How long can you leave a cat alone?

jengh

Houseplant Care When Traveling | Ho...
Houseplant Care When Traveling | How To Leave Your Plants At Home

My friend just asked me to go to North Carolina with her next week and I said yes, as I've never really been and I miss her parents (we used to live together and her parents would visit often)...

The only issue is Cairo. How long can I leave her alone? I'll be gone 5 days or so... I'm planning on leaving several large bowls of food and water (she tends to be stupid and play in her water), as well as a couple of litter boxes.

Should I have someone come in and check on her a couple of times? I've never left her alone for longer than one night before...

Thanks!

yes, for sure, you should have someone check in on her. definitely to scoop the poop every day. i would pay a friend to come over, play with your cat, give her fresh water, and scoop poop. you can try a petsitter too.

If I were there, I'd take care of her!

Generally they shouldn't be left alone for more than 2 days at a time. They may get separation anxiety and feel abandoned and therefore act out. Or they may get nervous and bored and eat nonstop, running out of food even if you think you left out enough.

Can you get a friend to come in about twice to come see her?

I'm going to see if my friend's husband (the friend I'm going to NC with) will watch her. I mean, at one point we all lived together (with Cairo) so it shouldn't be that big of a deal especially since she knows the "territory".

I definitely won't leave her alone for the full 5 days. I would feel like the worst cat mother alive.

YES! You need a cat sitter. Cats have a tendency to poop everywhere if the litter box is not cleaned every day, unless you leave behind six or seven equally spaced boxes. Now the food issue is fine but the water needs to be changed since it gets stale after a day or so.

Alright, time to start recruiting the friends. I can't afford to pay a cat sitter (I'm saving up to move in July) but maybe I can barter with friends (home cooked meal or babysit their kids or something)....

It's just such short notice! Gah!

Dude where in NC? You know that's not too far from Atlanta!

Are you driving or flying?

We're driving...ummm... for the life of me, I can't think of the town.. let me look it up.

Why can't you take Cairo with you?

14 hours in a car with Cairo=not fun

it's not ideal...but i've left two cats on their own for up to five days. i don't imagine they were overally happy about it...but they survived...and so did my place. i'd definitely suggest having someone check in on them at least once...if that's possible.

Agreed. You should also get 1 or 2 self-feeding water bottles and food bowls. They're basically a reservoir that keeps feeding food or water when the dish becomes empty. Get a couple of each for peace of mind (should a water feeder get knocked over and spill, etc)

Still, even if there is plenty of food and water there is no real replacement for company. Having someone that can come over once in a while, if not every day would be a great idea.

Agreed. You should also get 1 or 2 self-feeding water bottles and food bowls. They're basically a reservoir that keeps feeding food or water when the dish becomes empty. Get a couple of each for peace of mind (should a water feeder get knocked over and spill, etc)

Still, even if there is plenty of food and water there is no real replacement for company. Having someone that can come over once in a while, if not every day would be a great idea.

Yeah, Cairo's pretty self-sufficient but VERY needy..that's the thing I'd worry about. She's not one to act out and pee or something, but I can't stand the thought of her being cooped up in here all alone for 5 days. It would break my heart.

I've left my cat for 4 days on her own. BUT, it was with a circulating water fountain that held a large supply of water (and I still left out another bowl of standing water as a back-up in case something went wrong) and another reservoir of dry food to keep her fed. I set up an additional litter box to one she had just in case as well (I bought one of those great disposal litter pans that came lined with litter and cost about $4).

I only did this when my roommate (at the time) and I were going to be out of town at the same time and my only available friend was allergic to my cat. Charlie (my cat) survived just fine. No accidents or surprises outside the litter box, ate fine, etc. Not ideal, but if needed a cat can be fine. If you can't find someone to come everyday, perhaps you can find a friend to come and check out your cat once while you're gone? Check the food, litter, give a little pet on day 3?

Are you upset at her for leaving her kitty? Cairo is going to be in capable hands.

I know the kitty is in good hands. I'm just poking a bit of fun at the situation; so, join in on the guilt trip. I'm sure she's mature enough to handle a little joking.

Archived