birth control pill question

Hi,

i just wanted to make sure on something.

Ive been taking the pills from a packet of bc, and as of saturday the sugar pills started and ive taken them. today period arrived - do i continue the rest of the sugar pills on THIS packet, or do i start a NEW packet and continue from there? it will still be sugar pills for the next 4-5 days and then active starts.

basically, soon as period arrives, do you start a new fresh packet?

on the bc i have its all prelabelled with days.

thanks.

ive only just started on bc.

you need to have a week in between the last pack and the new one. the placebo pills (normally a different color) are there as placeholders--take them only if you need help remembering to take a pill each day so you do'n't stray off course. but the week between packs is when you shoudl be having yor period.

Regardless of period or no period you take every pill in one pack then start the next right away.

Did your doctor not go over this with you when you got them?

okay that makes sense.

no my doctor didn't. she was terrible. i told her i wanted to go on them and she gave me a perscription and that was it. i went back, but still hopeless.

the packets are odd. ive taken 3 'sugar' pills from the current packet. theres 4 remaining. BUT according to the directions it says to start from the red section when it arrives, so i assumed i need to start on a new packet. i will still be taking sugar pills for the next 4 days... so its still a week of sugar pills.

them being prelabelled with days makes it confusing.

My packs come with stickers to change the dates that are pre-labeled.

LOL. ya, ive had doctors like that. My current one always tries to educate me on stuff I already know and have no current interest in. Like they are always like make sure you use a backup method for a week when you first start them. I am like, um ya ive been on them for 3 years, I think im good. LOL. And its the same doc with the same chart from all 3 years!

I started the pill recently too and the woman I spoke to said it was better to start the first pill you ever take on the first day of your period, and then after that when you have the week off you'll get your next period, and you don't start taking the next pack of pills until 7 days after you finished the old pack, whether your period has finished or not.

So I think once you've actually started the process, it doesn't really matter if your period lines exactly with starting a new pack or not.

if you start your pack day one of your period (first time) you are covered from day one. If you start any other time in your period you have to rely on a different method (condoms, spermicide, abstinence, etc.) for a week.

if you follow the packs taking one every day in sequence you are covered at all times, period or no period, active or inactive pills.

Ive had times where I take my last inactive pill and then finally start my period, and I have had ones where I start before I take my first inactive pill. It all depends on various factors within your body at the time. You just continue on with your pack as normal and you are covered.

Archived