Having tubes tied

yellowcal

How can you be certain that it's the 'right' time to have your tubes tied?

I have a 4 year old son as well as being pregnant with twins. 3 kids seem like a lot but I fear I may want more children later on and having my tubes tied is just too 'permanent' for me. But at the same time, hormonal birth control isn't really an option for me after I give birth and condoms are a big no as well.

For those who have had a tubal.. how did you know you were doing the right thing? Did you have any regret after?

btw i'm only 17.5 weeks pregnant so I still have a little while to think about it but just want some insight as this is something my fiance and I have been talking about lately.

We waited until our youngest was six months old and we knew she was healthy. By then I had long since healed from my c-section so it was his turn.

Yea if that was the case he'd definitely be getting snipped but if we decide to do it now, it will all be done during my csection.

My sister got her U/S done the other day at 12 weeks an dthey said she should know what she's having in about 5 weeks. That's why I asked!

Yea sometimes they can tell as early as 15 weeks but most aren't 100% certain or won't tell you for certain until around 18-21 weeks. I'm trying to schedule the ultrasound the soonest I possibly can. Have tried telling people we weren't finding out but thats huge lie LOL

I haven't been in a position to make that decision, but my advice is to wait until you are sure. There must be some method of birth control that you can make work for you, so that you don't have to choose between sex with tubes tied, and no sex!

I think I read in another post of yours that you are 21 or 22, still very young to have this procedure done, especially since you aren't sure.

Those I know who have done it were CERTAIN. I don't think this is a time to be 99% sure.

Yea but I will have 3 kids!! anymore than that is alot for anyone, much less someone my age LOL

If you're sure that's all you want, then yes it's plenty! But if you're not, wait. I think it would be very hard to want another child and not be able to conceive.

I had my baby 10 weeks ago and I had my tubes tied. Acutally, my OB, tied them off and then cut out a 2 inch section from each tube. Even though I only have one child, he is all I really want. BUT, I am 35 years old. I looked at it like this: if I have another by the time I am 40, I will be up to 5 years older and the pregnancy will probably be worse than the hell I went through with the last one. I dont want to do that again. And there is no way that I could go through that again with a toddler. So, for me, personally, this was the right decision. I'm not sure if I would feel the same if I were in my 20's. So, you have to weigh the pros with the cons.

I'll be honest. I'm glad I made the decision to have it done during my c-section. Because now that I'm mostly healed, I wouldnt mind having another one. I never thought I'd say that. But realistically that is just the mommy in me talking. Financially and personally I am perfectly happy with my son and I dont want anymore. So, if I had waited until after having my baby to have my tubes tied, I probably wouldnt have done it. I would have talked myself out of it. Dont get me wrong, I dont regret it at all. I can concentrate on my beautiful boy, attack his daddy whenever I feel like it and not have to worry aboput pregnancy scares! lol

Archived