How do you react/respond to manipulation?

waveseer
20 Manipulation Quotes
20 Manipulation Quotes

It could be something as simple as a friend saying she's fat just to get you to say she's not. It could be your child giving you their best pout hoping for a yes answer to their request. It could be your so picking a fight with you in order to suck your energy or make themselves feel alive by being angry. It could be someone being dramatic to elicit your sympathy. Or it could be someone who only responds to you when you are communicating on their preferred wavelength or on only "safe" topics.

I find it extremely difficult to do what they want. The rebellion to this is so strong in me that I even find it difficult to do what they want when it is what I originally wanted as well.

Is there a right way to handle these situations because I really don't know any other way.

It depends on the form of manipulation. A friend who said "I'm fat" knowing full well she's not (ie not even seeking reassurance - someone who knows she's not) - I'd just give her a very small ambiguous smile which could mean anything. A response for the sake of a response.

Someone who was manipulating me in a way that annoyed me? I'd tell them that I thought their behaviour was manipulative and why.

It really depends, I'd react differently each time but on very rare occasions would I react in a positive way and give them what they want. The reason for that is fundamentally I want to be treated with respect and honesty. And if you want something from me, do me the courtesy of treating me that way rather than trying to manipulate me!

For me, i would call them at their game.

*if you says she is fat, you say yes she is fat... very fat.. Then she says that you are mean, you say you are not mean because that is what she wanted to hear.

If they are hoping you would pick the fight, don't pick the fight... just walk away & ignore them. In time to come, they come back to you & ask you what is wrong & why you don't want to be with them anymore, you say that you are not reacting to what they want & it made you confused. Because you didn't react how the way they wanted, you decided that you should stay away... If it happens again, stay away again... do it until they realise it is not getting anywhere.

Get it? Just call them at their game ;-)

It works for me... after a while, people will realise that you are not their puppet. ;-)

I often respond with silence, or sometimes I abruptly change the subject. Not too smooth. lol

I think it depends on the situation and how many times they have played the manipulation card. One "friend" was putting a damper on a day trip that a bunch of us were on and a finally told her to stop with the pity party. For some people who like to get a rise out of someone you learn by experience not to rise to their bait and just ignore them and change the subject.

Archived