Whyyyyyyyyy

Circe

Am I being completely stupid?

I just feel that there should be more to my professional life than what there is. I want to do something that I'm passionate about and which I'm good at. I'm good at the freakin law but I freakin HATE it.

Ok I don't hate it but I'm as indifferent about it as I can get. I NEVER read legal stuff outside of work. I don't write legal journal articles like other really keen people do. I have a "no shop talk" ban on the subject at home because it BORES ME SENSELESS. Everything about the freakin profession is either BORING or really pretentious, wanky and STUPID.

Why am I here?? How could I have been so DUMB to actually let myself grow up thinking I had be either a freakin doctor or a freakin lawyer? WHYYYYYY did I get myself sucked in to this STUPID world of MONEY AND EGO.

Thats all it is. $$$ and ego.

And everything else is just background for money and ego.

Now I'm 27 and a part of me just wants to go back to uni and do something else. But i feel like I'm too old. I don't want to be just another one of those people who have pre-midlife crisis and can't just stick to their job. Who can't just accept that life isnt perfect. Sometimes you have to put up with CRAPPO BORING JOBS.

If there was something I was actually passionate about doing it might be different. But there's not even anything.

There are two things I love.

1) Chocolate

2) Talking to people about the problems in their life (hence my addiction to here).

Well I'm fairly sure noone's going to pay me love either of those things.

And then there's just the STUPID worrying about what other people will think.

WHY do I care what other people will think? Why do I not want OTHER people to think I'm a failure. Why do I feel like such a failure.

](*,)

Well if it helps in aanyway im in the same boat as you.

I to love chocolate and i also for some reason like helping out strangers i think it gives me a great feeling that i could have helped someone or listen to something that they want to get off there back i know im the same i always like it when someone can listen to me.

As for your lawyers schooling did you go into it cause of just the money or cause of your family background whether it be something that runs in the family or something that your parents wants from you ?

My mom would like me to become an accountant since they make around $100 an hour however i probably could never do it since i cant stand math and i've always been bad with numbers. I've been out of high school for about 3yrs now and still havent figured what i wanna do i know that i should find something that will make me happy and not make my wallet fat however if i can do both its great.

My best advice would be for you to look into something that you like and give it a try your only 27 thats still pretty young. Wish you the best and if you wanna talk well thats what we are all here for. Goodluck.

I'm graduating soon, and I can foresee my future turning out to be similar to yours. In fact, I'm in the field of accounting and I never liked it in the start. I was just good in it, and hence, why I studied it. The more I studied the subject, the more I despised it. Personally and honestly, I feel accounting is full of cr@p. My family tells me I made a go choice in picking accounting as a major as there are jobs and $ and its good for career, but I have a terrible feeling that I will hate it even more when I come out to work. I'm hoping not to go into an accounting job.

I totally understand how you feel about thinking about what other people will be thinking. I mean I don't want to get into a life that I hate and only receive $$$ to compensate the cr@ppy lifestyle I've got to put up with. But on the other hand, I'm worried that I may not be able to make ends meet and there is some expectations from my family members, since from where I come from, it seems success and failure is determined by wealth and status - values I disagree with.

P.S. HEMI_dude. People always have a misconception about accounting. The maths is very basic. Its more like ratios, fractions, multiplications, additions, subtractions. Nothing serious like scientific maths. But I do agree, you made the right choice in not picking accounting.

P.S. HEMI_dude. People always have a misconception about accounting. The maths is very basic. Its more like ratios, fractions, multiplications, additions, subtractions. Nothing serious like scientific maths. But I do agree, you made the right choice in not picking accounting.

Over all for me math in general i really cant stand and was never good at along with anything that has to do with numbers, however things could always change maybe i'll like math but not for now.

As for your lawyers schooling did you go into it cause of just the money or cause of your family background whether it be something that runs in the family or something that your parents wants from you ?

Sigh.. sorry guys. I just lost the plot yesterday. Something disappointing happened and on top of everything else - just got too much and I wanted to scream.

I got into law because I thought it was a noble profession

I thought it was the modern version of being someone's Knight in shining armour.. but in the courts of law rather than out on a literal battle field.

You know? Helping people defend themselves. Something like that.

God I'm an idiot.

Some of it is actually like that but most of it just $$$ and ego.

For every 1% of the time I feel I'm doing something meaningful, 99% of the time I feel like its all BS.

But I do think that even when I was little, I had a very narrow range of what I thought it would be "acceptable" for me to do (based on parental expectations).

I really wish I'd branched out from that.

If I'm ever blessed to have kids I'm going to make sure they understand the true pros and cons of jobs like this and that they really think broadly and widely about what they want to spend their lives doing.

That said I still can't think of something I'd rather do. Which makes me really wonder whats going on.

You like chocolate and people. Did you ever see that movie Chocolat with Juilette Binoche? Open up your very own chocolate shop. Perhaps a vagabond Johnny Depp will swagger his way in with a beaten acoustic and crop out a few humble and invigorating tunes. Passion and desire is only a leap of courage away.

Archived