying? Almost like conversation filler lines. Maybe I'm forcing the conversation too much. Trying to say something when something doesn't need to be said. I've gotten better, but I just have trouble talking over the phone. I'm not used to it. I don't want to be too boring, and I love talking to her, so I try talking too much it seems.

Argh, if there's a good answer to this, I want to know it!

I think at the times it seems "choppy," though, the conversation becomes forced and therefore should probably be ended anyway. When my boyfriend and I encounter "choppy" conversations (even after just a few minutes of talking), we just get off the phone and he'll call back a couple of hours later after enough time has passed that there may be something new to talk about (depending on what we were up to that particular night).

That's the only suggestion I have, really...if the choppiness happens, just take a break from talking and call back later on and see if it's a little better. Conversations don't always have to be long, even when you're 4 hours apart. At least you're talking every day, even if it's brief.

Exactly, lol. Good point. We can usually get the conversation going again, and I'm probably just remembering it as worse than it really was (I tend to over analyze quite a bit). We talk at least 3-4 times a week for over an hour on the phone, and on the days we don't talk, we text.

I have a really bad problem that when someone tells me something really interesting or important I just say "Yeah."

That makes people mad.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much but I agree with the person above, that you should maybe just end the convo and talk later, maybe?

It seems like you're talking a LOT and you can easily sum up your whole day with five minutes of talking so unless something huge happens, you probably don't have a lot to talk about haha.

Maybe just get off the phone and relax and call back in an hour or so.

• 2 weeks later...
Why Is My Phone Soo Slow?
Why Is My Phone Soo Slow?

Archived