I was watching TV last night and a commercial came on for Yaz birth control pills, which is also used to treat PMDD (premenstrual dysmorphic disorder). The symptoms they listed really hit home for me. link removed

I didn't really notice the connection, but my boyfriend mentioned recently that for the past few months, every time I mention my period is due to start soon, I'm overly emotional and we get into a tiff. Looking back on it, he's right.

Sometimes I feel like my emotions are out of control.. things that he does that are really minor, I'll immediately blow out of proportion and it will just send me into a rage or make me bawl. I'll yell at him, then afterwards I'll realize what I've done, and feel like an evil biatch and feel horribly, horribly guilty. I'll cry over things that normally wouldn't make me cry, just stupid stuff. And it does seem like this always happens either the week before or during my period.

It might be worth noting that I also suffer from an anxiety disorder, and mental issues run in my family. I honestly hope it's only PMDD and that I'm not just nuts.. I mean, I'm not like that all the time, just seems like it happens around my period.

Thoughts?

i hate that commercial. i think it's annoying.

anyways - i am also cranky around my period. i've just learned to look at the calendar, and then i know if i am actually angry, or just hormonal. that usually settles me down.

I think a lot of us get that way.

I notice a major change in my personality right before my period and everyone else notices it as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have PMDD, but there is something definitely going on.

Perhaps you should see your doctor and see if he thinks the same.

Heh, well, I'm kind of poor and really don't have a doctor. I was thinking about getting on birth control anyway.. will they just write you a 'script for Yaz if you mention you think you might suffer from PMDD or do you have to go through some kind of mental evaluation first?

I think I have the same thing. I told my Dr the symptoms and he immediately suggested PMDD and wants to prescribe birth control to correct it. The other option for that is antidepressants.

Yeah, I'd rather avoid drugs like anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds. My cousin was offering to send me sample packs of Lexapro for my anxiety but since I had no one to do "suicide watch" on me she wouldn't. That's one of the side effects.. causing non-suicidal people to suddenly become suicidal, ugh. No thanks, I'd rather be an anxious wreck than dead!

Yeah, I'd rather avoid drugs like anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds. My cousin was offering to send me sample packs of Lexapro for my anxiety but since I had no one to do "suicide watch" on me she wouldn't. That's one of the side effects.. causing non-suicidal people to suddenly become suicidal, ugh. No thanks, I'd rather be an anxious wreck than dead!

lol I know. I dont want to take medicine like that either. I would rather use something natural or herbal. Even BC, bc last time I took BC I was on my period for a month.

Archived