If you have split up....

Varies from person to person, relationship to relationship. I'm still in pain every now and then (almost 5 months broken up after a 15-month relationship), though it's often because people just won't let me forget about the ex and move on. People STILL bring her up.

It seems like forever, but now that I'm free I can say that over the last five years I have healed from:

Physical injuries, many and varied.

Health issues, a few some moderately serious.

Death of a parent.

Loss of two marriages (to the same man).

Loss of several friends.

Loss of the one man who may be the only man I ever love completely.

Loss of my cat.

Fairly substantially financial losses.

Job losses.

Losing my religion.

Having my best friend move away.

And today I can say that I am happy and excited about life! (I owe most of this to the 8 months I've been on ena.)

it has varied depending on who i was dating. One guy i was dating for a month and i healed after 2 weeks. My previous ex was three years and due to the circumstances of why we broke up, it took prolly a month and half....but he wasn't a very nice person so it was easier to walk away in the end.

Most people i know start to feel better around the 3-4 month mark...but i'm sure this number is not the same for everyone...

Varies from person to person, relationship to relationship. I'm still in pain every now and then (almost 5 months broken up after a 15-month relationship), though it's often because people just won't let me forget about the ex and move on. People STILL bring her up.

Hey Seymore! I remember ya! People are still bringing up your ex I see. They seem extremely immature in my eyes! Perhaps distance yourself from them? (PS- My mutual friends pretty much quit bringing him up, I'm so happy!)

OP, it depends on the people involved, the relationship, and even the break up. If it was a very intense, abusive, dramatic relationship, it may take you a wee bit longer to heal since it was very painful. If people break up in bad terms, the rule applies, but again it depends on the person.

The only way to get over your ex is to let go of them- physically and mentally. Forget them. Go NC. Let go of the thoughts of getting back together, or "what ifs". These will hurt your healing processes.

Good luck!

Hey Seymore! I remember ya! People are still bringing up your ex I see. They seem extremely immature in my eyes! Perhaps distance yourself from them? (PS- My mutual friends pretty much quit bringing him up, I'm so happy!)

Well, I wouldn't consider my grandma immature...she called asking if I could get her a copy of the book me and my ex made together. I told her that I'd rather forget about that book, and that my ex controlled the book orders anyway. She was persistent, so I had to dig through the files on my computer and create it myself for her. It was like digging up the past all over again.

I'm glad you're doing better! I'm very happy for you!

yes they do... they keep reminding me of how great we are toghter!!

well if we are so great... why did she leave!!!

totally depends on life circumstances. where you're at in your own life. the strength of the bond seems important too. i think it really comes down to how happy you are with ''you'' when the break happens. if you've got excesses of emotional baggage to deal with...then it's probably pretty unpredictable.

Archived