How often do you catch up with your ex?

lucasky
Why Men Come Back - ALWAYS
Why Men Come Back - ALWAYS

So its been about ten months now since one of my ex's and I broke up. For a long time I was very hurt, and went NC. In fact, with the exception of him having texted me on by birthday to wish my happy birthday (to which I said thanks), we have not spoken in probably... 8 months? That is until recently!

I've been over my ex for a while now (to be honest, I'm completely wrapped up with another man now! lol) and I figured it was time to bury the resent I harbored towards him and I broke NC.

That was two days ago, through a text. That then lead to a volley of texts, and me e-mailing him to which he wrote one very lengthy reply full of questions about how I'm doing, and one short e-mail updating me on some music.

The ball is in my court to reply now, but I'm tentative to reply quickly. I don't want us to become buddies or anything, I just wanted to see what was up, and I suppose, I wanted to test myself to see if I was really healed. I am (for the most part! ) .

So my question to all of you is:

How often is it appropriate to contact an ex? Should I just reply when I have something to say? I don't want us to lose touch, but I don't want us to talk a lot either - I just want him to be one of those friends you talk to now and then, ya know?

I hope this post makes sense - I probably shouldn't over analyze things too much, but I suppose I am trying to strike a balance between maintaining a friendship, but not having become anything deeper.

I think if you have been in a long relationship you will always talk to each other weather you contact him or not. I think that even if he sees you out he will stop and have a quick chat. But if you don't want to be real close friends I think a random coffee catch up would be fine like once every 2-3 months. You don't need to talk every week to still have friends you can message out of the blue for coffee.

How often is it appropriate to contact an ex?

In my opinion: never ;-). They're gone for a reason and I don't want them in my life anymore. Good luck to them!

If you were my girlfriend we would get in trouble about this "contacting ex" business. I think it's disrepectful to your current man.

I don't have any contact with any of my exes, except the first and last ones. The last one usually sends a very short email to wish me a happy bd, to which I reply with one or two sentences. I then will do the same on his bd which is a month after mine. So, the frequency is twice a year. I plan to do this until he stops emailing me. This is the ex whom I was madly in love with (and I am still, but I am totally fine without him).

My cheating first ex, who is now married, contacts me like once every 2 or 3 years either by email or with a very short text on yahoo messenger, to which I have never replied.

I say if you really don't want to develop a friendship with them or have them create any difference in your life, why bother with the quasi contact in the first place. My last ex is still trying to forge something with me. I haven't responded to any of his attempts of communication in the past six months, and am happy to report so...he was a selfish jerk.

Archived