Tweeking your job title...

I am updating my resume and instead of Regional Admin Asst, I feel my position is more of a Asst. Regional Mgr. I sort thru resumes and chose valuable candidates, he consults with me prior to making a management decision, handle complaints and support District Mgrs, and assist him with his daily routine. Do you think if I put Assistant Regional Mgr on my resume, that could backfire?

If you weren't a manager as duckie said this will really backfire if they call for references. Just put your actual title on there and then describe your job duties that you completed. I know if one of my employees put they were "asst. manager" when they were just an employee i'd call them out on it pretty quick with references.

Yes, I think it will backfire. That's quite a change in title. Even though you feel you have many responsibilities, you are not the Assistant Regional Manager. You will have to display your responsibilities and accomplishments in your job description, not by changing the title.

Thinking outside of the box, if you feel your current duties are those of an Assistant Regional Manager, ask for a title bump; then you can update your resume quite honestly. Make it clear when you ask that you don't want any extra money or perks, just a change in title to reflect what you do and for your own personal benefit. Dumb or bureaucratic management will refuse because they'll say x generations before you had that title so you should live with it, but smart management will give it to you as an effectively free way of boosting your morale. Of course, very smart management will realise that you want it to increase your chances of leaving the firm altogether and fire you, but there aren't many very smart managers around, so you should be fine.

Thinking outside of the box, if you feel your current duties are those of an Assistant Regional Manager, ask for a title bump; then you can update your resume quite honestly. Make it clear when you ask that you don't want any extra money or perks, just a change in title to reflect what you do and for your own personal benefit. Dumb or bureaucratic management will refuse because they'll say x generations before you had that title so you should live with it, but smart management will give it to you as an effectively free way of boosting your morale. Of course, very smart management will realise that you want it to increase your chances of leaving the firm altogether and fire you, but there aren't many very smart managers around, so you should be fine.

so true but hes a smart cookie.

I've slightly altered job titles but never to language that took away from the actual work I am doing. "manager" has connotations on a resume - I would be very careful about using that word if it wasn't in your job title originally. In one case, I changed my title to match the "acting' position that I was filling - and stated "acting manager" so I had the word out there, but it was clear that it was a temporary appointment. I also went through a phase at work where the company randomly reassigned every one these new titles which meant nothing and were puzzling to figure out. I left my previous job title and then used the new one in the first bullet below with a brief note about changing job codes.

• 8 months later...

Archived