Losing your companion!

Pappers

So... we broke up. I am pretty sad but perhaps it was expected. My bf and I had a lot going for us, but also a lot going against us. Then I heard that arab men rarely marry their foreign girlfriends (that would be me) - and so I shouldn't be surprised that he didn't want to get serious. I was optimistic though and thought we could make it work.

Breakups are horrible!!! So far it's been 5 days and I think I'm doing pretty well. He is away this week visiting his family, so him out of the city is doing us both well.

What I miss, and know that I'm really going to miss especially when he gets back is losing that person you do everything with! When I met him I had just moved back home and knew no one..... I have very few friends here and so all my friends are associated with him, and he was the one I would do everything with.

I feel like he still has all his friends and a great support network to help him get through the break up, and that I'm left all on my own.

So, feeling pretty lonely right now. And really sad that it didn't work.

i think there are a lot of us here that are in exactly the same boat. i know it sucks. i've tried to look at this time in my life as an opportunity to REALLY be on my own. i think a lot of people miss that opportunity. i truly believe that it's an invaluable life experience. there are few situations in this world as difficult as finding peace within yourself when you are alone (i'm not sure it's really attainable any other way). you'll find a way through this and never look back.

I'm in the same boat right now. I use to do everything with ex and all of my friends were his too. Now, that we're finished, I've been trying my best to make friends with other people. It's not that hard, but it takes time. It'll feel wrong for a while, because you won't have him as your safety net, but eventually the feeling will pass and you'll have fun again.

im sorry for your pain. just try holding it together until he gets back and if you guys ended on good cordial terms, maybe you can talk to him about some things and the mutual friends you have. Im sure some of the people you met through him have formed a closer bond with you. it happens and is ok.

Did you guys end on good terms?

Did you guys end on good terms?

I guess so... it was a weird break up where it was as if he was asking me to break up with him. An avoidance tactic perhaps?

Anyway he said that he didn't want to waste my time if we weren't going to get married; and that it wasn't me he didn't want to marry it was anyone. Fair enough.

Plus he's moving back to the middle east sooner or later; I said that if we loved each other, were a partnership, and wanted to make it work then this would be ok. But seems like he wasn't as committed to me, as I was to him.

At the same time of this talk he said that he wanted to stay the same.... studying together, spending time with each other, meeting his parents, etc. This was confusing and I wasn't sure if we were breaking up.

In fact it didnt' even sink in until the next day! When I remembered his "I don't want to get married" statement I realized that was the end of it.

He texted me 2 days ago saying hi, but I didn't respond. Haven't heard from him since.

I will need to get in touch eventually because I have a few things to pick up from his house. Plus I don't really feel like we had a 'final' talk. When I switched my status on facebook to 'single' he was surprised.

Archived