"French" kissing ups risk of oral HPV infection

diabolik

HIV-AIDS: relationship of one partn...
HIV-AIDS: relationship of one partner hiv positive and the other hiv negative
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPV is a mess! Oral sex and kissing with certain HPV strains leads to throat cancers and obviously some HPV leads to anal and cervical cancer.

OY.

They should have come out with that vaccine a long time ago.

Luckily it only happens with more rare strains, but sheesh! You can't have any fun.

Keep in mind, there's possibility, and then there's probability.

There are a billion things in this world that can be harmful and/or kill you, but what is the probability of that happening from french kissing?

If you sit down and read a medical book of every medical condition you could scare the bejesus out of yourself and never want to set foot outside the house and walk around the house in rubber gloves carrying a bottle of chlorox.

Life has risks, but it also has great rewards. And how many people do you actually know who have trouble with HPV warts in their mouth, let alone have died of throat cancer? Everyone i know who has had throat cancer was a very heavy smoker, and odds are good that smoking causes that, but miniscule that warts do.

Keep in mind, there's possibility, and then there's probability.

There are a billion things in this world that can be harmful and/or kill you, but what is the probability of that happening from french kissing?

If you sit down and read a medical book of every medical condition you could scare the bejesus out of yourself and never want to set foot outside the house and walk around the house in rubber gloves carrying a bottle of chlorox.

Life has risks, but it also has great rewards. And how many people do you actually know who have trouble with HPV warts in their mouth, let alone have died of throat cancer? Everyone i know who has had throat cancer was a very heavy smoker, and odds are good that smoking causes that, but miniscule that warts do.

Very good point. I heard that medical students often think they have illnesses they dont because of all the conditions they have to learn.

I guess with anything, you just have to be careful.

It's a lot more common than people realize, and that is what the hype is all about. Every woman should get the HPV vaccine at her Dr.'s consent. It limits your chances of the virus so much, especially the dangerous ones.

There is no point to be paranoid but at the same time, this is a serious health risk with a solution for those who don't already have it- vaccination.

Something like 80% of people have HPV in some form, as far as I know. This is because condoms do not prevent the transmission of HPV very well.

I don't remember anyone saying HPV is no big deal, hopefully not! The majority of strains clear up on their own. So all is well. But some other strains cause warts which are treatable. Still other strains cause cancer, which is the fear. I think 16% of HPV infections cause cancer. (But could still clear up)

My exact stats are a little wonky possibly, but the general numbers are there.

If you wrap yourself in cotton wool your whole life, you miss out on a lot of amazing things. Of course you should take note of risks, but I wouldn't let it stop me enjoying myself. I'd rather die from throat cancer while having lived a fulfilling life than die having been sheltered and afraid of everything.

It's a lot more common than people realize, and that is what the hype is all about. Every woman should get the HPV vaccine at her Dr.'s consent. It limits your chances of the virus so much, especially the dangerous ones.

There is no point to be paranoid but at the same time, this is a serious health risk with a solution for those who don't already have it- vaccination.

Something like 80% of people have HPV in some form, as far as I know.

I only got 2 of the 3 shots I was supposed to get. My mother freaked out and thought I was going to get some horrible disease from it, so I didn't get the last one. Ha! Does anyone know if you can get booster shots? It's been about a year since my last one.

If you wrap yourself in cotton wool your whole life, you miss out on a lot of amazing things. Of course you should take note of risks, but I wouldn't let it stop me enjoying myself. I'd rather die from throat cancer while having lived a fulfilling life than die having been sheltered and afraid of everything.

I think there is a difference between protecting yourself and being sheltered and afraid of everything.

People don't often say "I would rather die of AIDS than live in a bubble and wear condoms!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THAT!"

lol

We all take risks and life is a risk. We're going to die. No doubt. But we can and should do things to ease the risks a bit. Why not?

I only got 2 of the 3 shots I was supposed to get. My mother freaked out and thought I was going to get some horrible disease from it, so I didn't get the last one. Ha! Does anyone know if you can get booster shots? It's been about a year since my last one.

I don't know specifically about HPV, but for hep A, there's quite a large window of time to get the second shot which is supposed to provide lifelong immunity. I would guess that a year is not too long for your third HPV shot (i.e., I don't think they would require you to redo the entire course), but you better not dilly-dally, or it will be too late.

I think there is a difference between protecting yourself and being sheltered and afraid of everything.

People don't often say "I would rather die of AIDS than live in a bubble and wear condoms!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THAT!"

lol

We all take risks and life is a risk. We're going to die. No doubt. But we can and should do things to ease the risks a bit. Why not?

Of course. Take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. Don't lick your hand after you've touched a bus handrail, don't eat rancid food, don't sit next to people who are coughing and sneezing, get your vaccines, have safe sex.

BUT, there comes a point where it all starts to get a little ridiculous and paranoid. Should we lock people up in sterile rooms in order to prevent contamination? It would probably work, but I think it's going a little far.

There is no HPV vaccine for men. Is there one for women over, say, 25? Can they take the same one that girls take?

The HPV vaccine has actually been tested and is believed to be effective on men, but it's just not marketed to them. The gardasil company was trying to get governments to cover men too, but I believe that many refused because the risk is not worth the cost for them. I can't understand why because it is people giving it to each other, men included. Anyway, I know a few doctors and nurses who have gotten their sons vaccinated.

how long has this vaccine been on the market, proved, and tested?

keep in mind the FDA approves a ton of stuff that does very very bad things to your body.

this vaccine is a product like any other. like say hydroxycut and all that.

it may not work, it may hurt you, but by god for a long time they let it be sold in the US.

personally i'm very weary of this new 'vaccine' which only protects against 4 out of the hundreds of different strains of HPV. 'supposedly' that is.

for this reason i'm not going to take it.

the doctors wanted me to take the bc pill after i had one ruptured ovarian cyst. they said it would keep me from having them again.

its been about 8 months and i havent taken a single pill yet... and no cysts.

hm.

depo provera. terrible drug. should be banned. isnt.

its been on the market for a very long time as an effective form of bc.

The HPV vaccine has actually been tested and is believed to be effective on men, but it's just not marketed to them. The gardasil company was trying to get governments to cover men too, but I believe that many refused because the risk is not worth the cost for them. I can't understand why because it is people giving it to each other, men included. Anyway, I know a few doctors and nurses who have gotten their sons vaccinated.

this right here tells me something is wrong with gardasil..

this right here tells me something is wrong with gardasil..

What's that? When I say risk, I mean the risk of having HPV to the males. They don't get cancer at the rate that females do. It's not worth the cost of covering them because when they get HPV, it's not that bad. Does that make any sense?

Of course. Take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. Don't lick your hand after you've touched a bus handrail, don't eat rancid food, don't sit next to people who are coughing and sneezing, get your vaccines, have safe sex.

BUT, there comes a point where it all starts to get a little ridiculous and paranoid. Should we lock people up in sterile rooms in order to prevent contamination? It would probably work, but I think it's going a little far.

I never suggested that. I am not the safest person in the world- I have a lead foot like no one you've ever met. LOL

But I didn't get the chance to try the vaccine. I have been battling a slow progression of cervical cancer for 2 years.

It sucks.

I never suggested that. I am not the safest person in the world- I have a lead foot like no one you've ever met. LOL

But I didn't get the chance to try the vaccine. I have been battling a slow progression of cervical cancer for 2 years.

It sucks.

Oh no, I wasn't saying you were! Just responding to the whole idea of the thread. I just don't see the point in denying yourself a kiss because you're afraid of catching something, especially when it's not something that can be easily tested for. Although I have heard that dentists do oral pap tests now.

I had no idea you had cervical cancer. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I bet I come accross as incredibly insensitive now...#-o

Oh no, I wasn't saying you were! Just responding to the whole idea of the thread. I just don't see the point in denying yourself a kiss because you're afraid of catching something, especially when it's not something that can be easily tested for. Although I have heard that dentists do oral pap tests now.

I had no idea you had cervical cancer. I'm so sorry to hear about that. I bet I come accross as incredibly insensitive now...#-o

Oral paps?

People just tend to feel invincible. And maybe they should. I didn't worry about any of that. My mom got HPV related cervical cancer years after my father's infidelity.

I saw it with my own eyes but never thought it could be me. Worrying doesn't prevent illnesses, but knowledge can. I knew nothing about it.

I am still at a point where I just have cancer 'cells' and nothing is moving rapidly. Just a waiting game with a ton of mixed messages. fml.

What's that? When I say risk, I mean the risk of having HPV to the males. They don't get cancer at the rate that females do. It's not worth the cost of covering them because when they get HPV, it's not that bad. Does that make any sense?

no. it doesnt make any sense.

hpv is linked to some cervical cancer. and genital warts. men get warts just like women... how is that 'not as bad'

and let me guess. even with the vaccine you will still need to get a pap yearly.

question: is it verified that the number one cause of cervical cancer is that specific strain of HPV?

another question: what are the known long term effects of the vaccine and how did they deduce the failure/success rate of this drug?

if they can sell a drug that says to men 'hey i can prevent you from spreading hpv and getting genital warts' then why dont they? there is no reason to just vaccinate women and not men.

plus they'd get money off of it as well.

my guess is there is a specific medical reason for this.

i suppose since they cant accurately test men for HPV they cant get a success rate out of them. i'd say this is the case too.

oh yeah.. straight from the source here:

What is GARDASIL? GARDASIL is the only cervical cancer vaccine that helps protect against 4 types of human papillomavirus (HPV): 2 types that cause 70% of cervical cancer cases, and 2 more types that cause 90% of genital warts cases. The duration of protection of GARDASIL has not been established

link removed

are the other types harmless?

is it really worth it to pay that much money to have 70% protection from something? when the duration of protection is not even known?

Archived