Movies

Funereal
The 10 Sadest Movies of All Time
The 10 Sadest Movies of All Time

I remember seeing parts of this movie when I was just a kid. I always remembered back to the car scene and where she starts cutting her stomach.

Finally seeing the whole thing, it was a very good movie. I could relate to alot of it, especially with what triggered her to cut in the first place. I myself have always felt different than others (in a negative sense), and often times, have been messed with relentlesly as well.

I think the movie displayed SI on a whole quite acurately. It shows clearly how it is a tough habbit to stop. While watching it, I could really relate to the pain in her mind and the hopelessness that she was feeling. Also, when she's in the hospital being treated for her burns, the doctor asks "does that hurt?". When she responds "yes" he sarcastically claims "isn't it supposed to?". I've been treated that way before in the ER too.

Overall, the general basis of the movie worked very well. Self injury is a tough concept for others to understand. Most parents and peers in real life would probably react the same way.

I liked the way it portrayed her aloneness. her controlling mother. the pain in her eyes just before she cut. the rocking. The dissociation. they hyperstress. the relief in her eyes when that shrink starts talking and says her friend "doesn't understand how good it feels to be in control of your own pain." and she sees that she understands it. I liked the way it showed the significance of the blood. her desperation to be loved. the way the mother made everything about herself. the stabbing herself part outsides the shrinks office, in complete hyperstress. how real, the mounting feelings of panic are.

At the same time though, there is only a v brief mention of anorexia in this film, and it tries to isolate self-injury as a unique phenomena which is inaccurate i believe. it has such strong connections with eating disorders, anxiety, depression, ocd, and other psychiatric illnesses.

did you find it triggering hun?

Not too much. In fact, it helped me understand myself a little more seeing it from a 3rd person perspective. However, it did remind me of what triggers me to cut; hopelessness, lonliness and anxiey, the main three.

I too liked the way it showed the pain in her eyes just before the cutting began, and the relief in her facial expression when the deed was finally done. Very real.

Archived