Meeting new friends but feel like the least important

Daniel05

Just started work in a new office and I've joined 3 guys socially who are nice and I get on pretty well with them. The problem is is that the three all started working there at the same time and were there a good three months before I started. So they learned together and had inductions etc etc so formed a good friendship. I've got in with them in terms of lunch and we've been out to pubs a few times and the cinema but I do feel as if I'm the least important one. I try my best to join in, laugh at their jokes and start conversations etc but if there's a choice say for one of them they'll always converse with the others first and I'll be the last one. For instance in the cinema, I was on one end and my workmate sitting next to me turned the other way to ask if he'd enjoyed the film and then a little bit later asked me. I'm trying not to mull over it too much because it'll just make me insecure and that won't get me anywhere but it is a bit annoying.

from what you're saying it sounds like you don't really have anything to worry about. they like you enough to invite you out with them and they're gradually integrating you into their circle. sounds like they talk to each other more than you now (maybe they really do, or maybe it just seems that way to you. i've been in that position though and i know it gets to me too) because they already know each other more, but the fact that they ask for your opinions too shows that they're interested in getting to know you better. sounds like the first steps in starting a friendship with these guys. it takes time.

Archived