rainbow-1987
Picture of a Surgeon Holding Hands ...
Picture of a Surgeon Holding Hands With a 21-week Old Fetus-Truth! & Disputed!

Hey, I just wanted some advice please from anyone who has had an abortion before or knows what happens...

I'm about 11 weeks pregnant and want an abortion.

I want an abortion because I’m so young, only 22 and my partner is only 25, we have been together for 4 years and love each other a lot but I guess we are selfish and want a life before children. His family and my family would hate me if I went through with this pregnancy. I have just finished university and so do not currently have a job, well I only work in a nursery and do voluntary work in a school so do not have much money. My partner also does not have a lot of money coming in and struggles to pay the mortgage as it is.

I went to my family planning clinic on April 27th and they said I needed a scan to see how far gone I am. I have now been waiting for this scan for about a month now, I have called the family planning clinic up but they told me they can’t help and should call the hospital where I’m having the scan. So I have called them up twice and they said I will just have to wait.

Should I really be made to wait this long?? I'm also wondering how long I will have to wait for the abortion once I have had the scan..2 weeks..3, 4???

Also regarding the abortion pill, there is a pill that can be taken after 9 weeks isn’t there?? Do you think I will be given that or will I have a choice or having the surgical abortion?

Also when I have the scan will I be allowed to keep a scan picture? Or will the hospital not let me?

I think its only avaliable up to nine weeks, after that I believe its the suction method.

It sounds to me, that if you want to keep the scan picture, you might want to keep this baby too? At 11 weeks it is quite a well developed little person.

And no you shouldnt be made to wait so long. It'll just make it harder.

BUT you have to think of you, your future, what you want.

Edit: I notice your from the UK, the usual waiting time for an abortion is about two weeks.

Edit 2: Also I dont mean it to seem like Im telling you what to do. Its your decision and your life and by no means would I want to direct you to do something that would make you miserable.

I wish you the best in this tought time.

Hey. I'm 21, and I recently had an abortion in march. if you're 11 weeks, the pill won't work - you will have to have a surgical abortion. You don't need a scan to see how far you are - all you need is a blood test which you can get at your family doctor or walk in clinic, and you need to know the date of your last period before conception. You shouldn't have to go to a hospital at all or wait this long. Once you have results you can just call the abortion clinic.

I live in Canada so I'm not sure about how things are different in the UK, but that's how it went for me and I did not have to wait long. I hope that was helpful.. I know these things are hard to go through, and I give you all my support.

good luck

dogwood

btw blueafterglow.. you should really not be telling someone what they should do in this situation. it's entirely personal and a hard decision to make; respect people's decisions.

I agree. Im just stating my opinion. I even said its her choice and I respect what choice she makes.

I dont know what I'd do in the same situation.

I was merely commenting on that if she wanted to keep the picture of the baby, then maybe she wanted the baby. Im sorry if it offended.

Thanks blueafterglow08, ummmm I do feel really bad about having this abortion but I think were just not ready for a baby yet (but tbh who really is).

I just really want to keep the picture as a memory.

Yeah I know at 11 weeks the foetus will look like a little person, I keep on going on websites which tell you what your baby looks like now. I saw my friends scan picture the other day as well which she had done at 11 weeks.

I'm just wondering if I should go to the hospital to say I feel need this scan done quickly and can’t wait any longer.

I understand.

I think maybe you should go, and explain waiting as long as you have been is causing you psychological harm. at 11 weeks they should be putting you high on the priority list. It seems ridiculous to make you wait so long!

Is there anyone you could call? Or is their a possibility of going private. thought its SO expensive.

And I also understand keeping the memory. It must be such a hard choice to make

Thanks dogwood!! I'm not 100% sure when my last period was thats why I need the scan. I know for 100% I havent have a period during April or May.

Oh you didnt offend me blueafterglow.

I'm sure you can have a late medical abortion, I will have a look now.

So once I have had the scan do I book up at the abortion clinic or does my GP do that for me?

I hate it that no one has told me whats going to happen, all they said was it wait for a call from the hospital and that was a month ago now. Grrrrrr

That's really disgusting, their supposed to explain everything to you.

I know you have to have two doctors agree...have they done that for you? And then they see how far along you are and I presume your GP books the abortion appointment for you.

Is there anyway you could see a different doctor and explain you've been left in the dark.

link removed

Thats the official NHS website explaining it.

I can't help but think whether the hospital is against abortion and they are making you wait on purpose. There isn't much time left if you are sure you want an abortion. After a certain number of weeks it is no longer legal to have an abortion. Do you have any other options besides that hospital? I don't think it is normal to wait that long in most countries.

Yeah I think the NHS want you to have a late medical abortion as it’s cheaper for them, surgical abortions are much more expensive.

So if I have the scan next week and then have to wait 2 weeks for the abortion then I will be 14 weeks pregnant and will see they baby come out wont I.

I can't help but think whether the hospital is against abortion and they are making you wait on purpose. There isn't much time left if you are sure you want an abortion. After a certain number of weeks it is no longer legal to have an abortion. Do you have any other options besides that hospital? I don't think it is normal to wait that long in most countries.

In the Uk only other option is to go private. I agree they are making you wait too long and maybe you should see a different doctor.

Yeah I think the NHS want you to have a late medical abortion as it’s cheaper for them, surgical abortions are much more expensive.

So if I have the scan next week and then have to wait 2 weeks for the abortion then I will be 14 weeks pregnant and will see they baby come out wont I.

How do you mean see it come out?

They shouldnt make you wait so long. I think this is medical misconduct.

As far as I'm aware, you just go straight to your GP.

You shouldn't be waiting a month. If you let them drag there feet, its going to be too late to have one.

Or it'll be very painful.

It's too late for you to have the pill now. Someone else said it'd have to be surgical.

Seriously book an ermergancy appointment tomorrow at your GPs if you can.

Hey rainbow,

I had an abortion about two years ago. I was about 14 weeks into the pregnancy. I found out 8 weeks into it, got the scan at about 12 weeks (they did let me see the scan on the monitor, but I didn't ask to keep the picture, so I'm not sure), and had the abortion at 14 weeks.

The clinic I went to offered the pill up to 12 weeks, but I wouldn't recommend that. The positive aspect of the pill is that nobody really needs to know about it; however, there are more negatives in my opinion. The pill needs to be taken over a period of several days. They said it causes cramps and possibly nausea. There is also a chance that it could partially terminate your pregnancy & cause complications. Also, there are no doctors there monitoring your health. You're basically on your own until you're done with the pills & go in for your final check-up.

As for the surgical method, you have an option of choosing general anesthesia, or local anesthesia. General knocks you out, local only numbs your cervical/vaginal region so you don't feel what's going on down there, however you're fully aware of everything going on around you. I chose general because I didn't want to have any recollection of the experience afterwards.

After the abortion, I had minor cramping for a few hours. They gave me some pills to take for about a week after, and they setup a follow-up appointment for 2 weeks after for a blood test to make sure my HCG levels (pregnancy hormone) had decreased, & that the abortion was successful.

I had minor bleeding for a week after, like I was on my period.

I made this decision for the same reason as you. My ex & I were not ready by any means to have a child. I made the stupid decision of having unprotected sex (while I was on my period, surprisingly), & had to deal with the consequences.

If you want to know how I've dealt with it emotionally, feel free to PM me. I don't wanna get into personal details on here.

Good luck with your decision, & remember...this is YOUR body, YOUR future, & at the end, it's YOUR decision. Don't let what others say affect you.

Take care.

As far as I'm aware, you just go straight to your GP.

You shouldn't be waiting a month. If you let them drag there feet, its going to be too late to have one.

Or it'll be very painful.

It's too late for you to have the pill now. Someone else said it'd have to be surgical.

Seriously book an ermergancy appointment tomorrow at your GPs if you can.

With all due respect, that's not true.

She's barely a month and a few weeks along. There's no reason why she should be rushing to make her decision.

It doesn't cause more pain if you're further along in your pregnancy. You still get the anesthesia & same effects afterward.

The only thing they say is that if you're really far along in your pregnancy (3 months+), it could cause more complications than say a 1-2 month pregnancy.

Will I see the baby come out when if I have the abortion pill? I will see it dead wont I.

The details are a bit too graphic to share on here, but I'm sure you can ask a doctor that question and they'll answer it for you.

All I can tell you to give you an idea without being too graphic is: You will see remnants of tissue, because the pill causes everything to "dissolve", in a sense. You will not "give birth" to a fetus.

Will I see the baby come out when if I have the abortion pill? I will see it dead wont I.

Im not sure. I think its just like a miscarriage. But I think you might be too late to have the pil. If you have it done the suction or surgical way then I dont believe you will see the baby.

You should definatley go to your gp and explain everything you've explained here.

Seriously it doesn't take a month. I dont understand why its taking them so long.

What did you mean by see it come out? the baby? according to my pregnancy book at 14 weeks.. it'll measure 6-7cm. And people are very very good, and sensitive that do abortions.

Plus you have the option to be put to sleep during it.

With all due respect, that's not true.

She's barely a month and a few weeks along. There's no reason why she should be rushing to make her decision.

It doesn't cause more pain if you're further along in your pregnancy. You still get the anesthesia & same effects afterward.

The only thing they say is that if you're really far along in your pregnancy (3 months+), it could cause more complications than say a 1-2 month pregnancy.

In the UK they don't take a month to get two doctors to agree to an abortion. Thats why I said she shouldn't be waiting a month. I know a few people who've had from going to the doctors to getting an abortion in a month.

NHS prefer to do all abortions before 12 weeks. But do them up to 24 obviously

and the NHS only do the pill until 9 weeks.

link removed

NHS site states this.

Also the reason I said it'd be more painful later on if they don't do it. Is because in the UK which also states on the NHS site that they do a type of abortion, which is like Labour. Only they have to let the baby die before its removed.

This is at 20-24 weeks. Ever given birth to a baby during this time? I have, it's painful.

In the UK they don't take a month to get two doctors to agree to an abortion. Thats why I said she shouldn't be waiting a month. I know a few people who've had from going to the doctors to getting an abortion in a month.

NHS prefer to do all abortions before 12 weeks. But do them up to 24 obviously

and the NHS only do the pill until 9 weeks.

link removed

NHS site states this.

Also the reason I said it'd be more painful later on if they don't do it. Is because in the UK which also states on the NHS site that they do a type of abortion, which is like Labour. Only they have to let the baby die before its removed.

This is at 20-24 weeks. Ever given birth to a baby during this time? I have, it's painful.

My apologies. I didn't notice that the OP lives in the UK.

Easy mistake to make.

I've never had an abortion, so all I know is what I've read or been told. It would be a lot better if the UK were a lot more like USA and did the pill until 12 weeks. And I've never had anything good to say about the NHS. Really hope things move along quickly. =(

Archived