What lawyer can i use to sue high school?

paranoiac543
Westwood College Lawsuits and Stude...
Westwood College Lawsuits and Student Loan Scams 2022

*waves* It's a really long story about what happened. Long story short: People running the high school are a bunch of greedy idiots who are holding my diploma hostage for a ton of money which i do NOT owe at all. They have caused me so many problems. So..what lawyer do i use? Can i just call up a random laywer and ask them to sue my high school? I mean, blah.. i don't know who to look for >_

People running the high school are a bunch of greedy idiots who are holding my diploma hostage for a ton of money

Have they given you a reason WHY? As far as I'm aware, there has to be a good reason to do that, and if there is no reason at all, then it's illegal. No doubt they know this, so it would be interesting to hear why they are doing this.

Can you share more details, please?

I'm not sure how much money you owe, but lawyers typically range in the neighborhood of $250 per HOUR and up.

Many won't even take a case unless you give them a $5,000 - $10,000 retainer.

You can represent yourself in Small Claims court, but there are limits for how much money they'll address, but you can go to your county courthouse and find out the limits of the lawsuits for small claims court.

But if the amount in the hundreds or even a few thousand, it might be cheaper for you to just pay it.

Hmmm I guess you guys are right about laywers being expensive..i haven't thought of that..

well, here's my story: they say i owe 6,000. i have no idea how they even got to that amount. i've ALWAYS had to pay $250 a month for tuition. i pay with check so i have all the receipts. actually, sometimes they don't want to give me a receipt because they ''ran out'' or something. they say i owe from all 4 years of high school, which is totally not true. honestly, i only owe them 1000 for the last 4 months of my senior year. every year in september, my parents sign a contract saying how much i need to pay every month for tuition. and also, you can't register for the next year unless you paid everything from the previous year. well they said that for my senior year i needed to pay 300 a month and not 250. my contract says 250! and i've been paying 250 every freaking month and no one has ever said anything. no one ever said i owed money until after i graduated. yes, i was at the graduation. at the graduation when you go up to the stage, they don't give you a diploma. they give you INSTRUCTIONS on how to get your diploma. it said you can come get your diploma if you don't owe any books or any money. i don't owe any books. i only owe 1000. i'm very willing to give them the 1000 i actually owe, but they WON'T accept it. they want the whole 6,000. and IN CASH. I seriously have no idea where they got 6000 from. they said ''building fund, insurance, graduation fee''. yes, they charge a graduation fee of 350. why? i have no idea. the graduation takes place in the school and doesn't cost anything. all the food (just little cakes and candy stuff) was donated by bakeries. i so paid all that building fund and insurance crap. you pay that before the school year starts in september. so yeah.. yeah i think it would just be better to get the news people to go there

PS. they don't care that i have receipts. seriously, they were like ''that's not possible''

We tried to pay them the money we actually owe but they won't accept it. they want everything. Oooh trust me my parents have tried very hard, and so have i. I'm waiting for my GED diploma in the mail. When it comes, i'll call the news people

2 years of my life, totally wasted

Be very careful. If they can come with some papers, forged or not, that make their accusations seem true, they can sue you for libel if you go to the papers. DO NOT DO THAT! It is waaay to easy to get yourself in trouble. Try going through mediation. A lawyer can set up a mediation session fairly cheaply, and your issues stay private. Make this public, and many colleges will not accept you. Be smart.

WOW, This is a tough one. I did some research and each jewish school has their own grant base and also their own financial assistance programs, so there is no one to complain to outside of your school. $30,000 for 4 years for high school, YOWSA!!! You can go to a bank and get a loan to pay off the bill. Many Jewish high school students are opting to G.E.D. out after the 3rd year to avoid the cost of the 4th year. Your family may not approve of this though. You mentioned $250.00 a month tuition payment for your school ($3,000 a year). That adds up to $12,000.00 for 4 years.

In the research that I did the lowest cost for 4 years (in a jewish high school) was $22,600.00 (or $5650.00 a year) with the high end being $30,000.00 (or $7500.00 a year).

So something is wrong here, your numbers are off (low). Maybe you had signed up for a financial aid plan (or a grant) that has run out. Best of luck.

Quote from a Los Angeles Jewish magazine: " “Jewish high school is very costly,” said Bacharach, a kindergarten teacher at Pressman. “Even before the economic crisis, $30,000 would have been difficult. That’s more than some colleges. We couldn’t justify paying that much for high school.”

Many day school families have already ruled out private school as an option for next fall out of fear for the future, Prum Hess said. Even upper-income families are looking at the cost of Jewish high school — where the average tuition hovers at $26,000 — and deciding to proactively tighten their belts."

Nope, no financial aid plan. You discuss tuition with the person that handles all the money stuff and then sign a contract saying this is what you'll pay every month. Yeah most jewish schools are really expensive but there are some that have good prices. I would have much rather gone to public school for free and not spend half the day learning about torah. My school didn't even wanna sign the GED application so I had to take GED classes at a community college, because that was the only option I had.

The principal honestly said ''i can't help you with this because it's a money issue and i don't deal with that''

it's his issue if the school has a decreased percentage graduation rate because of bad bookkeeping!

i would gather all the receipts you have and contact a lawyer.

it's his issue if the school has a decreased percentage graduation rate because of bad bookkeeping!

i would gather all the receipts you have and contact a lawyer.

My research bore out the fact that there isn't a Jewish High school in this country (the USA) that has a 4 year tuition that even comes close to the low sum of $12,000 ( $3000 a year ). There is something the OP has either missed or intentionally left out in the posts about this situation. Thats OK, it's the OP's business, It just binds us all who are trying to offer the correct assistance.

I would talk to the the individuals whom the principle referred too, the people that handle the tuitions for your school. Maybe it's time you get your Rabbi invoved. A phone call from him could do wonders to help this situation.

PEACE OUT....

Archived